300 $ over ear headphones
Nov 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

anonymous cat

New Head-Fier
hi there

i would appreciate your help to get a nice adequate pair of headphones

0- :D my price range is from 100 to 300 $

1- i will use the headphones with conjunction with denon receiever so i need a set that will endure high volumes and heavy deep bass and no distortion

2- for watching movies , playing games and hearing music in that specific order

3- closed but if sound quality is much better with the open it doesn't matter as it will be used mainly in home

4- i like strong punchy tight bass as long as it is not affecting mids and sounds good .. lets say bass on a scale from 1 to 10 i need a 8

5- clarity of dialogue in movies

6- i need it comfortable like the x1

7- yeah i know i ask alot :D

n.b : i bought the x1 week ago and i was impressed with the sound and it fitted me for 90% of my requests but i had unpleasent experience with low frequncy bass and i returned it .. so please don't recommend x1

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 21
The X1 is really as good as your gonna get for this price (open headphone wise).  That, or the DT990.  The HE400 is also an option.

Id say to get a closed headphone (though it wont be as comfortable as the X1) since closed headphones deliver not only more bass impact but deeper, more controlled bass:
I'd recommend the ATH WS99 and M100.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 21
  The X1 is really as good as your gonna get for this price (open headphone wise).  That, or the DT990.  The HE400 is also an option.

Id say to get a closed headphone (though it wont be as comfortable as the X1) since closed headphones deliver not only more bass impact but deeper, more controlled bass:
I'd recommend the ATH WS99 and M100.

i am thinking about the v-moda m-100 .. almost all reviews over 300 on amazon is 5 out 5 impressive .. but does it deserve 300 $ as the x1 !! compared to x1 what is th ups and downs ?!

about the ATH WS99 no plenty feedback present and this was one of the feedbacks but i suspect it since i tried the grado s80i and it is not that bass strong and x1 is much stronger

Prior to purchasing these headphones, I was using the "Grado Prestige Series SR60i Stereo Headphone", which I was extremely-happy with. Nevertheless, being the maximizer that I am, I set-out to find a better set of headphones. Unfortunately, these headphones fell short in the bass-department, when comparing with my Grados. These headphones emphasized the mids and highs quite accurately and beautifully, but disappointed when it came to bass-reproduction.

i will look into these two and i am open for more suggestions

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 21
  The m100 is a great option for things that you requested. However it may be uncomfortable, you can improve the comfort with the XL pads i think. Other option is the denon D600 or D1100, it fit the requirements too.

yeah heard about the discomfort issue and it is like 50 % chance 

grrrrrrrr every time i compare all the headphones the x1 just appear from nowhere .. lol it looks like a haunted headphone calling for me

i returned my 1st x1 as i heard a faint buzz in right driver in deep bass and high volume
thinking about re-ordering them

can't anyone search for a better alternative than the x1 even for an extra 50 $

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 21

yeah heard about the discomfort issue and it is like 50 % chance 

grrrrrrrr every time i compare all the headphones the x1 just appear from nowhere .. lol it looks like a haunted headphone calling for me

i returned my 1st x1 as i heard a faint buzz in right driver in deep bass and high volume
thinking about re-ordering them

can't anyone search for a better alternative than the x1 even for an extra 50 $

If you like a deep bass or sub-bass the x1 dont have that because its open nature. if you want sub-bass you can go with a closed back headphone, planar magnetic headphone or expensive open back. The three options ( the m100, d600 and d1100) have great sub bass. I heard the D600 and D1100 being really comfortable. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 21
  If you like a deep bass or sub-bass the x1 dont have that because its open nature. if you want sub-bass you can go with a closed back headphone, planar magnetic headphone or expensive open back. The three options ( the m100, d600 and d1100) have great sub bass. I heard the D600 and D1100 being really comfortable. 

i agree with you juan but x1 bass was very good indeed may be not optimum for very low frequencies and have problems on high volumes but when i compare the comfort to the low level bass .. i simply will pick comfort as sometimes i wear the headphones for like 6 hours .. the x1 is very comfortable and does not make my ear warm or sweats at all

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 21
my problem with the x1 was a rattle and buzz in the right speaker only on low bass content 10-20 hz .. specially obvious in supernatural movies like the conjuring or paranormal activity as the director tends to use very low bass levels

so i returned it for a refund and tried to search for another pair .. but the x1 is simply the best for the buck i have .. i only wish if i order x1 again to get a nice pair .. damn made in china

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 21
  my problem with the x1 was a rattle and buzz in the right speaker only on low bass content 10-20 hz .. specially obvious in supernatural movies like the conjuring or paranormal activity as the director tends to use very low bass levels

so i returned it for a refund and tried to search for another pair .. but the x1 is simply the best for the buck i have .. i only wish if i order x1 again to get a nice pair .. damn made in china

Made in china not necessarily means bad construction lol :). Wow i think you fell in love with the x1 It is a great headphone, i think that is a really unique can because it is fun and open backed.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 21

Made in china not necessarily means bad construction lol :). Wow i think you fell in love with the x1 It is a great headphone, i think that is a really unique can because it is fun and open backed.

yeah i know for sure but what if you find a pair made in Ireland or japan or even Korea and a pair made in china .. which one will you choose !! definitely china make good products now but not as good or strict as others .. that's why they invented the iso system lol

as to x1 i loved the bass , adored the comfort , and built luxury .. cons : a bit high on the treble side and low volume dialogue in movies .. other headphones can give you a louder volume but not that quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back