325i, 271s, SA5k which in my system?
May 22, 2005 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
The itch has to be scratched. My current DAC1>EMP>DT770 rig is lovely, but too many cans and not enough time.

So which will nestle nicely in my set-up; i.e. out of a DAC1>EMP...

I am pretty open so let me have it!

May 22, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 13
If you want a more engaging, musical sound, then the 325i. I have the old 325's and the DT770's, both recabled by Larry at Headphile. I like them both a lot, but the 325's end up with about 90% of the playing time.

May 22, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 13
i have the grado 325i's. im prefering them to my senn hd580's (then again, the grado's were $150 more). not that this helps you...but i think they're a great headphone. i auditioned them against the grado 225, and the 325i's were obviously superior.

May 22, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Beware that many (not all) think that DAC1+Grado combo can be too bright or fatiguing. I have no experience on that combo myself.

As for 271s (no bass, not detailed enough) and SA5K (honky, somewhat odd lower bass, hyper-detailed), I don't _personally_ consider them reference class headphones. But that's only my take and I have not used them with DAC1+EMP, so YMMV.

I think people will have an easier time giving you recommendations, if you say what kind of presentation you like and don't like (detail/hyperdetail, laidback/liquid/musical, agressive/bright/tiring, veiled/muddy, etc.)

As for my comments above: remember, these are all personal subjective opinions, so no need to get wound up about them. If you disagree, I can live with it and respect your opinion too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
I think people will have an easier time giving you recommendations, if you say what kind of presentation you like and don't like (detail/hyperdetail, laidback/liquid/musical, agressive/bright/tiring, veiled/muddy, etc.)

I agree. I was hoping some people would just throw out their thoughts so the opaque quality was intentional though maybe badly guided.

The DAC1/Grado combo does worry me, but maybe the Earmax Pro would provide a nice buffer?

I found the DT770 on the harsh side out of the DAC1, added the EMP to help smooth the whole presentation, and it was very effective. Regarding the SA5ks - brightness is once again a hurdle, but the EMP buffer theory is again applied.

A hyper detailed mate for the Beyers is desired, but I am concerned about the SA5K presentation and Senns really don't do it for me. Are there any other options?

Plus, had to attempt a "which cans" question before my post count made it appear ridiculas.
evil_smiley.gif
580smile.gif

May 22, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Never mind the post count. Post count does not one an informed make
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides, everybody's an expert in one's own ears, so post count be damned.

I'm sorry I can't help you on the buffer theory, not having heard EMP.

If you like hyper-detail, I'm quick to agree with many others that SA5k does offer a lot of microdetail, although I find it's frequency balance to be a bit off for a reference quality headphone, and as such it is bound to mask some frequencies at the same time when it's revealing others. Unfortunately there no such thing as an universally reavealing headphone, when it comes to revealing in terms of frequency range (and not just quickness, micro/detail, lack of distortion on driver level, etc).

I can also vouch that for me at least SA5k are a completely different animal to HD6x0 range from Sennheiser. But again, I haven't compared it against Grado 325i.

May 22, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 13
For me, the 325i when paired with correct equipment are NOT bright, unless the recording is. All about synergy.

May 22, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
As for 271s (no bass, not detailed enough)... I don't _personally_ consider them reference class headphones.

What are your thoughts on the 271s purely as a closed headphone? Have you listened to anything with significant isolation that you find more 'reference?'

jesse

May 23, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 13
I've got to chime in and recommend the MS2i's here as a guy who has the 770/80's, 325's and MS2i's... they're the most smoothest transition from a beyer to a grado that does not hurt the pocketbook as much.

May 23, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 13
[offtopic]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
What are your thoughts on the 271s purely as a closed headphone? Have you listened to anything with significant isolation that you find more 'reference?'

[offtopic]
It's one of the best truly closed circumaural headphones using dynamic drivers that I've tried (I haven't tried them all!). However, it does lack lower bass, it does really benefit from a strong amp and it's upper middle / low treble register is a little bit too dark for my taste.

The upside is that it is very easy to listen to, no listening fatigue, although the physical comfort is not the absolute best (they do get hot during summer and I don't even sweat easily myself).

However as they are not what I'm looking for, I'll keep on looking. I'm now using ATH-900, but with different failings. They all have their pros/cons, imho.

It's a matter of finding which one you prefer yourself. YMMV.
[/offtopic]

May 23, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, MS-2s are a great match with the DAC1. SA5000 are also excelllent for my ears. For rock, MS-2s may have the edge but I miss the upper treble of the SA5000 when I'm not using them so they get 95% of my listening time.

For classical, no contest, SA5000. Treble, bass lower frequency reponse, clarity and timbre all seem just right to me.

I don't find the MS-2s bright in any way with the DAC1. I understand the SA5000 may be perceived as a bit bright by some but I love the slightly exagerated upper treble they give with the DAC1. Neither headphone is fatiguing. Keep in mind the ulltradetail of the Sony's works very well if you listen with volume a bit lower. Makes long listening sessions a pleasure.

Oh, and for comfort Sony over Grado. Sad but true.

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back