$3 to deliver a PIZZA! What a crock...
Jul 10, 2006 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
Rant on...My wife and I decided to order a pizza yesterday from one of the better known pizza shops here in Buffalo. They specialize in more or less "gourmet" pizzas so they thier pizzas cost a bit more, but the quality is good so it is fair. I went ahead and ordered what I thought was an $18 large pizza and the girl on the phone told me that it would come to $22.xx! I asked her why it was so much, and she said it was a $1.60 or so for tax plus $3 for delivery. I've never heard of such a high charge for delivery. Anyone here ever pay that much to have a pizza delivered? I know gas is pricey, but damn we live about 2 miles from the pizza joint. I decided to go and pick the pizza up myself even though I was busy cleaning my workshop. With a $3 delivery charge, do you even give the driver a tip? I wonder if he gets only some or all of that $3. Rant off.

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 144
That, my friend, is why God invented Freschetta.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 144
i always feel bad about Lombardi's Pizza delivering all the way down here from Little Italy, so since the pizza already cost 20, I double up on the tip.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 144
having worked at dominos ages ago the delivery charge really screws the driver...usually that is the cover the expense the restaurant pays to the driver..ie a set amount for gas/wear and tear on the car.. these drivers really depend on the tips for their livelihood..that said i couldnt understand why some guys were doing this as a permanet job. it is tough making a living 1-2 bucks at a time. the upside was i was jamming to my rocking car stereo until my alternator died because of all the turning off and turning on of the engine
frown.gif

nowadays i overtip but i am thinking about scaling back. as all these extra bucks are proabably costing me a grand or more a year.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
having worked at dominos ages ago the delivery charge really screws the driver...usually that is the cover the expense the restaurant pays to the driver..ie a set amount for gas/wear and tear on the car.. these drivers really depend on the tips for their livelihood..that said i couldnt understand why some guys were doing this as a permanet job. it is tough making a living 1-2 bucks at a time. the upside was i was jamming to my rocking car stereo until my alternator died because of all the turning off and turning on of the engine
frown.gif

nowadays i overtip but i am thinking about scaling back. as all these extra bucks are proabably costing me a grand or more a year.

How much freaking pizza do you eat over there? Go fish in your lake!
icon10.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
How much freaking pizza do you eat over there? Go fish in your lake!
icon10.gif

Considering these tips are a few bucks, no matter what your tipping, if it's under 5 your talking about like 200+ pizzas a year, and considering there are only 365 days in a year, he either eats 15 pizzas at a time, or is ordering a pizza almost every day!

PS, Hotel California rocks
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Considering these tips are a few bucks, no matter what your tipping, if it's under 5 your talking about like 200+ pizzas a year, and considering there are only 365 days in a year, he either eats 15 pizzas at a time, or is ordering a pizza almost every day!

PS, Hotel California rocks
biggrin.gif

I think he meant that he was just overtipping in general and not necessarily just to pizza delivery people...a few extra bucks to the hair dresser here, a few extra to the waitress there...and I could imagine it adding up over the year...

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 144
not tips for pizzas..i was talking about overtipping in all restaurants, car washes, deleivery etc....i think i am being too generous and it is hurting me in the pocketbook. i used to give 20% regardless of service but i am going to do 10% if crappy 15% for normal and 20% for good..that adds up to a grand

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
not tips for pizzas..i was talking about overtipping in all restaurants, car washes, deleivery etc....i think i am being too generous and it is hurting me in the pocketbook. i used to give 20% regardless of service but i am going to do 10% if crappy 15% for normal and 20% for good..that adds up to a grand

I think on special occasions such as if it's the waitresses first day or something, being nice sometimes isn't a bad thing. At the toronto meet, we all went out for dinner (about 20 of us), and the waitress was on her first or second day. I think I tipped about 20% myself, although the meal was only 21 dollars after tax.

But, in Canada, when you take tax which is 15%, and already add the standard 15% tip (Although standard may be considered as 10%), it can get costy, especially on elaborate meals or dinners for multiple people. Too many people don't open their mouth enough for bad service, or some people try to scringe on everything to get a free meal like this lawyer I know who probably makes half a million. I freaking hate people who screw with restraunts / food places in general, they are a business, if everybody goes in and begins to make up errors with their food to get free food, then they will go under.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 144
Yea this place I used to order from used to charge $2.00 for delivery, and the pizza was already like $16, they usally say they'll be there 30 minutes and it take an hour and a half for delivery (3 miles away) so I never really felt inclined to tip the driver more (a.)late b.)pizza already $18 something with tax) The last time I got pizza from that place the driver gave me a dirty look and tried to do a burn out leaving my drive way.

I know there trying to make a living, but so was I...I would get home from a crappy call center job takin over a hundred calls a day, put up with big brother monitoring, and makin $10 an hour, how much should a pizza cost? I shouldn't have to work 2 hours just to be able to buy a decent pie.

When I dined out I was usally generous 20% unless the waiter/waitress was snotty and or poor service depending on how bad the tip steadily went down, one time was so bad I got dinner for free and left no tip, I didn't even ask for the food for free but I was sitting there an hour, then they brough the wrong thing out, 45 more minutes they brought what I ordered out and it was cold
frown.gif
When I spend my hard earned money it better be up to my expectations which I don't feel are overally high (serve the food within 45 minutes and have it at least warm, smile and be plesent, thats all I ask)

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 144
Comfortably numb, I just read your post. Under your requirements, you say smile and be happy. I don't mean to critize waitors / waitresses, but lately many of these places I've been going to have waitresses that look like they are ready to jump off a building. They seem really depressed looking and are far from happy, I mean it really is scary. Sometimes you get a waitor / waitress with way too much energy too. I guess it all depends.

Anybody else been experiencing waitors / waiersses that seem really unhappy?

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 144
Well I am sure it is a crappy job and they have to put up with allot of *%#(* but so did I, people cursing me out, screaming at me etc...Guess what it was part of the job, deal with it. I would have to hang up and put the fake smile and attitude right back on and take the next call.

Some people just can't hack takin abuse all day, it's just part of the job, no one ever said work was easy, if it was then it wouldn't be work. I have had a multitude of different jobs retail, changing oil, tech support just to name a few, no job is perfect. If they are truly that unhappy, then they should find another job.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Well I am sure it is a crappy job and they have to put up with allot of *%#(* but so did I, people cursing me out, screaming at me etc...Guess what it was part of the job, deal with it. I would have to hang up and put the fake smile and attitude right back on and take the next call.

Some people just can't hack takin abuse all day, it's just part of the job, no one ever said work was easy, if it was then it wouldn't be work. I have had a multitude of different jobs retail, changing oil, tech support just to name a few, no job is perfect.

I disagree. My dads job is perfect. He is severely overpaid imho, and he get sto work at home 98% of the time except for meetings or when he needs to drop by the datacentre and push some switches. The only thing is, he spends all day reading computer books (or used to atleast), getting certs and mantaining a good mind of knowledge. Haha.

I don't know man. I'm too young to get into discussions like these, but a waitor / waitress is more of a job then a career imho. This is probably not the best subject to get into though. If your working as a waitor / waitress permenatley, then I don't know what to say. I always thought of it more as a temporary job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back