<$300 amp for He-400s?
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dshlapak

New Head-Fier
Howdy. Looking for a <US$300 desktop amp (or amp/DAC, but the DAC is not necessary) for my Hifiman He-400s. Main desiderata, bedsides, you know, not sucking overall, are imaging and soundstage: a sense of space—breadth and depth. 

Indifferent as to tubes/hybrid/SS. 

Thanks in advance for thoughts

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Asgard 2 if you want a gain switch and/or preamp outputs. Otherwise, Magni should provide plenty of power for the HE-400 at only $99.

I actually own a Magni, though I've never actually used it (don't ask). Have you had the opportunity to compare its imaging/soundstage to this produced by other amps? I'd be pleased to have my answer already in hand, as it were!

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 5

Asgard 2 if you want a gain switch and/or preamp outputs. Otherwise, Magni should provide plenty of power for the HE-400 at only $99.

I actually own a Magni, though I've never actually used it (don't ask). Have you had the opportunity to compare its imaging/soundstage to this produced by other amps? I'd be pleased to have my answer already in hand, as it were!

I've heard the Magni at Head-Fi meets.  I own the Asgard 1 & 2 and the O2.  The Magni is a nice entry level desktop amp.  You should try it and see if does the job you want it to do.  The Asgard is a tier above in all respects, starting with build quality. 

The O2 is just an amazing amp for the money.  It is the Swiss Army knife of amps.  Its negatives are the connection to the input source, power connection on the front instead of the back, and only a 1/8" headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back