~$300 budget for amp, please help!
Jul 3, 2004 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

touser

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i am in need of a good amp to power a pair of sennheiser HD595's or HD600's. My budget is about $300, i can go a little over if need be. The Gilmore Lite was on my list but it is not an option as i need an amp by the end of next week, and the wait on a gilmore is almost a month, so if anyone can recommend any prebuilt ones that would be great. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply pbirkett, assuming i use this amp with the sound card in my computer (E-MU 1212M) What type of cable would i need to go from the sound card to the amp? Sorry for the stupid question, i am very new to this. Also can you recommend any reliable online vendors that cary the amp?

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by touser
Hi all, i am in need of a good amp to power a pair of sennheiser HD595's or HD600's. My budget is about $300, i can go a little over if need be. The Gilmore Lite was on my list but it is not an option as i need an amp by the end of next week, and the wait on a gilmore is almost a month, so if anyone can recommend any prebuilt ones that would be great. Thanks!

Do a little hunt in For Sale section
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77738

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by touser

If you can find a used McCormack headphone amp for less than $300, they are well-engineered and is are good matches for the Sennheiser headphones.

Happy listening,
W

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I just heard the SuperDual yesterday. You might be able to get that one quickly (There is one for sale for full price (165) in the for sale section). It is completely portable (and incredibly small), has good sound (it won't go toe to toe with the Gilmore Lite or the SR-71, sound quality is a definite step down, but for a device running off a single 9 volt it's very good). It really improved on the sound of the portable CD players I tried it with. And of course, it doesn't matter what the power is in the country you're visiting since you're using a single 9 volt battery. The XFeed on the unit is very good, the best I have heard so far, there was little impact on the sound quality when it was used. While the XFeed was subtle, it got the job done. For what it is, this is a very good buy.

Jul 5, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Another option from the FS/T forum
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Though as I recall you wanted this for travel and the wisdom of buying a tube amp for travel might be doubtful...
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Two words.....REGA EAR.
600smile.gif
You'll even have money left over.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back