3 Releases - Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction
Jul 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I own:

Capitol CDP 7985312
EMI 5986202
Mobile Fidelity UDCD 765

Oddly enough, the Mobile Fidelity version isn't my favorite.  It is too loud, albeit without clipping.  Dynamic range is lost because the loudness is pushed on just about every instrument, so everything sounds the same.  I don't know how to explain a mastering job that I don't like - except that my ears get tired really quickly and the muscles around my jaw's hinges start to tingle and get tense.

The EMI version has a decent amount of clipping and is too loud.  I don't like it at all.  My ears tire of it very quickly, and I get an annoying headache.

The Capitol version is my favorite, as there is tons of dynamic range that makes it easy to listen to and to imagine the musicians in their proper positions on stage - as opposed to the too loud versions that sound like every instrument is equi-distant and equally loud and in my face.

I suppose if you really wanted a louder, more in-your-face version you could opt for the MoFi version.  Some may think the Capitol version is too tame, and I suppose there are some things a good remastering job could improve - maybe vocals could be brought forward a bit and bass be given a bit more punch.  However, of the three, it is my choice by far.

Does anyone have any of these releases?  What are your thoughts?  How about those of you that have other releases?  Any good ones worth grabbing?

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 3
I had a quick "spinn" on the harddrives....

he original capitol has very sharp drums and sound kind of... flat?

EMI (remixed / remastered) does not sound right

Mobile nails it. no harsh sounds, lush, power and does not sound "flat". The dynamics from the capitol and the power from the EMI. It's my "go to" -edition.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 3
I find the original to be far superior. The Mobile Fidelity version is loud, overly compressed, and lacks dynamic range. In the original version, every instrument is crisp, clear, and distinct. In the Mobile Fidelity version, the instruments all sound jumbled together into one massive wall of noise.

I could see someone preferring the Mobile Fidelity version if they plan on blasting it loud out of some speakers. But I wouldn't want to be listening to that kind of loud noise coming out of my head phones. The original version is far more musical and less noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back