300$ For Bass
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

proman1355

New Head-Fier
Hello Headfi!
A close friend of mine was decideding to get Beats by dr dre for 300$, until i showed him my M50's and he was quite intrigued so he wants to know what he can buy for 300$. Setup preferably ampless, but if absolutely necessary there can be portable amplification. Sound Signature, preferably with lots of bass slam, as he listens to lots of main stream music. Looks are not a must but they cant look like someone slapped silly putty on your head. All Suggestions are welcome!

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 15
You can do a search...you'll probably get the regular contenders. DT770, M50's, HFI-580s, ADH1100's, maybe the Crossfade LP's. You probably won't need to spend that much of the budget. I will say that the Beats Pro are pretty good headphones if you can get them for less than $300.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 15
I think you may want to do a bit of research on the Denon AHD2000. Plenty of bass without needing an amp. Another option is the Beyerdynamic DT770 32 ohm version. Just a starting place for your search.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Hello Headfi!
A close friend of mine was decideding to get Beats by dr dre for 300$, until i showed him my M50's and he was quite intrigued so he wants to know what he can buy for 300$. Setup preferably ampless, but if absolutely necessary there can be portable amplification. Sound Signature, preferably with lots of bass slam, as he listens to lots of main stream music. Looks are not a must but they cant look like someone slapped silly putty on your head. All Suggestions are welcome!

Panasonic HTF600
Sony XB500

Add Digizoid ZO2

Saved you $150.

Very best,

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 15
He decided he wasnt quite sure that he was such a bass head and wanted to just start off with a more all rounder headphone though i am aware this is a more neutral set of cans.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
He decided he wasnt quite sure that he was such a bass head and wanted to just start off with a more all rounder headphone though i am aware this is a more neutral set of cans.

I don't think the 780s make sense for that. I'd recommend the dt770 even though it's consider bassy, for somebody just getting into hifi it will still work very well as an all rounder. Everything will just sound fun through them. They will also satisfy his bass head needs as they come and go, and they are by no means overly bassy when compared to something as muddy as beats.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 15
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E

I think this makes a lot of sense

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
I don't think the 780s make sense for that. I'd recommend the dt770 even though it's consider bassy, for somebody just getting into hifi it will still work very well as an all rounder. Everything will just sound fun through them. They will also satisfy his bass head needs as they come and go, and they are by no means overly bassy when compared to something as muddy as beats.

They are a polarizing headphone, but I quite enjoyed the 780s as all-rounders myself. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Holy! Never knew you could buy those for 300$, too bad they need amplification,which would make the price too high.

I've heard they don't need much amping, honestly.  Impedance is quite low (NOT suggesting this is tell-all)

I have heard they scale well, though.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 15
They don't "need" amplification as much as other cans in their price range and higher, but they do benefit from it.  I sometimes run mine straight from an iPod when my amps are unavailable/charging/can't be bothered, etc., and I still enjoy them almost as much as with amps.  I would certainly recommend getting an amp for them (even something cheap like a FiiO E5), but it's not a requirement initially and they can be enjoyed as they are until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back