3 things I learned tonight
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Slaughter

1000+ Head-Fier
1. Roll some old tubes. Go back to some old tubes that you haven't rolled in a while. I discovered a Tung-Sol that I remembered not liking before. Now I am loving the balance and extra sweetness on the top end and looking for more on ebay.

2. Headphone position. I am a creature of habit and have always worn my HD580 the same way, center of the ear and the driver slightly forward. Tonight I dropped them down a notch and centered them over my ear, which made the pads kind of touch the back of my head. Wow! Soundstage was the biggest improvement. More 3 dimensional and the highs were much clearer. I guess thats why Sennheiser angles the headband forward, so you can wear them further back without them slipping off. Why didn't I do this years ago???

3. Low volume listening. I have guests for the holidays and can't rock my open phones this week, so I put them on a few notches lower than usual. It took about an hour, but my ears got use to the reduced volume and I am hearing nuances in the recording I have never heard. Bass is much better defined as well. For some reason I can only listen at low volume in near darkness. The light over stimulates my senses or something.

I have a Fischer 002 woodie on order and an NFB-12, but after what I discovered tonight, most of my concerns with my setup with corrected. Looks like there might be some new gear in the for sale forum soon...

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 3
I seem to recall a very long thread here that included diagrams of the best positioning for the K601/K70*, and it didnt look 'intuitive' to me - not sure about the 580s, but all of these headphones have large earcups and it stands to reason that adjusting positioning will change the sound, for better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back