3-way shootout; Focal Clear vs Hifiman Arya vs Focal Stellia
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #16 of 25
Great honest human feedback. I love, like love the utopias, but i also love the clears. I honestly love all focal headphones ive heard, i just know which i love more, and i think everyone’s kind feedback is reinforcing the life lesson ive learned of buy what i want or save up until i can if my means can make it work(also.... avoid buying twice by settling first, oops).

What dac/amp are you using with these?
I'm just using a Dragonfly Red. I use these mostly at work. Drives them absolutely fine.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #18 of 25
Don't write off the Arya from your less than ideal audition. I've heard an Empyrean owner has said the Hifiman is better than the Meze after hearing.
I might be a minority here, but in my opinion open-back headphones serve no purpose and that's why the phenomenal performance of the Stellia is so exciting.

I listen to my home loud-speaker system when I want music at home alone. I use my cans when I'm at work on the go. That's my use-case. Not saying its everyone's use-case but I'd say its probably pretty common. Closed back TOTL headphones are where its at for me.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #19 of 25
Im leaning towards the closed back since i live in a small somewhat noisy apartmen, but of curiosity, are there any things to worry about when it comes to getting a pair of used utopias? I didnt know if they were super fragile or had issues to look for being made of such fancy materials.
When I buy used, I prefer to purchase an item that is still with its original owner and ideally in superb condition. I ask questions (like how much were they used and at what volume) and can tell a lot by the manner in which the seller responds, both about the headphones and about whether I want to deal with the seller. If the headphones haven't been abused, dropped, etc., I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. My understanding is Focal honors the warranty for five years from original sale no matter who currently owns it. They aren't fragile, in general.

One possible issue is the leather in the headband and earpads can be a sponge for body oils. You can get new pads if you want (for around $200, I believe) and there's a cool knitted wrapping cover for the headband available on eBay for about $10. I can post a link if you're interested.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 25
I might be a minority here, but in my opinion open-back headphones serve no purpose and that's why the phenomenal performance of the Stellia is so exciting.

I listen to my home loud-speaker system when I want music at home alone. I use my cans when I'm at work on the go. That's my use-case. Not saying its everyone's use-case but I'd say its probably pretty common. Closed back TOTL headphones are where its at for me.
I work from home, and am rarely alone in the house. Open back headphones are perfect for me. I also have closed backs (and IEMs) for the other situations you mention.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 25
Yes, but the Utupia's are less practical in that they need a dedicated high end headphone amp to properly drive them & get the best out of them. And also, being open back, they're not practical in noisy environments or public places. The Stelia's OTOH can be driven comfortably with a high end DAP like an AK SP1000 or SP2000, or portable headphone amp like a Woo Audio WA8. And obviously they can be used at home, on long train or plane trips, on holiday, anywhere really.
I agree with the dedicated headphone amp part, not sure about it having to be high end. Currently using a Nuforce Icon/DAC (no longer in production) for a bedroom amp with the Utopia. The pairing definitely works without any detectable shortcomings or at least to my 60 year old ears. Not saying the Icon performs on the same level as the Yggdrasil /Ragnarok combo but it has nothing to be ashamed of when paired with the Utopia. The Nuforce Icon was less than $500 when new.

Jul 27, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 25

Open backs may serve no purpose for you, but there very few closed backs that even deserve a 2nd look IMO going back almost 40 years. Unless you listen to open backs at crunching volumes they can barely be heard at 10 feet. I used to have some great speakers (Verity Parsifal v3, ML XLS IIz w/ Gradient subs) and I've got open backed headphones that cost 25 to 35x less that sound better in some ways.

I will try to find the Stellia to listen to, and see if it's worthy.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #24 of 25

Yes, you are in the minority.
The consensual fact is that, regarding sound quality, an open back is going to win.
This is why all "real" headphone makers, put their best TEK $$$$$$$$ into "open" headphones.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #25 of 25
I have both the Stellia and the Utopia and absolutely enjoy them both. The Stellia is more practical for everyday use inside and outside of the house. And, the Stellia sounds fantastic even though it is a closed back. But, the Stellia is big for true mobility use. Realizing that most of the world uses closed back headphones speaks to their versatility. A feature that my Utopias don't have. But, the sound of the Utopias is UNREAL. If it were just about sound, the Utopias take the cake. But the use case makes them less than practical. And, my life is noisy and I travel for work a lot so my opportunities are fewer with the Utopias but not gone. Having both really makes it nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back