300-400$ Headphones , Amp, DAC
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lubeless

New Head-Fier
Hi again,

The reason for this second thread of mine is that i finally figured what kind of equipment im after.

I want headphones within the price range of the Sennheiser HD650, and im currently hesitating between those and the Hifiman HE400... Any other suggestions in this price range? Is one definitely better than the other? Im leaning towards the HD650 because they are easier to buy in canada.  Oh and there is also the SoundMAGIC HP200 that looks interesting...

If I go with the HD650,  there is no way that I will leave them ''un-amped'... Im looking to plug them in my computer using a DAC and amplify it with a decent desktop amp....

What is the best amp I should get for it without going nuts budget-wise?  How much should I expect to spend?  Im looking at the Schiit Magni + Modi combo... But I hear that tube would sound better on the HD650...

I appreciate your input :)

EDIT: poll added, im still a bit confused even though the HE400 is my current favorite (might change since i always seem to change my mind... XD )

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Between the two cans you are considering, I prefer the HD 650.  However, both are quite good and you can read about them both in this excellent piece:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

I like the HD 650 with the hybrid HIFIMAN - EF-5 HEADPHONE AMP.  However, it's probably well over your budget.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 9
how about audio gd 11.32?

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 9

The reason for this second thread of mine is that I finally figured what kind of equipment I'm after.
I want headphones within the price range of the Sennheiser HD650, and I'm currently hesitating between those and the Hifiman HE400... Any other suggestions in this price range? Is one definitely better than the other? I'm leaning towards the HD650 because they are easier to buy in Canada.  Oh and there is also the SoundMAGIC HP200 that looks interesting...
If I go with the HD650,  there is no way that I will leave them ''un-amped'... I'm looking to plug them in my computer using a DAC and amplify it with a decent desktop amp....
What is the best amp I should get for it without going nuts budget-wise?  How much should I expect to spend?  I'm looking at the Schiit Magni + Modi combo... But I hear that tube would sound better on the HD650...

How much are you will to spend for a headphone & DAC & headphone amplifier, in total?

The Sound Magic HP200 is only 20-Ohm, so even my $27 Fiio E6 head amp could drive it.
(but in truth I know little about the HP200)

For something at a good price value.

SoundMagic HP200 headphones, $250-$270
Asus Xonar DX sound card, used $65
Schiit Magni or O2 headphone amplifier, $120-$140

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 9
How much are you will to spend for a headphone & DAC & headphone amplifier, in total?

The Sound Magic HP200 is only 20-Ohm, so even my $27 Fiio E6 head amp could drive it.
(but in truth I know little about the HP200)

For something at a good price value.

SoundMagic HP200 headphones, $250-$270
Asus Xonar DX sound card, used $65
Schiit Magni or O2 headphone amplifier, $120-$140
i think i will go with the soundmagic hp200, magni+modi for now. But the he400 are ortho planar which is very appealing to the geek inside me... arrrgh...

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 9
for the geek inside you, start to bargain http://www.head-fi.org/t/689917/hifiman-he-400-rev2-excellent-condition

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690765/hifiman-he-400-mint (make sure that these phones are rev 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back