~$300 to BLOW!
Apr 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ohhgourami

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I'm kinda new to this whole audiophile thing. Throughout my life, I've always loved music and it's the thing that makes my day complete.

I was planning on spending this money on a phone but since I'm getting that phone for free now, I have ~300 to spend on some IEMs. Shure SE530's are kinda what I'm leaning to but I'm not sure if that's what's best for me. I'm usually big listener of extreme metal, but I go off on long tangents with Chinese pop and 80's music (let it be metal or just all that pop stuff). I'm currently using a 3rd gen ipod nano (garbage I know...) but I plan on getting a Cowon J3 when it's released and have the cash for it
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure on what to get. It seems like balanced armature seems like the way to go for IEMs but my friend says dynamics have more feel. He just got his Monster Miles Davis headphones and they seem pretty damn good. The bass is strong but it could use a lil more clarity. I want clarity but I also want it to feel like I'm at a live concert. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? My friend says the Shure 530s are kinda old now and better technology has replaced them.

Guys got any IEMs you can recommend me?

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 41
The OP said he wants IEM, so we should recommend him some IEMs. So have your friend burned in his Miles Davis? Are you a basshead at all? Dynamic usually does not have a transient speed that's as fast as balanced armature phones, and transient and speed is quite important in listening to rock.

Audio Technica Ck-10 or CK-100 is pretty good for their mid and highs, but those two might be a bit shy on the bass. Shure SE530 is quite old now, and the improved SE530, SE535 is coming out soon.

There are so many choices, I recommend looking out for Senn's IE8, JVC FX-700, Ortofon e-Q7, Westone 3, Westone UM3X, UE TF 10, etc...

Check out this link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/t...-often-476315/

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 41
Well he noticed an improvement in quality after I used them for a bit as I cranked up the music pretty high hehe. You guys have so much jargon that I don't understand yet (sorry), but I'll learn. I'm actually not a basshead at all, although good bass is necessary. I like it nice and punchy. It seems like I need IEMs that are more allaround, but treble is probably my focus.

When are the SE535s expected to come out? Will they still be in my price range?

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhgourami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well he noticed an improvement in quality after I used them for a bit as I cranked up the music pretty high hehe. You guys have so much jargon that I don't understand yet (sorry), but I'll learn. I'm actually not a basshead at all, although good bass is necessary. I like it nice and punchy. It seems like I need IEMs that are more allaround, but treble is probably my focus.

When are the SE535s expected to come out? Will they still be in my price range?

I am not sure when it will come out, but should be this year. If you really can't wait, just check out the link I gave you there. There is also another link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...2-08-a-335851/

This one has review for 60 IEMs, just scroll to the section which fits your budget. He also has a rating chart at the end of his review.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...4-13-a-478568/

Oh, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet (they like to say this, dont know why...)

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 41
probably from the high diminishing returns in the audio world hehehehe

I plan to get my new phone, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (SOOOOO EXCITED!!!), some time next week hopefully then I'll purchase headphone. I might even just play music with that phone for the meantime for practicality reasons as it is a really big phone.

Right now, I'm strongly leaning towards the Ortofon e-Q7's! Just slightly worried about the comfort of these but it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. These also seem pretty new which makes me happy as they won't be obsolete for awhile.

You guys have about a week to persuade me to get something "better" for the price!

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 41
Perhaps you should check out some comparisons between e-Q7 and Miles Davis before you drop the bomb. AFAIK, Miles Davis can be considered pretty detailed...

Anyhow, if you have another 300 to drop, spend it on a good amp, then we are talking real business here
L3000.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
next month t50p.

How on earth can you recommend a headphone that hasn't come out yet? Has anyone heard it? Have you heard it?

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should check out some comparisons between e-Q7 and Miles Davis before you drop the bomb. AFAIK, Miles Davis can be considered pretty detailed...

Anyhow, if you have another 300 to drop, spend it on a good amp, then we are talking real business here
L3000.gif

Still leaning towards the e-Q7s over the MDs. I'll keep on trying out my friends MDs this week to see how they perform after they are burned in.

Once I have another 300 to spend, the money is going to a Cowon J3
biggrin.gif

Do you think it will be good enough without an amp?

Although an amp will definitely make things sound better, I'm trying to avoid getting an amp as they seem to make things so bulky. I'm trying to carry as few items in my pockets as possible. I already have enough stuff to carry around while I walk around in college.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How on earth can you recommend a headphone that hasn't come out yet? Has anyone heard it? Have you heard it?

I recommended waiting for them, not buying them, there is a difference, I want the OP member to get the best ones in his price range.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 41
Havent heard of that model before, I dont pay much attention on Cowon yet. As for sound quality, the S:Flo2 will deliver, and it has a lineout too. I suppose Cowon is pretty good too.

Well, you dont have to get the same IEM as your friend, since you can borrow from him
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 41
hmmm I only heard of Cowon because I heard its the best. But I must say the S:Flo2 is also very appealing. It's not as aesthetically pleasing but its significantly cheaper.

The J3 seems to be an upgrade to the current S9 which has an AMOLED screen and like a million equalizer settings. The J3 hasn't been released yet but there have been leaks of it. If that thing has wifi, it may eliminate the need for my new phone all together hehehe. When I think about it, I may never use the J3 to watch video so a nice screen might be useless for me. Thanks for bringing up the S:Flo2.

Just joined this forum and learning so much already!!!

Also, where is the best place to buy the e-Q7's? Legit and good price preferably located in the US (I WANT THEM FAST ONCE I ORDER
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back