~$300 to upgrade, use on iPhone 3G or Cowon Q5W?
May 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

subtle.desensitizer

New Head-Fier
I have:
A Massive FLAC collection
A soon to purchase iPhone 3G due to non-audio needs
A Cowon Q5W 40 GB
Sennheiser HD280 Pros with ripped foam ear-thingies
I have a powerful enough computer to convert my FLAC into any format I want so do not worry about the format of the digital music.
~$300 to spend on audio equipment
In what areas should I start researching? After searching in the forum, it appears that Cowon's are great "If used with FLAC and SPDIF out"
But I also hear that iPhone 3G's have great DAC's
Which would be the most cost effective?

May 7, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 8
I am not limited by format of audio I own, which is relevant because the Cowon can play FLAC. I own a Cowon Q5W and soon an iPhone 3G. If I am spending around ~$300 on portable audio equipment to get good sound quality since my headphones ATM suck, should it be towards the Cowon or the iPhone? I researched and found out a lot about the Cowon and digital output but I am not sure if I can get both headphones and a DAC for ~$300 which are quality and I have a feeling it would be easier for the iPhone.

May 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really an apples to apples discussion. Iphone is a multimedia toy; does a lot of things pretty well. Including music. AFAIK, the Cowon is a thoroughbred racing horse of a music player.

Depends what you are looking for.

Awesome!
So I should go for "SPDIF" output then?

May 12, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 8
So if you are asking what to get (iPhone or Cowon), then I would say that it depends on what you want. If you are going for just a player and aren't planning on using an Amp, then the Cowon would be better (IMO).

If you want to upgrade your headphones and get an amp/lod, then the ipod would give better sound depending on what equipment you have hooked up to it.

So basically...
If you are willing to spend more money, the iPhone would be a little better, but they are both amazing players.

Go look at reviews of the two and compare and contrast them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back