300 movie trailer (had to share this!)
Dec 16, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
*movie synopsis at the bottom*
I'm a huge Frank Miller fan and have been keeping an eye on a movie based off his acclaimed 300 comic book bearing the same name.

A new trailer just came out and it literally blew me away (even more so than the first trailer).

Without adieu, I'd motion for everyone to take a look. When you're done, watch trailer number 1 too...which is also quite impressive. The art work is very true to his comic book.

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/04...83/vids_1.html

Battle of Thermopylae, 300 Spartans versus the million army of the Persians. This is skewed however. There were 300 Spartans; this part is true, but they had about 5000 people to help out in the name of Greece from various city states. The Persians were 2.6 million strong after their allied help. But, the 300 number is historically accurate.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 26
it is the same director of the stylish and very scary remake of "dawn of the dead".

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like it may have some good eye candy, but I get the feeling it's just a darker "Gladiator" or "Troy".

It's based on the comic, which is very artsy and stylistic. The comic is based on the real Battle of Thermopylae where the Spartans stood ground at Hell's Gate. If you have seen the comic, you will see the strikingly accurate transition from the comic to the screen.

This movie actually has good actors....

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 26
Yeah I need to take a look at that graphic novel. I was extremely impressed with Sin City. I hope we see something else with its originality hit the big screen in the coming year.

I just IMDB'd the film and the only actor I'm familiar with is David Wenham. I liked him in the LOTR films.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I need to take a look at that graphic novel. I was extremely impressed with Sin City. I hope we see something else with its originality hit the big screen in the coming year.

I just IMDB'd the film and the only actor I'm familiar with is David Wenham. I liked him in the LOTR films.

I like the camera/cinematography of 300. It's very artsy I think. Having taken a film appreciation class in college last semester, I look at movies in a diff light now. The choppy motion as well as the sped up motion makes for some very powerful imagery. It conveys a sense of strength, which works to depict the Spartans who were a military based society.

Dec 16, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 26
Being Greek I feel mad at Hollywood exploiting once again Greek history for the shake of making money and because there are no other stories out there. This version will be served shaken and stired with a bit of Greek Mythology and lots of Zena imagination in the theaters near you.
blink.gif
Maybe Hercules will come to help as well and in the end the Greeks might even win!
blink.gif

If anyone actually wants to do something useful for his/her brains I would suggest the following book which give a much better idea of what happened in Thermopyllae.

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-Nov...e=UTF8&s=books

The price is lower than your movie ticket so do yourself a favour and buy it instead of going to the movies. Maybe if you read it you will feel what a real battle feels like and you might notice that Perssians are more human than the Goblin-formed creatures copied from Lord of the Rings.

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being Greek I feel mad at Hollywood exploiting once again Greek history for the shake of making money and because there are no other stories out there. This version will be served shaken and stired with a bit of Greek Mythology and lots of Zena imagination in the theaters near you.
blink.gif
Maybe Hercules will come to help as well and in the end the Greeks might even win!
blink.gif

If anyone actually wants to do something useful for his/her brains I would suggest the following book which give a much better idea of what happened in Thermopyllae.

The price is lower than your movie ticket so do yourself a favour and buy it instead of going to the movies. Maybe if you read it you will feel what a real battle feels like and you might notice that Perssians are more human than the Goblin-formed creatures copied from Lord of the Rings.

It's...a...MOVIE based on a COMIC BOOK based on the Battle of Thermopylae. Different strokes for different folks. If people wanted the most accurate account, they'd go find a documentary or as you linked, read a book. This movie wasn't meant to be accurate as much as it was meant to just tell the story through Miller's perspective and interpretation.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's...a...MOVIE based on a COMIC BOOK based on the Battle of Thermopylae. Different strokes for different folks. If people wanted the most accurate account, they'd go find a documentary or as you linked, read a book. This movie wasn't meant to be accurate as much as it was meant to just tell the story through Miller's perspective and interpretation.

One of these days I wish someone around the world would make a movie about american history with a "few changes".
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

One of these days I wish someone around the world would make a movie about american history with a "few changes".
biggrin.gif

Like "The Patriot" "Pearl Harbor" "Glory" "Bobby" etc? It's just a fact that movie makers take great liberty with fact when the dramatize history. They spice things up and especially fill in the gaps with things that no one can know. I was a History major in college (not financially a good choice BTW) but I don't get too hung up with what Hollywood does to history. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

blink.gif
blink.gif

so when does your historically accurate film version of this battle come out, dimitris? you didn't make one?! well, until then, **** and gbtw.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jparris1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like "The Patriot" "Pearl Harbor" "Glory" "Bobby" etc? It's just a fact that movie makers take great liberty with fact when the dramatize history. They spice things up and especially fill in the gaps with things that no one can know. I was a History major in college (not financially a good choice BTW) but I don't get too hung up with what Hollywood does to history. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Not only that but hollywood possibly even doing justice to the comic book! So many crowds to please!

I think the movie only has to remain accurate to one audience and thats the comic book audience. It truely has no responsibilities in remaining accurate for historys sake.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 26
Lets hope it doesn't follow the "we'll film it just like the comic and that should be good enough" method of Sin City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back