$300 to 650 dollar range amp recommendations please
Dec 21, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #31 of 37
Roland: Sorry, I forgot to answer. Well, the reason was, that a solid state amp like the Corda would need less care than a tube amp like the EMP, which probably at least needs to be dusted off once in a while...
wink.gif
So it was more the practical aspects that I had in mind. And, of course, as I'm very happy with my HA-1 and exspecting the HA-2 to be even better, this seemed to be a much safer bet to me than the EMP, which I haven't heard but read mixed comments about.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 22, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #32 of 37
I'm currently holding a bid on a pair of Grado HP-2 and a Melos SHA-1. I'm thinking these would pair up great and offer stunning sound at an "affordable" (that might be kinda relative to whatever, ya know...) price. Does anyone think I should seriously look into another amp in the < $650 price range (gilmore, HA-2...) or is it general consens that the SHA-1 and HP-2 make a good to excellent combo? (Your opinions please!)

I am looking forward to your replies.

Thank you,
Roland

Dec 23, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #33 of 37
I need more experience with various amps, however...the RA-1 does some sweet magic with Grados and my Etymotics. The Melos SHA-X was good with the RS-1s but not close to the syngery apparent with the RA-1. The Melos SHA-X/HP-1 system is the best I have ever heard though... headphone dependent I guess.

Dec 23, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #35 of 37
The Melos' were specifically designed to drive the older Grados (HP series).

Mark

Dec 23, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #36 of 37
the Melos make the HD600 sound very sweet, also. you have to crank up the volume control, but they are really sweet sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back