$300 headphone (+amp?) recommendation
Mar 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

svines

New Head-Fier
I wanna buy some phones mainly for home use and I have about 300 dollars (could be a little more). Im a newbie on earphones (I own an old pair of AKG 66 and a v-moda vibes for my iriver clix). Wich is the best choice for my bugbet, buy only the headphones or headphones+amp? Wich phones or phone amp combo can you recommned me for this money? Thanks

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 21
what kind of music do you listen to? what are you going to be running them out of? do you need isolation or does it not matter?

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Im gonna use them at home so I dont need isolation or very portable phones. I listen a lot kind of different music, new wave, pop, rock and even some classical. I also cant go and try some phones at a store cause I live in Chile and here the headphone offer is very limited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of music do you listen to? what are you going to be running them out of? do you need isolation or does it not matter?

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 + Xin Supermacro IV, maybe
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 21
how Xin Supermacro IV cost? my 300 buks budget should include both headphones and amo, I can spans 400 if it really worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by undo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Technica ATH-A900 + Xin Supermacro IV, maybe
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 21
Just get phones first. $150 phones plus a $150 amp will never be as good as $300 phones. Big sound change from amps comes at a higher price point.

I would get MS2i $300 USD and then get an amp down the track, the sound in the interim will still be excellent. Mind you I love the Alessandro sound.
Others here might recomend AKG 501's if you can get them, or even ATH AD900, or some Beyerdynamic Dt770M or senns, however it is my advice to invest in the fons, go for an amp later.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 21
I recently purchased the DT700Pro's and have been extremely happy with them. The only issue is that in order to drive them well, you should get a decent amp (Headroom's MiniAmp for me).

After that, I just upgraded to the Soundblaster Elite Pro.

I absolutly recommend those headphones; purchased them for $170. That should leave you with enough for a decent amp (have heard good things about amps made by MisterX, and I'm sure there are others that will be recommended to you.)

Apr 2, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 21
Good headphones will sound descent even on inexpensive electronics,but 10,000 dollars of electronics wont make a 150 dollar headphone sound like a 300 dollar headphone.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by svines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wich one sound better unamped, ATH-A900 or MS2?

ATH-A900 is a closed phone so probably not an apples to apples comparrison.
ATH-AD900 is open and in Australia comes in at about the same price as the MS2. As for which one sounds better, thats always going to be subjective.

Some people like oranges and some like apples, and others will prefer bananas.
From what I have read both are good fons (so are the ATH-A900).

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by svines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much it cost an amp tha drive properly a $200-$300 phones? I think I could be spending (if it really worth it) at most $400 in phones + amp.

The higher the price doesnt mean that they need to be amped better, impendance is what you should be looking at when it comes to amping.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 21
no team Grado/Senn/AKG?

Well...you can...

get an HD580 (good bang for buck especially now that it's discontinued) for 120 or so (or HD600 for a higher price) and get a decent $300 amp...and with future upgrades, the HD580 will still have lots of room for improvement...by changing amp and cable...

Or...get a good Grado/Alessandro at this price...325i/MS2i probably or RS2 if you're lucky...since they're decent unamped...and then save up for an amp in the future...

but...don't buy the HD580/600 or AKGs without an amp...if you want Senn unamped...maybe try the HD595...

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The higher the price doesnt mean that they need to be amped better, impendance is what you should be looking at when it comes to amping.

And sensitivity..

Apr 2, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 21
You should consider upgrading your source too. I don't know the details of your iRiver Clix and the files on it, but if they're compressed very much you'd do well to spend some of your money getting a larger mp3 player (so you don't have to compress as much) or getting a CD player. Source makes as much of a difference as headphones and amp, and I think a $300-$400 total setup deserves better than mp3s -- unless they're lossless or very high bitrate. But even then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back