$300x3 stereo
Mar 9, 2005 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

das_bill

100+ Head-Fier
I want to set a little stereo. Right now my equipment is antique. A Dynaco 400watt amp with Some old Boston Acoustic Bookshelf speakers, a pre amp and an old 5 disc sony cd changer.

I want to spend $300 on speakers $300 dollars on an amp and $300 dollars on a source.

I was thinking a Sony SCD-CE595 sacd player, 2 pairs of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers and, I don't know some cheap denon amp. My choices were a little cheaper than my limit but I heard good things about both of them.

ANY advice would be nice. The $400 tops for any part of the system but money has to be subtracked from another part. Advice on any part would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 12
The Primus 150 are pretty good low end speakers. I used them for a while before I got my RB-35's. Most of my friends couldn't tell the difference. They're a a bit on the bright side. You can get them for $120 a pair though, so you might have some left in your budget for a subwoofer (Velodyne VX-10 pairs pretty well with them...it's like $135 shipped from 6ave.com). I think the Primus 150's are great speakers though, and for anyone on a budget, they're a steal.

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 12
I would put all of the money into the amp and speakers. A NAD/PSB combo would be nice. I think the 4T towers are around $450 a pair and a c320bee integrated at around $425 would do you right. That combo should give you an idea of how your source really sounds and then you pick something that might will match well with the tonal balance of the rest of the system.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 12
The PSB 4t Towers? I can't find these speakers. The t45s retail price seems to be 700 dollars. Could you give me the exact name of these speakers or a link or something. Thanks for the advice though.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Sorry I found the speakers, they are no longer produced (I think) that is why I couldn't find them on the PSB website. I am going to try my Dynaco amp with some other speakers and see what I get from them. But I will definatly be getting new speakers this summer and a new source. I really want to hear what SACD has to offer.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Are diy speakers an option?

I wouldn't get an amp either.

Source...is also questionable. If the 595 is like my 775, the redbook is no good at all compared to my emu1212m.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 12
You've already got it...Worth a shot to try it out. '70's dollars were worth considerably more than the dollar today, I think. There are plenty of budget oriented amps today if you're not afraid of new things (digital amps.)

No diy speakers?

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 12
After researching for over a year, I built the mbow1 from this page: http://murphyblaster.com/

madisound.com's forum is imo the friendliest diy speaker forum, and some of the best designers post there.

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 12
The PSB 4T's are available from SoundCity.com on closeout. Get them while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back