30gb or 40gb?
Oct 15, 2003 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mdmania

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about upgrading my zen xtra to 40gb, but I already put in as much 1,000 songs on it and I don't know if it's worth starting over just to have an extra 10gb of space. What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth paying extra $50.00 for extra space or should I spend the $50.00 for the spare battery instead? Thanks you very much.

Oct 16, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 5
My opinion is that you can never have enough space and the more space you have, the better.

Then again, you could have a small collection of music and don't require that much space or you don't mind deleting some music and replacing it with others.

For me, I am always buying and downloading music, so I wanted to make sure I had enough space. That is why I went for the Zen 2.0 60GB since I knew at the time that 20GB was just not enough space.

Jumping from 30 to 40GB is not that significant...why not jump to the Zen Xtra 60GB? Perhaps you are on a tight budget?

I'm not sure how you are encouding your music, but as a general rule of thumb, if you are encoding at 192 kbits, you can expect an aveage CD to take up about 100 MB of space (plus/minus 25GB or so).

biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I think I might just hold on to my 30gb and look into buying an extra battery in case this one dies.
You are right 40gb is not that significant. I think the 60gb would be awesome to have but I think Creative only sell this on their shopping online service....thanks again!

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 5
You bought your Zen Xtra at the right time. A lot of people bought the Zen NX, and are trying to figure out how they got screwed and how can they exchange their units.

If you get a chance, write a short review and let us know what you think of it.

wink.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually I already did wrote my initial impression on this before:
And this what I wrote before:

Hi Folks,
First of all this is not a joke. There is an actual Zen Xtra unit available now at Best Buy. So check your BB nearby and nope, I'm not affiliated with them.
I recently exchanged my Zen NX 20gb when I learned that BB carry this particular unit, and at the beginning I was indisbelief because of the accumulated rumors that were going on all over the forums and there is nowhere insight you can find any information on this. Thank God that one of the guy from nomadness.net posted his 40gb Nomad Zen NX Xtra there and told us about it.
So to make story short. I exchanged my nx 20 for Zen Xtra 30gb paying only $50.00 more, but I thought it was well worth paying for. My initial impression with the unit was that having larger LCD and bluelight to go along with it made the unit more impressive. It doesn't look as cheap and it feels more solidly built. The scroll wheel appears to be higher than the one on the NX and makes it easier to go through menu.
As far as the features go, there is a Shuffle repeat. I believed that this wasn't included on the NX, but I could be wrong. And finally on the profile setting (Style menu) you have an option of either changing the setting from List or Tabbed. Tabbed almost reminds me of the set up from Iriver Slim-x.
Overall, comparing this to NX as far as features goes, they are both about the same. The only significant differences between the two is the LCD, the return of the blue light from the original Zen and maybe the scroll wheel. Unfortunately there is no additional outputs or any access for remote control.

BTW: 30gb = 299
40gb = 349
60gb = ? There is this add I saw at nomadness.net that there is going to be a 60gb version. Check out nomadness.net forum and see it from there.

Thanks!

Sound familiar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back