320kbs AAC versus Apple Lossless on a 4G iPod
Jan 19, 2005 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
For headphones, I have the ER4-P/S, the SR-60, and a KSC-35. I just have the Porta Corda for my amp.

I haven't looked into listening and comparing the Lossless and 320kbps AAC yet. Is it worth it to have lossless? For home listening, is it a big deal to get a Sik Din or Pocketdock for line-out listening with lossless and is there a discernible difference between the two compression formats?

I'm asking because I still have my 2G iPod and it can't play lossless...

Thanks,
Marvin

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Is it worth it to have lossless?

No, not even 320AAC. If you absolutely must use AAC that high, definately go lossless instead.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 33
To me 320 AAC was worth it but Lossless was not. Lossless files are twice the size and the sound difference is very subtle, even on good equipment.

I'm running a line out to a Gilmore Lite + Power Supply and listening with Grado 225s.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 33
I'd say lossless is only worth it if you can run a digital out to a better DAC or at home with one of the nicer soundcards. The ipod is the limiting factor, not the file format. On the go, I'm very happy with 224 AAC but at home I have everything in lossless too.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 33
even with the etys i dont know if lossless can be granted, unless your super anal.

theres a space to quality issue that have to decide on, but see link in my sig, it might help you.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 33
Really only your ears can tell, so you should try a test yourself of the formats. Aside from that, the percent that can tell the difference is even going to get smaller on the iPod and its DAC. Plus you may find the differences between 256 (or maybe even 224) and 320 smaller than then jump to lossless. You may want to try 224/256 (getting under Apples 9Mb per song limit for best bat life) against ALAC. It's a pretty significant battery life difference. I couldn't deal with the drop, so I'm using 256 now.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 33
Guys, thanks for all the replies. I suppose I'll just stick to 320 or 256 since I only have a portable set-up.

One noob question though -- as Jeffemeister mentioned, how do you run the iPod through an external sound card? Maybe I can try that in the future if I ever go lossless and have the time to set up...

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Guys, thanks for all the replies. I suppose I'll just stick to 320 or 256 since I only have a portable set-up.

One noob question though -- as Jeffemeister mentioned, how do you run the iPod through an external sound card? Maybe I can try that in the future if I ever go lossless and have the time to set up...

you can't. i meant lossless is best left to your home computer with a good soundcard. the ipod has no digital output capability.

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
even with the etys i dont know if lossless can be granted, unless your super anal.

theres a space to quality issue that have to decide on, but see link in my sig, it might help you.

infiskik -- nice comparison chart on the formats. Thanks...

Jan 19, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 33
i'm running 320 right now through my iPod. i can barely tell the difference between 320 and 224 with my portable setup, so i'll probably end up jumping back to 224 and save myself some HD space.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 33
Hmm... I should probably keep a lossless copy and then feed itunes 256/320 versions. Is there Mac software out there for this?

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 33
I assume you mean feed the iPod. Not that I'm aware of but would really like it if the Shuffle change to iTunes would allow on the fly "down-coding" to a user selectable setting (not just 128).

I kinda hate having all the space and navigating through double copies of everything (I have ALAC and 256 of each).

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

I kinda hate having all the space and navigating through double copies of everything (I have ALAC and 256 of each).

yea that sucks!, when did my comparisons i had like 5 AAC formats and it was killing me.

but your welcome , just glad it helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back