$300 or less headphones
Aug 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Pirakaphile

500+ Head-Fier
I never thought I would go so low as to post my depressing headphone problem on an internet forum, but, well, apparently I've sunk that far. Hi-Fi depression I guess.

I'm looking for headphones $300 or less that has a fairly warm sound. I'm getting a good headphone amp for it, but I'll also be powering whatever I get with a Fiio E11 portable amp when I'm on the go, so it can't be super high impendence. I'm a little picky with my bass, because I've owned Beats for a year now, gifts of grandparents, so now everything I listen to sounds tinny and wimpy, so I like a pretty solid bass sound in my headphones. I need something that won't muffle the midrange and treble though, since I like to hear those cymbal crashes and wailing trumpets. Bass response needs to be fairly quick, and go pretty low. I don't like open headphone sound, so it'll be closed back headphones, something I can take with me in a small backpack or homemade headphone container. Dosen't need to be noise canceling, but I like to be isolated from the world while I listen.
Now that I've narrowed it down, do any headphones exist that will fit my requirements? Sorry for being so picky and demanding, I'm a terrible person, I know, it's why I wear Beats and apple earpods.

Thank you to whoever can do the research for me, since I'm getting tired of reading websites brag about their headphones to make me all happy, and then to hear a professional tear all my hopes and dreams apart. 67 different headphones wont work for me so far, which is displeasing, anyway, have a good day.

Love, Pirakaphile

Danke

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 27
The Fiio E11 can easily drive my 250-Ohm headphones.

JVC HA-S500 folding closed headphones (32-Ohm), sell for under $60.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 27
Well, under 300 you have a lot of choices. Based on your description I would suggest Beyer DT770 which comes in 32 ohms or 80ohms or 250 ohms. Closed can with good bass. You won't find much cans have louder bass than your beats but you will probably find every pair of cans has better bass quality than your beats.
Actually I was gonna say Denon AHD2000 but you won't find it under 300 any more, sadly.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 27
Hello!

I suggest you to look into:
PSB M4U1

not very bassy but check all your needs with deep sub bass, tight and have awesome timbre, wide soundstage and imaging.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 27
Ultrasone Pro900's used can be found on our for sale forum for less than $300. Have the bass to compete with Beats, durable, comfy and sharp.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
Ultrasone Pro900's used can be found on our for sale forum for less than $300. Have the bass to compete with Beats, durable, comfy and sharp.

Although the S-Logic is as fickle as the Fit on an AKG K550, so I'd shy away from it unless you could get a demo [some members MIGHT let you if you had a lot of eBay feedback or something] pr buy new with a return policy [like wid amazon]

other than that, the Ath a900x are also very nice with great bass, 

also honestly you might like the AKG K550 [they fold flat] the sound fit's your needs, but the fit on those is fickle

And if you like the CRASH of cymbals and the wail of horns [things i enjoy about jazz] the Ath A900x is another good option, it's a little big but heck your making your own headphone case, so you should be able to scale it to fit them! 

In addition a headphone amp like the E11 can add some nice BASS to any can, 

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 27
Although the S-Logic is as fickle as the Fit on an AKG K550, so I'd shy away from it unless you could get a demo [some members MIGHT let you if you had a lot of eBay feedback or something] pr buy new with a return policy [like wid amazon]

also honestly you might like the AKG K550 [they fold flat] the sound fit's your needs, but the fit on those is fickle

And if you like the CRASH of cymbals and the wail of horns [things i enjoy about jazz] the Ath A900x is another good option, it's a little big but heck your making your own headphone case, so you should be able to scale it to fit them! 

I was thinking bout the K55x but I'm afraid it's too big for portable use xD

Billson :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
I was thinking bout the K55x but I'm afraid it's too big for portable use xD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

PFF what are you KIDDING ME

dude I'm ONE month from a portable [Oh nice I can sell my Akg K550s xD] set up consiting of a NEWLY purchased Hifiman Hm 801 [it's BIG] to a JDS Labs C5 with a 3.5mm 1/4" adapter to my Beyer Dynamic Dt 880 Premium 600 ohms... all of that in the sexy leather case of the Beyer Dynamic Dt 880, 

I used a very simmilar set up with my Dt 880 Pro 250, hm 601 and jds labs cMoy [which btw is twice as thick as the C5] so trust me... I know something about BIG portables xD

Even better, I can't really walk with my K550... or sneeze... or yawn... or eat ANYTHING for that matter -.-

My point being, I'm [stupid enough I guess] to carry around rather bulky portables, I have another carrying case that I might lug around that has a chest strap. so I can throw my dap and amp in there while I walk around 

but I can do all of that and MORE with the Dt 880 [and OH yea that Hm 801 and Jds Labs C5 will have MORE than enough juice to run the 600 ohm beyers ] 

Still walking around with uhh... $1400 MSRP worth of gear seems like kinda of a BAD idea >.>

I just hope I don't get mugged 

Still the gear looks very old fashion, so let's hope ppl assume all this big clunky electronics is worthless junk :D 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
PFF what are you KIDDING ME

dude I'm ONE month from a portable [Oh nice I can sell my Akg K550s xD] set up consiting of a NEWLY purchased Hifiman Hm 801 [it's BIG] to a JDS Labs C5 with a 3.5mm 1/4" adapter to my Beyer Dynamic Dt 880 Premium 600 ohms... all of that in the sexy leather case of the Beyer Dynamic Dt 880, 

I used a very simmilar set up with my Dt 880 Pro 250, hm 601 and jds labs cMoy [which btw is twice as thick as the C5] so trust me... I know something about BIG portables xD

Even better, I can't really walk with my K550... or sneeze... or yawn... or eat ANYTHING for that matter -.-

My point being, I'm [stupid enough I guess] to carry around rather bulky portables, I have another carrying case that I might lug around that has a chest strap. so I can throw my dap and amp in there while I walk around 

but I can do all of that and MORE with the Dt 880 [and OH yea that Hm 801 and Jds Labs C5 will have MORE than enough juice to run the 600 ohm beyers ] 

Still walking around with uhh... $1400 MSRP worth of gear seems like kinda of a BAD idea >.>

I just hope I don't get mugged 

Still the gear looks very old fashion, so let's hope ppl assume all this big clunky electronics is worthless junk :D 

I used to carry big headphones for portable use but now I cut it all done to IEM. It's more portable, and isolations are much better although the SQ are not comparable to something like 1R, Momentum etc xD but really, when I travel, the lesser the better to me xD

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
I used to carry big headphones for portable use but now I cut it all done to IEM. It's more portable, and isolations are much better although the SQ are not comparable to something like 1R, Momentum etc xD but really, when I travel, the lesser the better to me xD

Pff I carry so much crap with my half of the time 

also 

A real man carries around a 2 inch thick wallet in his pocket ;3 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 27
HAHA xD all I carry when I travel is just a tablet, my iem and my DAP. If cameras needed, I will carry it with only 1 lense which I love to use for travelling xD I do not find it crazy to carry $1000 audio setup xD because some others carry their iPad, iPhone around as well what + it's safe here xD hardly any crime/robbery [that's one thing that I really like about Brunei! There's no need of locking your door here xD ]

Billson :D

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
HAHA xD all I carry when I travel is just a tablet, my iem and my DAP. If cameras needed, I will carry it with only 1 lense which I love to use for travelling xD I do not find it crazy to carry $1000 audio setup xD because some others carry their iPad, iPhone around as well what + it's safe here xD hardly any crime/robbery [that's one thing that I really like about Brunei! There's no need of locking your door here xD ]

Billson :D

Jeeze, you've got a nice camera... where the heck do you live exactly? 

Omg a Sultan is the leader of your country... that's very awesome. How much english is spoken there :O [I'm like totally gonna invade your house dude xD] 

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

My A900X is still on the way so I can't say much. But people say its got good bass. For K550, I'm quite sure some people are bothered for its relatively weak bass. Though I own and love the K550. AKGs are good at sound stage and detailing. The K550 has the best sound stage of closed back cans in this price range. So it sounds very similar to open cans.
You are right about the folding feature of the K550 and  it is more portable than A900X. People are going to stare at you if you r walking on the streets with the A900X on your head LoL.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
See, what I heard was the ATH A900X had terrible bass, this coming from the 50+ flagship headphone thread. The reviewr really didn't like them..

I will post my impression on my A900X in a few days.
Actually if that guy listed A900x in the 50+ flagships, it is already good enough. Compare to those thousand dollar headphones and discontinued classics you won't be impressed by a $200 ath any more. Especially with that sony R10 on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back