~$300 amplifier reccomendations
Jul 27, 2005 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

servoled

100+ Head-Fier
Well, unfortunatley I've lingered around here for too long and the bug has bit. I recently got a pair of Grado SR-80 from TTVJ and have pretty much decided that I'm going to take the further plunge and return them for the SR-225.

Now, the question of an amplifier has surfaced. At the moment I am using a Chaintech AV-710 outputing to a Proton AV-300 receiver which I picked up from Goodwill a few years back and know next to nothing about. Ideally I'd like to get a decent starting amp which can drive the Grados and possible some Senn. 580/600 at some point down the road, although the Grados are my main concern.

From reading the posts around here the Gilmore Lite and the RA-1 seem to be the obvious choices, possibly adding in a used SR-71 if I can find one. However, I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, either new or used, which would be a good fit. $350 is pretty much my cut off, but would ideally like to stay under $300.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Gilmore Lite.. :).

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by servoled
Well, unfortunatley I've lingered around here for too long and the bug has bit. I recently got a pair of Grado SR-80 from TTVJ and have pretty much decided that I'm going to take the further plunge and return them for the SR-225.

Now, the question of an amplifier has surfaced. At the moment I am using a Chaintech AV-710 outputing to a Proton AV-300 receiver which I picked up from Goodwill a few years back and know next to nothing about. Ideally I'd like to get a decent starting amp which can drive the Grados and possible some Senn. 580/600 at some point down the road, although the Grados are my main concern.

From reading the posts around here the Gilmore Lite and the RA-1 seem to be the obvious choices, possibly adding in a used SR-71 if I can find one. However, I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, either new or used, which would be a good fit. $350 is pretty much my cut off, but would ideally like to stay under $300.

I was in the same position (I also have AV710). Instead of spending the $300 on just the amp. I split it between a Pimeta and a new Shanling CDP. I am one of those in the garbage in garbage out group. And EE taught me amplifier is nothing but to increase the voltage and current with minimum distortion and for that I feel the Pimeta was gooe enough with the source I have. So far I am very happy with my setup...and let me tell you Av710 is nothing compare to a dedicated CDP. even my Panasonic SX500 beats the pants off AV710. Not bashing AV710...its better than my Audigy, Nvidia Firestorm, and whatever sound card I have laying around. oh..and I have sr325i
rs1smile.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I was in the same position (I also have AV710). Instead of spending the $300 on just the amp. I split it between a Pimeta and a new Shanling CDP. I am one of those in the garbage in garbage out group. And EE taught me amplifier is nothing but to increase the voltage and current with minimum distortion and for that I feel the Pimeta was gooe enough with the source I have. So far I am very happy with my setup...and let me tell you Av710 is nothing compare to a dedicated CDP. even my Panasonic SX500 beats the pants off AV710. Not bashing AV710...its better than my Audigy, Nvidia Firestorm, and whatever sound card I have laying around. oh..and I have sr325i
rs1smile.gif

That does bring up an interesting point which I have considered and am still debating. Would I be better off with spending the money on a decent CD player and sticking with the Proton receiver for amplification for the moment? I'd rather go all out on one or the other rather than splitting between the two and ending up upgrading sooner.

So I guess the question becomes $300 on an amplifier or $300 on a CD player? This place really needs a "How should I spend my money?" forum.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 9
Whatever you do, dont split up. Either go with one or the other... this should minimize upgraditis.

Joey

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Whatever you do, dont split up. Either go with one or the other... this should minimize upgraditis.

Joey

that's not very productive advise....you are the weakest link...good bye!
orphsmile.gif
JK/JK

spending top $ on one item means you will wan to upgrade the other one as well...this will in turn maximize upgraditis...unless that's what you want
smily_headphones1.gif

Imaging you have a dual Athlon XP processor with 2G ram but with a ****** Geforce3 video card....now how would you feel about that!! I bet you would run outside and buy that $600 7800GXP to "make it right"

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
spending top $ on one item means you will wan to upgrade the other one as well...this will in turn maximize upgraditis...unless that's what you want
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I do plan on doing both by Christmas so I think I'd be better off with that doing one and then the other. Although if I was looking to keep this system long term and only spending $300 on it I would probably split between the two.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Touche cheesebert. I guess upgraditis may never end so the buyer needs to pick his/her battles.

Only he/she knows when and where to draw the line. I just dont want someone to buy something for $100 and then regret the purchase and sell it for a loss in order to buy the amp/cdp that should've been bought in the first place.

But, lets not forget that this is headfi... even buying a $750 amp can still draw some "what ifs"... oy.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have the SR 225s, and the HD 580s, and a portable headsave classic. I'm looking to ditch the classic, and get a nice stationary amp for about $300 (not traveling anymore). I've pretty much decided on the Gilmore Lite for now, and perhaps a nice emu 1212 around Christmas time, as I really don't want to sacrifice the convenience of playing music on my computer. Hope it works out well for you, and by all reports the Gilmore is the way to go with the option to upgrade the PSU when you have more money in the future.

Target

Users who are viewing this thread

Back