~$300 Dollar Amps to Pair with an HD 650
Feb 4, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 24
Hi, im also searching for the best amp for my HD650, cable upgrade will come lata. right now im lookin at these 3,

Headroom Micro (with desktop module)
Hornet
X-can v3

im just interesting in great music, within the pricerange of the above amps.
i listen to rockin music like, panic at the disco, ill nino, nonpoint, system of a down. so i need my setup to bring out the best in this type of music, lots a solid acurate bass. which of these 3 will be the best for me?

will be runing from x-fi for now.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 has understated highs, overstated booming bass like on A/V sub-woofers, and a muddled inner detail on congested passages.

But otherwise you like it, right?

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But otherwise you like it, right?

i laughed... i always laugh at head-fi arguments. we're all so petty...

but, ON TOPIC, i'll namedrop the M^3. it's great for the price

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 has understated highs, overstated booming bass like on A/V sub-woofers, and a muddled inner detail on congested passages.

I'd have to agree... more, or less.

The HD650's sound good with my XCAN v3 + XPSU v3 + Pinkfloyd mods + the right set up - but they still need a better amp to sound their best (be brighter, faster, clearer, etc.).

I doubt you'll find ~$300 amp, that will drive them properly (unless you find a used one somewhere).

You'll be much happier with the HD600's (or Grado SR225's) with amps in that price range.

Now then... when you get to the ~$500 price range you begin to open up some possibilities... but, not at ~$300... unless you like flabby / boomy bass, and an overall dark sound (which is fine if your a hip hop fan).

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you'll find ~$300 amp, that will drive them properly (unless you find a used one somewhere).

Rega Ear. It's bright and lacks bass so it will complement the 650 quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back