$300ish - Headphones and Portable Amp(optional) - advice wanted!
May 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cosy

New Head-Fier
Buying my first pair of over-ear or on-ear headphones.  I've been through the forums and Head Gear section a million times and want some advice from yall.  I play percussion but need something a little portable as well, love my music...  Would like them "great" un-amped but "killer" amped if its applicable, so if I can get a good portable amp AND headphones for around $300, I'd be willing to consider it. So far on the list? I've been looking real hard at the M50's... is all that hype worth something? and if so, would it be worth it to get a $150ish portable amp with the M50's?!

Throw me your opinions. I'm new to this scene but I know how to appreciate great sound, help!

May 11, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 2
The M50 has a "V' shaped EQ, which means recessed mids.  They were originally around $100, but haven't been near that price point for quite a while.

Beyond the open Grado family, their are a limited number of quality cans that will give you their full sound signature, or nearly so, unamped.  More neutral closed choices in that group, within your price range, include the Shure SRH 840, Ultrasone HiFi 780, KRK KNS6400, V-Moda M-80, Sony MDR-V900HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back