300: the movie - are you going to watch it
Feb 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 51
I don't think it'll do too well in the US. Too artsy and about a story most people don't know. yeah good luck with that
smily_headphones1.gif
Sin City did ok, but nothing special at the box office, and this one isn't exactly full of stars is it?

It'll do ok, no more i'd say.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 51
No matter how good the movie is, movie-ticket audiences aren't big fans of Greek history. I predict bad boxoffice, mediocre at best.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 51
I hate to burst the bubble, but the Spartans lost the battle, so if this movie does resemble history, then it won't be a movie about an vastly-outnumbered that somehow won against a much bigger army. The Spartans lost the battle, but ultimately the Hellenes won the war.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #24 of 51
I'm there... I'm not sure it will live up to they hype but if nothing else it should be a visual treat.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #25 of 51
Feb 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

It's hard to say facts as it was a time when documentation varied. Some say there were 2,000 persians, some say 30,000, and there's even some documentation that says there were 1,000,000 persians. Fact? Eh, no one knows. It's losely based on facts.

History has always been written by the victors and legends are written by those who need something to hold on to.

The number of persians is just arbitrary.

The fact that the free men of Sparta fought till death, defended against the mightiest fighting force of their time. Those 300 men ushered in one of the greatest eras of our civilzation.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it'll do too well in the US. Too artsy and about a story most people don't know. yeah good luck with that
smily_headphones1.gif
Sin City did ok, but nothing special at the box office, and this one isn't exactly full of stars is it?

It'll do ok, no more i'd say.

Too artsy? What do you mean by that? I've seen the commercial and it looked like a normal american action movie with good special effects and whatever.

I don't plan on seeing it even though there is a good chance I will really like it. I just hate seeing movies I don't love enough that going won't be worth it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that the free men of Sparta fought till death, defended against the mightiest fighting force of their time. Those 300 men ushered in one of the greatest eras of our civilzation.

Being Greek I need to mention that 300 were the Spartan fighters in the battle. Each one was carrying a team of 5-6 slaves which brings the total number of people defending around 2-3k.

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #30 of 51
Looks like The History Channel will be doing a bit on it in March

Quote:

It is 480 B.C., at the height of the Greco-Persian war, and King Xerxes of Persia has amassed the largest army ever assembled in his quest to conquer Greece. Marching toward the narrow pass at Thermopylae, the million-man Persian army is opposed by only 300 Spartan warriors and a few thousand other Greek soldiers. Facing impossible odds, and knowing they would all die, the 300 and their allies held the pass for seven days, inflicting shocking casualties on the Persians and allowing thousands of their fellow Greek soldiers to escape to fight another day. In this thrilling special, we recreate this historic clash of arms with computer animation, virtual sets, and live action that produce a stunning and unforgettable contemporary view of the battle. This is the story of Thermopylae – next to Custer's, the most famous last stand in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back