$300 Over-the-Ear Portable Headphones - BASS, COMFORT, NO SWEATY EARS
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

unaverage

New Head-Fier
I've had the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250OHMs, but I just recently got busy with a new job and can't lug around my amp setup everywhere. I then got the Sennheiser IE-80 earphones which were astounding BUT isolation was a problem and they did not fit correctly in my ears and thus, I had major, physical ear fatigue.

So... no IEMs, and no high-impedance headphones... I do have a FiiO e7 amp to bring around if needed, but around 32OHMs max. 

I've looked at the V-Moda M100s but I'm afraid of the memory cushions as I have had headphones with similar padding and my ears got HOT quickly, and I HATE that, absolutely destroys my listening experience, velour padding or something similar is HIGHLY-DESIRED. I looked at the Sennheiser Momentum Over-the-Ear headphones but I heard many reviews saying the bass was nothing notable, and I am a big EDM-fan, however, I do like my rock such as Breaking Benjamin/Staind, etc... yet these too have the same padding as the V-Moda!

So, list a bunch of headphones that tailor to these needs and I'll be greatly thankful, I will reply often! THANKS! 

--- Anything around $300 or lower if they are truly great headphones for these needs, max $350!

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 16
My 2 cents as a casual listener who enjoys more "fun" sounding headphones. I've owned Shure 215 and 315, Monster gold and coppers, some Beats IEMs.I currently own Yamaha EPH-100s,  I have some Sennheiser 220s, Denon D2000, Grado SR80i and Senn Momentum Over ears. Also own a pair of the IE80s ( also a pair of knockoffs... long story)

I totally dig my real IE80s. Awesome soundstage for IEMs, fun bass, decent mids and clear although somewhat subdued highs. Of the cans that I own I think they're most comparable to the Denon D2000s, however, I wouldn't call the Denons portable and they've been discontinued.

The Sennheiser Momentums are comfy and light although the ear cups are surprisingly small. When I received them I had a moment where I thought I got screwed and had received the on ears. I didn't... For larger ears they may be problematic and just barely work for me. They have what I would describe as the fun sound I dig. The mids aren't as forward as the Denons or IE80s. I think it's more high mids ( I'm not good at technical descriptions). When listening to Florence and the Machine , her vocals on the Live at Royal Albert hall seemed recessed compared to the ie80s but maintained good clarity and separation in everything else. A bit smaller sounding than the IE80s but not claustrophobic by any means. Another band I listened to quite a bit was Hurt; the male vocals were more forward while maintaining the qualities I just mentioned. Take into consideration that it was a studion track vs. live sooooo...In comparison the Grados are more accurate and even but less prominent in the bass department. I enjoy the Grados for most genres as they tend to be fast and resolving but lack that punch the others have

I think they would be good travel headphones. I listened to the new Gojira album when I received them and while I wasn't nitpicking details I listened to the whole album from beginning to end which I rarely do.

I generally use my Bose QC15s to listen to music at work because I fly a lot. Great noise cancelling and the sound isn't bad. Kinda vanilla but can be EQed to make them more enjoyable. I far prefer the sound of my other headphones but generally enjoy them. Again, these kill for noise cancellation.

In my limited experience as someone who thoroughly enjoys my IE80s I love my Denon D2000 but would reserve them for home use. The Sennheiser Momentums are a great headphone and put you into a similar musical realm.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 16
vmoda are probably the go to basshead headphone now. I personally find the sound too aggressive and forward but its not a bad choice.

id also look into denon ah600. Theyve dropped in price quite a bit. at the 270 price point, id say its a good consideration. it has quite a v shaped sound. Treble can get a little hot, but if you like edm i think you'll be fine with it haha.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, I'm a basshead with EDM but I do listen to other genres, primarily rock with bands such as Staind, Breaking Benjamin, and Evanescence. That'd really all I listen to, never anything different. I'm leaning towards the V-Moda M100s, only thing I'm hesitant about are those ear pads and the subsequent ear sweat that will come with them, it's just quite annoying when there really should be velour padding offered.

Denons are also interesting, as Cotnijoe said, the AH600. How will these fair in straight comparison to the M100s and the Momentums? Also, how is comfort/ear-fatigue and ear sweat?

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 16
  Yeah, I'm a basshead with EDM but I do listen to other genres, primarily rock with bands such as Staind, Breaking Benjamin, and Evanescence. That'd really all I listen to, never anything different. I'm leaning towards the V-Moda M100s, only thing I'm hesitant about are those ear pads and the subsequent ear sweat that will come with them, it's just quite annoying when there really should be velour padding offered.

Denons are also interesting, as Cotnijoe said, the AH600. How will these fair in straight comparison to the M100s and the Momentums? Also, how is comfort/ear-fatigue and ear sweat?

theyre super comfy. Maybe a little on the heavy side? been a while since i tried them. I prefer them over the m100 though. that's just me

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 16
OK, it's either going to be the M100, Momentum Over-Ears, or the Denon AH600. BUT, I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on any velour ear padding or similar material headphones that may be out there. Anyone know of any headphones that have that material and follow the following specs?

- 32 OHMs MAX

- Basshead heaphones while also being able to play rock music well, EDM and ROCK only, never listen to any other genre

- Comfortable for LONG DURATION LISTENING

- Again, velour padding or something similar, NO LEATHER/FAKE LEATHER

Thanks again guys for the consistent replies!

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 16
You know, I've been a lurker here for awhile, always looking and researching and while I don't consider myself and audiophile expert, I do know quite a bit about headphones. 

Yet, whadda ya know, I ask a question that I truly couldn't answer, and I end up coming across a headphone I never heard about before... the price is perfect, the headband looks EXTREMELY comfortable, the padding is the exact material I need to get rid of those sweaty ears, they are low impedance so I can drive them easily with my FiiO e7, they look very attractive IMO and reviews seem to universally point me towards getting them. Albeit, they are open headphones, but I can overlook that as they will primarily be used in public areas where I am more-or-less away from others. 

Sorry for the long post, I'm just extremely excited to have been brought to this pair of headphones and you guys at Head-Fi have ended this several month long search for the perfect headphone! 

Thank you guys a bunch for this, really, extremely stoked to become enveloped in music again! GO HEAD-FI! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back