$300 Portables?
Jun 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DarthUnnamed

100+ Head-Fier
Driving primarily through a Galaxy S3, i'm looking at either over-ear's or universal fit iem's. I listen to hip hop, electronic, alt. rock, indie rock, etc (basically everything from bassy to more vocal heavy stuff). Though hip hop/electronic isn't all i listen to, bass is still pretty important for me.

As for over-ear's, the only one i'm really interested is the m100's seeing as they're actually portable (cliq-fold). I need isolation, durability, as well as actual portability. Because of this, the momentum's are off the list (they aren't foldable). I know next to nothing about higher end iem's, so any advice would help.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 8
A good place to start with IEMs would be the Brainwavz M2.  Add in some Comply T-400 foam tips and you have yourself a great IEM that seals well, sounds great, and is built very well.

Here are the measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

They seal well enough using the Comply tips that I can use them on planes without having to crank the volume.  I enjoy the sound signature of the M2 because it has good bass extension and a even better midrange.

Total Cost:
$85 or less for the Brainwavz M2
$25 or less for the Comply T-400 foam tips ( I use mediums and have pretty small ears )

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 8
Any other advice? I've also been looking at the monster turbine copper pros, they're on sale for $180 now.

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Be aware that Monster Turbine Copper Pro IEMs have fakes running around.  I also think that the M2 sounds more neutral and is built way better.  Plus if you break the M2 it will not cost you another $180 or more to have them replaced.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 8
I know next to nothing about higher end iem's, so any advice would help.

Have you seen the reviews in this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-287-iems-compared-hidition-nt-6-ciem-added-06-23-13-p-715

It can help.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Why only over-ears vs. IEM's?  That seems a huge difference in type, especially when perhaps the highest quality, most rugged option you can purchase would be on-ear.  Ever heard the HD25-1 II or the Amperior?  Even the V-Moda M-80 would seem a better choice than over-ear for a quality portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back