300-500$ best in-ear monitors (Universal fit) ?
Dec 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 32
SM3, FX700, IE8, SA7, GR10 and Radius DDM..............

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
yes, the tf10 is technically better (and cheaper) then the SE 530. But the problem is the build quality and the fit. (i have no problems with that but a lot of others)

Well, I find the fit to be pretty good, it's just the form that is unfortunate :frowning2:
The build is also good, the materials are durable and I heard that the triplefis don't die easily, however the materials don't feel very premium. Then again, nor do the other triple driver iems, i.e. sm3, westone 3, shure 530 etc.

Edit: here is the link to my brief review http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529372/tf10-first-impressions

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #20 of 32
the vi. has a microphone, that´s all. 

@ Leander7777: yes, i red your impressions. btw: the tripli fi. was the direct answer to compete the SE 530 a few years ago.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #21 of 32
I would say some re0's and a good amp. But if you want insane amounts of bass count those out. They have amazing highs though.

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Hello guys !

I'm new to this very nice looking forum and i need a little peace of your help as i'm not an expert in headphones, but first i wish you all a Merry christmass, a happy and healthy holiday !

In the search of very good in ear monitors (universal fit), i surfed the web and compared some ones with reviews like the Q-Jays, SE530.. i was ready to pay 400$ for the SE530 (I'm not quite sure :p) until i read that the Q-jays were excellent for their price, so i ordered them and received them 1 week ago. I felt very disappointed, first, i listen every kind of music but especially classical music (movies soundtracks..), Trance and Progressive house, and rock/Heavy metal (Scorpions) with electric guitar. The Q-jays were the first good quality in-ear headphones i tried, so my first feeling was good, especially when listening classical music, but with Trance, house and every kind of music requiring a very good bass power and quality to be appreciated, i very was disappointed.

So i sent them back to Amazon for refund, and i need your help.. I plan to buy in ear ones i would use for at least 3 years, especially for use with my macbook pro 2010, and apple products like ipod Nano and Iphone 4.

I am ready to pay 400-500$ if it worth it, and if i really can use their entire potential with apple products. So i'm searching for overall very good in-ear with a very good bass power and quality for 300 to 500$, i don't know if i should close my eyes and buy the new Shure SE535 without thinking, or the Westone 3, Earsonic SM3..etc? or which one could make me happy for the next years ?

Thank you in advance !

Hello, I have also recently just moved into the world of IEMs so I thought I should share my experience. From the OP, it seems like you're looking for something with a lot of bass. Though I've never heard the q-jays myself, I'm sure they're really good IEMs - but only if you learn to appreciate the more subtle things in music (like detail and transparency). I have been down that road before when I purchased my Westone 2 in January. I was not impressed simply because it did not produce enough bass for me. Luckily, I haven't heard of Head-Fi before and I simply continued to listen to the W2 for several months whilst accepting that it wasn't a very good IEM. When my friend introduced me to the audiophile world, I got excited to try all the other IEMs in the market to fill my need for something with more bass so I bought the IE8. And boy was I in for a shocker! The moment I first listened to the IE8, I can't help but to cringe at the veil it has over the midrange. I don't think it is a bad IEM, it is just that I was so used to the smooth, forward and detailed mids of the W2 over the few months of using it, and I hadn't realised it! Only when I tried something else that is "high-end" did I realize that the W2 were actually excellent in comparison. I probably had an unrealistic expectation of how IEMs should sound like but now, I have a much better idea of how good IEMs sound and my W2 is indeed brilliant.

I just hope my little story will help you understand that first and foremost, the q-jays have probably a good and accurate bass. It's far from the strongest but it should sound more natural than say a CX400. Maybe buying a small amp will help. The E5 is an extremely cheap and portable option for added bass. But YMMV. This is just my opinion and my experience. I can suggest a few IEMs that have quite a bit more bass than the q-jays. In fact, the $30 CX300 and AH-C252 will produce more bass than the q-jays. However, since you have a huge budget, I can recommend the Westone 3 which I currently own as well. It has plenty of bass, but again the added bass make some music esp classical sound unnatural. Monster turbine copper / Miles Davis & TF10pro also offer detailed sound with plenty of bass. And because of the popularity of the IE8, I shall recommend them too although I personally cannot live with them.

Remember to also check |joker|'s multi-IEM review and don't forget that how a IEM sound is a lot more than just it's bass alone.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #23 of 32
Hi tuahogary !

Thanks for your post, i think you are totally right, I don't have enough experience in general audio stuff, I only have basic ipod earphones and a Bose QuietComfort 15 for traveling that is nice, but it's true that my first impression of the Q-jays was bad because of this poor quantity of bass when listening Electro music, but when i listened to classical music it was fantastic and I had the feeling the instruments were very close to me. It was new to me.

I certainly need to experience many kinds of IEM to learn more about sound, find the sound signature that fit to my ears.

I'm not searching for IEM that have too much bass, but the true one as it has been recorded in the sound, i have a Beosound 8 and when I listen to electro music for exemple, i hear a very well balanced bass, just enough and not too much, but with the Q-jays I had the feeling i was listening music on my macbook pro, it wasn't good for me.. It was better than any other headphone i used, but for the price it cost it wasn't acceptable for me.

I think I will try the TF10 and after that, wait for a review of the 1964-Q and buy it, (or the 1964-T, or JH5 Pro). 

Anyway thanks all for your advices ! :wink:

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
yes, the tf10 is technically better (and cheaper) then the SE 530. But the problem is the build quality and the fit. (i have no problems with that but a lot of others)

How are they 'technically better'? You can prefer them (i didn't) but both are 3 driver 2 ways. In any case I don't think any of what most are recommending or my personal favs are what he wants. The Jays have as similar bass quantity bass to the Shures or TF10s and those weren't enough. Maybe a W3, 1964q or MTPC would suit. I thought tuahogary 's response very helful.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #25 of 32
THe tripleFis have a 2 way crossover, while the Shures only have one crossover. I didn't check again, so I might be mixing the Shures up with another Triple armature iem. Nonetheless, the vast majority of people prefer the TripleFi's sound over the Shure 530's

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 32
2 way means one crossover point.
wink_face.gif
 I suspect sales figures while both were current and sold near retail would indicate that one was not vastly preferred over the other even though the Shure cost more. I'm sure being able to get TF10s for under $200 has swayed sales since then but that's not a qualitative issue. Both good and there are definitely 2 schools of preference.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 32
But I found them too unnatural to enjoy. I preferred the Shures and lived with both. The mid res is better and the bass charaacter more natural on the shure, I agree on the other aspects but an accurate or mucical result is grreater than the sum of it's parts. The point is that it's beyond what you or I prefer and your's is a myopic view. Valid for you or anyine else that like that sig but not for those that don't. I'm glad that you like yours so much.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back