320kbps Vs. ALAC
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #106 of 112
I don't think that any human can tell the difference between AAC and lossless in a line level matched blind test. I think the people who claim they can haven't done line levelling or are gaming the test.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #107 of 112
Quote:
I don't think that any human can tell the difference between AAC and lossless in a line level matched blind test. I think the people who claim they can haven't done line levelling or are gaming the test.

How are you doing the line level matching?

My replaygain shows a 0.06db difference in one of my converted tracks, that's pretty tiny.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #108 of 112
I put a preamp in the line to balance the level.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #109 of 112
Between lossless and AAC *what*? I mean, you know it's a variable encoder right? Clearly not all amounts of information will produce the same result.

Quote:

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #110 of 112
AAC 256

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #112 of 112

Even that is probably overkill for a lot of music.

the moment an Audiophile starts to compare the clarity between digital files,
they start to stop enjoying the MUSIC and start worrying..

Exactly.  I keep lossless around for backups.  AAC, Vorbis, MP3 at higher bitrates are good enough and will save you lots of space on a portable.

EDIT:  A couple suggestions for the OP.  First off, start ripping with a program that employs AccurateRip such as dBpoweramp (Windows & Mac) or XLD if you're on a Mac.  Second, I would take a piece of music you know well, and see how low you can take the bitrate before you start to notice the effects of the compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back