32 Headphone Brands Ranked from Worst to First
Nov 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Swansboy

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Just bumped into this: "32 Headphone Brands Ranked from Worst to First" by pickyear.com They awarded Audeze as the best headphone brand. Curious to know what do you think of the list. 

32)   Beats by Dre
31)   JBL
30)   Sol Republic
29)   Skullcandy
28)   JLab
27)   Monster
26)   House of Marley
25)   Brainwavz
24)   Plantronics
23)   Pioneer
22)   Philips
21)   Onkyo
20)   Koss
19)   Klipsch
18)   Sony
17)   Ultrasone
16)   Creative
15)   JVC
14)   Bose
13)   Panasonic
12)   SoundMagic
11)   AKG
10)  Shure
9)    Audio-Technica
8)    Sennheiser
7)    BeoPlay
6)    HiFiMan
5)    Bowers & Wilkins
4)    PSB
3)    Grado
2)    Beyerdynamic
1)    Audeze

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Exactly. I came across the list through a FB advertisement by Audeze. Thought the list could be a marketing ploy. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 12
I think the list is quite impressive, considering how it is made. Celebrity endorsed headphones at the bottom, large electronic companies in the middle and headpohone companies at the top. They even got ultrasones rankign right. Even audeze's #1 spot makes sense. They make only expensive headphones and because of that they propably get mainly good reviews. Even if the headphone was no good a person would have trouble reviewing their new purchase at 1/5 because people like to justify their expensive purchases, even if it takes some mind tricks.

PSb should not be on the list because of the limited headphone line they offer. That goes for beoplay too. If those are included they should have included focal too. And that could have made some big changes in the list. Like someone pointed out, fostex and denon are also missing. Imo biggest name missing is STAX. They would propably be #1 if included. Like audeze, the headphones are expensive but stax headphones are unlikely to be bought by someone who "needs moar bazzZZ" and give them a bad rating for lacking bass. They propably would deserve the #1 spot anyway. I don't think I've ever read about stax headphone and seen someone say:  "Stax model X is good but product Z is better at the same price". They seem to be best at all the price ranges they offer their products.  Of course comparing e-stats with their amp demands is kind of pointless so it might make sense not to incluse stax in the list in the first place.

My favorate for #1 would be audio technica. They don't have a proper high end flagship at the moment but as bang for the buck their products are always awesome be it $20-500 headphones. I have not heard a bad audio technica headphone. There are quite a few bad sennheiser and beyerdynamics out there. #2 would definately be sennheiser. hd600/650 came out on top from the dt880/k701/hd600/hd650 battle same happened with hd800. T1 and k812 were not a match commercially or by reviews either.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 12
IMHO, Sony (though not a dedicated headphone companies) should have been placed higher. They do have some horrendous headphones in their line up, but they do have some very very good ones as well. I find Sony does have a taste for good sound (which is relative and may not be the same as neutral / high fidelity sound signature).

As a previous member rightly mentioned, Fostex and Denon are major omissions. Agree with Roderick on Audio Technica. Though I havelistened to only three headphones from AT - M50x, ATH-PRO700MK2  and WS 99 - all of them were excellent.     

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 12
No ZMF, Mr Speakers, Denon, Fostex, etc.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back