320kbps mp3 vs 128kbps aac
Jul 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xlezia

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using 128kbps mp3 and have decided to use better audio file. Which one has a better sound quality? I am currently using a Shure SE425 with my Redmi Note 4G phone. If AAC is better, can someone tell me how to convert from youtube to aac as all I can find is 128kbps aac

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I have been using 128kbps mp3 and have decided to use better audio file. Which one has a better sound quality? I am currently using a Shure SE425 with my Redmi Note 4G phone. If AAC is better, can someone tell me how to convert from youtube to aac as all I can find is 128kbps aac
That depends on what the YouTube was encoded at. I would bet it was at the lowest bit rate for streaming purposes and most likely 128 so converting a lower bit rate to higher will not get you anywhere. I'm sure the the phone will play more than AAC files .

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 10
You will get the best possible audio quality by extracting the audio stream directly. Youtube audio is already encoded to 128Kbps AAC. Use a downloader that will extract that AAC audio stream without transcoding it.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 10
AAC is known to have better quality than MP3 at low bit rates like 128kbps, but once you get into higher bitrates like 256kbps and above, the differences become pretty much indistinguishable and most people can't reliably tell the difference between them or even lossless formats. I'd say just go for higher bitrate files in general, regardless of encoding format as long as your source can play them. As for Youtube, I only rip audio streams from Youtube videos if I can't find the audio anywhere else. I use http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Your best solution is to find high bitrate audio files from sources other than Youtube that are reputable, like Amazon MP3.

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Every time you convert audio or video, you will most likely lose at least a little quality.  That may not matter if the quality is already high, but turning 320 mp3 into 320 aac doesn't gain you anything.  

People can argue about it, but a similar aac file is probably around 30% smaller at same quality as an mp3.  
As was said, at higher bitrates, quality difference is harder to notice.

Youtube may have changed what it does with audio, but watching a video in HD can increase the audio quality as well.  I think Youtube's current official statement is all audio is the same, but I haven't found that to be true.  But maybe the files I tested were uploaded further in the past.

Various of my files from Youtube have 192 aac.  (Then again, maybe it's just the download program setting the bitrate to that since I've read youtube doesn't use normal aac.)  Regardless, it's not as good as 320, but imo it's a good bit better than people who say Youtube audio is complete garbage that isn't worth listening to.

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Do you know how to edit tags on AAC files? It doesn't allow me to edit

In clipconverter.cc there is a check box called "Use ID3v2 Tags" which will allow you to enter some basic tag info. With existing AAC files or for more advanced tag options you can use any number of free programs like foobar2000 or mp3tag.

Every time you convert audio or video, you will most likely lose at least a little quality.  That may not matter if the quality is already high, but turning 320 mp3 into 320 aac doesn't gain you anything.  

People can argue about it, but a similar aac file is probably around 30% smaller at same quality as an mp3.  
As was said, at higher bitrates, quality difference is harder to notice.

Youtube may have changed what it does with audio, but watching a video in HD can increase the audio quality as well.  I think Youtube's current official statement is all audio is the same, but I haven't found that to be true.  But maybe the files I tested were uploaded further in the past.

Various of my files from Youtube have 192 aac.  (Then again, maybe it's just the download program setting the bitrate to that since I've read youtube doesn't use normal aac.)  Regardless, it's not as good as 320, but imo it's a good bit better than people who say Youtube audio is complete garbage that isn't worth listening to.

I use SVPTube which allows me to stream youtube videos in MPC-HC. MPC reports that the audio coded in Youtube's MP4 videos is 128Kbps AAC, and it is Vorbis (it doesn't say the bitrate) in the VP9/WebM videos. Watching youtube in a browser should use the WebM/VP9 format so it most likely is using Vorbis for the audio. You can see in the "Stats for nerds" box which video format it's playing. Youtube downloaders probably use the MP4 AAC format instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back