$300 and under
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
New or used cans, what should I get?

I'm going from Senn 595's and would prefer to stay away from other Senn's (I'm not too impressed with what I hear about the 600 and 650 for one thing, no offense, just my tastes) just to try something else.

I listen to mostly classic rock; Rush and Queen are my favorite, and I like a lively, energized, quick, bright presentation with tight taut articulate bass (deep is nice, but I'm no basshead), transparent mids, sparkling highs (but hopefully not silibant or harsh) and lots of mircro detail. I also listen to 80's, metal, singer/songwriter, and some jazz/classical.

Here's some can's I'm looking at:

Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition 2005
Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 2005

Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

AKG K 701
AKG K 702

Grado SR 225i
Grado SR 325is

I am confused about all the varieties of the Beyers, but it seems the 880/600 might be right for me.

Another thing I don't know about is whether open or closed cans are generally considered better. I think it is open, but either is fine with me as I will be listening at home only.

Right now I have an X-head amp and/or my integrated amp's head phone out to run cans with from FLAC files on the comp through a Dac Magic.

Ceiling is $300, but closer to $200 is preferred.

TIA for any recommendations!

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listen to mostly classic rock; Rush and Queen are my favorite, and I like a lively, energized, quick, bright presentation with tight taut articulate bass (deep is nice, but I'm no basshead), transparent mids, sparkling highs (but hopefully not silibant or harsh) and lots of mircro detail. I also listen to 80's, metal, singer/songwriter, and some jazz/classical.

The 225 "i" version would be my pick. It's perfect for what you want. Sibilant/harsh depends a lot on the recording. I think the Beyer DT880s are fairly prone to sibilant. The Grado, The K701/702 can also be sibilant depending on recording.

But for rock 225i is best. It doesn't do classical though.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 61
Yep, SR225i for sure. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for, though I don't know how it fares as far as micro detail. My system isn't resolving enough to judge that well.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

and would prefer to stay away from other Senn's (I'm not too impressed with what I hear about the 600 and 650 for one thing, no offense, just my tastes) just to try something else.
[...]
and I like a lively, energized, quick, bright presentation with tight taut articulate bass (deep is nice, but I'm no basshead), transparent mids, sparkling highs (but hopefully not silibant or harsh) and lots of mircro detail. I also listen to 80's, metal, singer/songwriter, and some jazz/classical.

This very closely resambles my taste in cans. Music is only metal.
I got a pair of SR325is and they come pretty close to that sound profile and they are great for rock and metal. They can be a bit a harsh though. the 225 are said to be less harsh.
The Dt880's are more for laid back listening, with tons of detail and huge soundstage. Probably better for jazz than the 325.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 225 "i" version would be my pick. It's perfect for what you want. Sibilant/harsh depends a lot on the recording. I think the Beyer DT880s are fairly prone to sibilant. The Grado, The K701/702 can also be sibilant depending on recording.

But for rock 225i is best. It doesn't do classical though.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

880's, K701/702 sibilant huh? That's interesting, didn't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, SR225i for sure. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for, though I don't know how it fares as far as micro detail. My system isn't resolving enough to judge that well.

Another vote for the 225i's.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This very closely resambles my taste in cans. Music is only metal.
I got a pair of SR325is and they come pretty close to that sound profile and they are great for rock and metal. They can be a bit a harsh though. the 225 are said to be less harsh.
The Dt880's are more for laid back listening, with tons of detail and huge soundstage. Probably better for jazz than the 325.

225i's are also cheaper than the 325i's right?
biggrin.gif

I thought the 880's were somewhat lively, maybe the 990's more so.

Really we can disregard the classical/jazz and singer/songwriter stuff. I'm happy listening to just classic rock, metal, and some 80's pop. I can always switch to my speakers/sub if I want a more neutral presentation for other music. I tend to listen to speakers more than cans anyway.

One thing that concerns me with Grados is the comfort factor. I can have cans on for hours at a time and would be irritated if my ears were hurting after an hour or two!
angry_face.gif

Thanks for the input guys, still thinking, still looking...

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 61
I feared the 325 might get annoying after a short while, quite the opposite seems true. Can have them on for 2,5 hours easily, have to wiggle them about on my head every once i a while though but nothting serious. Some can't stand for as short as 15minutes.
The 880's are probably the most comfy cans ever produced my mankind(over reacting? naaaah
beyersmile.png
). Maybe at rosswel they created more comfortable cans with alien technology. But i highly doubt that, we all know aliens listen to music through telepathy!
I find the 880's very neutral, they can be a bit sibilant but not at all harsh. I find the sound actualy to be like the can itself, nice and comfy.

But as we all know, its all in the ear of the beholder. Best thing is to go out and audition them. Bring your own cd's and amp see what you really like best.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feared the 325 might get annoying after a short while, quite the opposite seems true. Can have them on for 2,5 hours easily, have to wiggle them about on my head every once i a while though but nothting serious. Some can't stand for as short as 15minutes.
The 880's are probably the most comfy cans ever produced my mankind(over reacting? naaaah
beyersmile.png
). Maybe at rosswel they created more comfortable cans with alien technology. But i highly doubt that, we all know aliens listen to music through telepathy!
I find the 880's very neutral, they can be a bit sibilant but not at all harsh. I find the sound actualy to be like the can itself, nice and comfy.

But as we all know, its all in the ear of the beholder. Best thing is to go out and audition them. Bring your own cd's and amp see what you really like best.

From reading around it seems that the 225i's are preferred over the 325i's both soundwise and comfortwise.

However, I get the feeling that many here like a more laid back, neutral, relaxed, and smooth presentation (hence the liking of the 600's and 650's). Nothing wrong with that, but I prefer more lively and in-your-face, especially for what I'm looking to use head phones for (not background music so much but more focused listening).

So it could very well be that the 325i's are not too overpowering/in-your-face/harsh for me.

Still the 225i's seem to be a safer choice, and to be honest I find the 595's to be a little silibant with some music! (Like some Rush!) They are still a bit distant or recessed for me in the mids and overall though.

I'm crossing off the 701's/702's because they seem hard to synergize with a system and also described around here as great, but somewhat well, boring (no offense! and of course I never heard them so how would I know?!). That is, they are accurate and detailed, but they don't color the music or add anything to it: they are somewhat clinical. I'm looking for more of a "fun" can that engages me more as a listener. My Usher speakers are more neutral/accurate/clinical/analytical--"boring" if I want to hear that presentation.

So now I am looking at the 225i's and 880's/990's. The Beyers seem to be a safer choice, and seem to be recommended for rock somewhat as well, but they are more expensive and not strictly a "rock/metal" can. But they are probably a lot more comfortable.

Decisions, decisions! I'm so glad that I am quite content with my speaker/sub/dac/amp setup at least!
biggrin.gif

PS: Your Roswell analogy cracked me up! Good one! lol
darthsmile.gif
Also, I know of nowhere around me that would have cans to audition, and I am wary of doing so anyway because different electronics than mine could make them sound very different than they would on my system. I also feel that one really doesn't get a good grasp on just how a can/speaker sounds until they have spent quite a good while with it...not less than 1/2 an hour in some store with some salesman bugging you the whole time!

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

You just described Grado sound signature along with their favorite genres.

Quote:

However, I get the feeling that many here like a more laid back, neutral, relaxed, and smooth presentation (hence the liking of the 600's and 650's). Nothing wrong with that, but I prefer more lively and in-your-face, especially for what I'm looking to use head phones for (not background music so much but more focused listening).

You just focused on Grado selling points even more.

Quote:

So now I am looking at the 225i's and 880's/990's. The Beyers seem to be a safer choice, and seem to be recommended for rock somewhat as well, but they are more expensive and not strictly a "rock/metal" can. But they are probably a lot more comfortable.

Beyers are more comfortable, but even more expensive in terms of "total cost of ownership" than you probably think. They will demand for adequate amping, DT880 shines with tubes and DT990 is real bitch for amp matching. DT880 is not rock/metal can, it suits better for classical and electronic. DT990 is a good rocker can but Grado still beats it. With jazz Grado beats DT990 even harder.

Get Grado.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyers are more comfortable, but even more expensive in terms of "total cost of ownership" than you probably think. They will demand for adequate amping, DT880 shines with tubes and DT990 is real bitch for amp matching. DT880 is not rock/metal can, it suits better for classical and electronic. DT990 is a good rocker can but Grado still beats it. With jazz Grado beats DT990 even harder.

Get Grado.

I think I agree, and thanks for the clarification on the DT's!
beerchug.gif

My only reservation about Grado's is the comfort factor and whether or not the treble is too harsh. Detailed and prominent is fine/great, but overwhelming and silibant is not.

There are some 325i's in the FS forum right now...
very_evil_smiley.gif

They do have more bass than the 225i's right?

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 61
Hmm...probably the 225i's if there isn't much difference between them and the 325i's besides a bit more bass and maybe a bit too much more treble, as well as heavier or more uncomfortable than the 225i's.

Also looking at the 990's since they seem more forward or lively than the 880's...but they are more expensive than the 225i's of course and probably not a strict rock/metal can.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

My only reservation about Grado's is the comfort factor and whether or not the treble is too harsh. Detailed and prominent is fine/great, but overwhelming and silibant is not.

This is DT990, which is harsh and sibilant in comparison to Grado. I could not stand its piercing highs and I was tired of matching it to various amp. So I sold it. New owner recabled it and harshness was gone. Then I finally bought XIN Supermicro and DT990 sings with it. So recabled DT990 + matching amp (which is hard to choose) may rock really hard, even beating SR225. But it is certainly not "plug-n-play" headphone.

Quote:

Also looking at the 990's since they seem more forward or lively than the 880's...

DT990 are more alive indeed, unless DT880 is driven by tubes, otherwise they are on par. But in no way DT990 is more forward. Mids of DT990 are recessed and this is not good for rock and no-no for jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back