300 the movie: how was it?
Mar 10, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 135
It was a decent movie, I didn't mind watching it. The fight scenes and effects were really good, but that's about it. The story and plot were blah. The acting was alright. I didn't think it really lived up to the hype though.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 135
Should be spoiler free.

The Good:
  1. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ got translated correctly. I was worried they were going to say "Come get some!" or some other nonsense.
  2. Visuals... well, lets just say the movie makes for lots of great stills.
  3. They got the battle strategy partially correct. The Thespians were left out, the Athenian naval victory was left out, etc. Understandable given that they wanted to glorify the Spartans more.

The Bad:
  1. It's a literal comic book translation. The source of most of the flaws. Comic books make good comic books. Good movies require more.
  2. The acting ain't there. Sin City had a great cast and got a lot out of them. 300 didn't on both counts.
  3. Not enough characterization. In a movie where all the good guys die, it helps if the audience actually cares about the good guys.
  4. Bad guys are just generic cannon fodder.
  5. Horrible tactics. Hoplites with no armor ain't hoplites and shouldn't fight as hoplites. Not enough spears.
  6. The less I say about how Xerxes was portrayed, the better.
  7. Visuals. Way overdone.
  8. Music. Really, they should have decided that it wasn't a historical swords and sandals epic and went without the "period" music.
  9. Constant nonsense about fighting for freedom as free men.
  10. I want to see battles dammit. Stop with the godforsaken stylized crap and fancy camera work.

Overall, 300 will be resigned to the mental dustbin once the next CG extravaganza is released. Very disappointing.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 135
^ AGREE COMPLETELY ^
frown.gif

The group I went with really liked the film but I didn't like it at all. The ending was especially disappointing for me.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be spoiler free.

The Good:
  1. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ got translated correctly. I was worried they were going to say "Come get some!" or some other nonsense.
  2. Visuals... well, lets just say the movie makes for lots of great stills.
  3. They got the battle strategy partially correct. The Thespians were left out, the Athenian naval victory was left out, etc. Understandable given that they wanted to glorify the Spartans more.

The Bad:
  1. It's a literal comic book translation. The source of most of the flaws. Comic books make good comic books. Good movies require more.
  2. The acting ain't there. Sin City had a great cast and got a lot out of them. 300 didn't on both counts.
  3. Not enough characterization. In a movie where all the good guys die, it helps if the audience actually cares about the good guys.
  4. Bad guys are just generic cannon fodder.
  5. Horrible tactics. Hoplites with no armor ain't hoplites and shouldn't fight as hoplites. Not enough spears.
  6. The less I say about how Xerxes was portrayed, the better.
  7. Visuals. Way overdone.
  8. Music. Really, they should have decided that it wasn't a historical swords and sandals epic and went without the "period" music.
  9. Constant nonsense about fighting for freedom as free men.
  10. I want to see battles dammit. Stop with the godforsaken stylized crap and fancy camera work.

Overall, 300 will be resigned to the mental dustbin once the next CG extravaganza is released. Very disappointing.

Seems like you were more hung up on "historical inaccuracies" though you kept in mind that the movie was based on the comic book... the fact that there were those inaccuracies bothered you a bit much.

So it seems of course

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 135
I had no expectations going in, and I had no qualms if it was historically inaccurate.

I thought it was great. I liked the stylization, and I thought the actors did a fairly decent job given the lack of focus and buildup on characterization. Not perfect by any means, but honestly better than I thought it'd be.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 135
I enjoyed it thoroughly, though I knew ahead of time what to expect. Super stylised ultra violence.

Some of the CG could have used some work but why the hell did they not fight the decapitator with the sowrd arms?!?! That would have been awesome!

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed it thoroughly, though I knew ahead of time what to expect. Super stylised ultra violence.

I as well; did the IMAX last night, and it was a treat.

The movie is what it is. Most should know whether they want to see or not.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 135
Went with a couple guys last night. Excellent movie! Reminded me of the Gladiator and the Matrix spinned into one awesome thrillride of CG awesomeness. That was some of the best filming I've seen in a movie in a while. The way the whole movie looked was just perfect, and the slow-motion was cool because you could see the actual warriors fighting in slow motion instead of the usual blur, although, I must admit, this was a bit overused and they should have had more constant-speed scenes, err, actually, I can't think of any. You definitely get your money's worth, though. The movie just doesn't let down at all (except for the weird parts with Xerxes... whatever that thing is). I actually thought the ending was very good. The guy who was "Farmir" who plays some one-eyed character in this movie did a great job with what role he had. He was a completely different character in this movie, surprisingly.

But yeah, overall, it was excellent. Lots of deaths, blood, limbs hacked off, minimal kissing scenes, although the sex scene was COMPLETELY unnecessary, and, of course, a good hero, and a good ending. Historically accurate? Uhhh... who cares? Go watch the history channel, I came to watch a movie.

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Historically accurate? Uhhh... who cares? Go watch the history channel, I came to watch a movie.

Precisely! Going into the movie, I expected it to just be another Troy mixed with Gladiator and a little Matrix thrown in. To my wild surprise, it surpassed my expectations with flying colors! I didn't want to watch a 2 hour long history lesson, no no. I wanted a 2 hour long bloody battle epic and that's exactly what I got and more. It is easily the most enjoyable movie that I have seen in at least the past year.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 135
Yeah, the fights scenes were cool. I think they also did a very good job of putting "HDR" effect on the whole movie. The fights could really get you pumped, and the effects placed a sense of etherealness on the places and the people. But other than those, not much.

I got a few ideas for my sword and staff choreography, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back