3 reasons why Derrick Lee won't win a triple crown
Jun 30, 2005 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been a Cubs fan all my life, and I'd love to see them win a bunch of games and go to the world series, but I know it probably won't happen. What really pisses me off, though, is that now that they have a guy who could really do something amazing, the rest of the team is not structured to help him out at all. Lots of sports analysts are talking about how Mr. Lee is either leading, or right up there in the major offensive categories, but no one seems to be talking about what will eventually keep him from winning at least one of the necessary titles.

1. Corey Patterson- This guy just drives me nuts. He's a fast, talented centerfielder with a lot going for him, but he just can't get on base. Striking out once a game, and swinging at every other high fastball isn't helping his cause any. The biggest problem is that he's supposed to be the leadoff hitter. You know, the guy who tries to draw walks, slap the ball around, steal bases, and generally make things happen? Well, obviously it isn't happening. Without a good leadoff man who gets on base frequently, Lee will never win the RBI title, because he'll always be up with 2 outs and nobody on, or leading off innings.

2. The Cubs need Lee's offensive production desperately, and when he's slumping, the team slumps. Thats why he's played every game so far, and why he'll probably play all 162 games. That makes a guy really tired. As the season wears on, fatigue will really start to set in, and those line drives that were going out will start going to outfielders or hitting the fence, hard ground balls that were slipping through, will slow down enough for the infielders to grab them, and throws to first he's beating out now will nail him at the last step. Without someone to occasionally pick up the slack for him, he's going to start dropping out of both the home run and maybe even the batting title races.

3. This is by far the most important one. Remember in '98-'01, when the home run race was burning away? Yeah, there were Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds. Despite hitting 240 home runs, and having 3 60 home run seasons, Sosa only won one home run title, and it was in '00, the only one of the four years he hit fewer than 60. Also, what do 97 and 60 mean to the cubs? The years since their last World Series win and appearance respectively. This team was born for the letdown. Unfortunately for Lee, I think the curse will fall on him as well.

So Cubs fans, lets go get drunk and mourn our ailing team. At least there's always next year.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I understand. Just give it a little time. Dusty Baker is a good manager. I watched Bonds go through the same thing for many depressing seasons in the NL West cellar. - Then in the late 90s and early 200x's SF was in the playoff hunt. Once the Cubs get healthier and the timing is right I think they can make a good run for it too.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 13
I bet you hate Oakland A's fans.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, Baker is a really good manager, it looks like the Cubs'll have their third straight winning season. I'm not sure if that's ever happened.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I bet you hate Oakland A's fans.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, Baker is a really good manager, it looks like the Cubs'll have their third straight winning season. I'm not sure if that's ever happened.

Yup, I used to h8 that green and yellow so much. But now I sympathize for the fans because the A's totally unloaded a team that had great potential. Giambi, Tejada, Hudson, Mulder...many more - although some would have been released or traded eventually, it was still disappointing to see as a baseball fan.

If Wood and Prior were both healthy and in rhythm, watch out...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Unfortunately, the owners will do anything for more profit.
I think Prior is going to have a great career, but I have serious doubts about Wood. He's 28, has had only 2 full seasons and has never won 15 games. I almost want to see the Cubs turn him into a closer.

Jun 30, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Yikes, I didn't know you were a Cubs fan. I'll have to rescind that invitation to my home.

Go White Sox!

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 13
White Sox! You traitor.
I always find it funny that when everyone talks about long stretches between world series wins they always forget the Sox. The last time the southsiders won was '17 the year before the other Sox team won.

Jun 30, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 13
The Cubs suck..... Twice.
biggrin.gif

Seriously,I saw a street interview with Cubs fans after a game on the street and most of them did'nt even know who Derrick Lee was. This would have been funny had it not been so pitiful. It's a shame he's stuck on the Cubs.

As much as I hate the Cubs and love to dump large piles on Cubs fans,I do feel your pain. How terrible it must be to love a perpetual loser.

Dusty is great and Derrick is fantastic but they're both Cubs and that's the doom of them both. In a perfect world Derrick would play for the White Sox(Chicago's best sports team) and the Cubs would still suck.

[size=xx-large]Go White Sox!!!!!!!![/size]

Of course you guys know,I'm just poking fun and I pity you all.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 13
Tuberoller, the last time the Sox had a team making a run for the world series, and a guy making a run for the triple crown, all of baseball quit shortly after the all star break. I get the chills every time I see the Sox win, how would baseball recover from a second strike?
EDIT
Yeah, it would be really crazy if Lee were playing for the Sox. Imagine a guy like that hitting after Posednik and Iguchi. He'd probably have driven over 100 already, and the Sox might not have lost a game. Or maybe not.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 13
It's true, the Cubs suck.

Dusty Baker will ride his entire rotation into the ground before the end of July...Mark Prior's elbow will spontaneously combust, Carlos Zambrano will succumb to cramps, and Maddux will give up forty home runs.

Something is not right with the world if America's most loveable losers do not lose.

That said...

[size=medium]GO PADRES![/size]

-Matt

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 13
It's funny, but all the true and die-hard cubs fans know they suck, and believe they suck the most out of all of them. I have been a cubs fan for as long as i can remember, and trust me, I know they suck more than the next person does.

Derrick Lee is great, he was a huge proponent in our defeat to the Marlins, and was glad he got picked up, but alas, his numbers mean nothing to such a bunch of losers. Dusty is NOT a good manager, and I blame him and his nonchalant I'll just sit in the dughouse while my pitcher and team gets all riled up over a stupid foul ball over some poor fan loss to the Marlins in Game 6. jeez, dusty, call a timeout and bring the whole team in, cool them down and take care of business. We're up 3-2, with are best 2 pitchers finishing, and we can't win the series to go to the world series, how embarrassing.

And no, its not Bartmann, poor guy, stupid cubs fans try to blame stuff on other people and not on themselves. Prior, relax, its a foul ball, get over it. Moises, even if Bartmann wasn't there, you still would have not caught the damn ball. And whoever that shortstop was (Alex Sanchez? who cares), its your freaking error through your legs that cost us that pivotal game 6.

The cubs aren't cursed; we just suck. The Red Sox won their championship because they realized it wasnt a curse, they just suck, so they got better and they won. We will never win because our management doesnt care, they make plenty of money in jerseys and beer sales; go to a cubs game, do you think the fans really care whether they win or not? No, they don't, they just want to get crunked and that's it.

I am always going to be a cubs fan, no matter what, but i still think they suck. I have respect for Sox fans because at least they actually watch the game, good luck to you all, and be happy that you dont suck as much as the cubs...

...go cubs
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, Alex Gonzales was the luckiest guy in the world when everybody focused their hate toward that fan instead of on his bonehead error.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Yeah, Alex Gonzales was the luckiest guy in the world when everybody focused their hate toward that fan instead of on his bonehead error.

arrrggg...now you made me remember his name, oh oh, the anger and frustration is starting to build, thanks a lot
rolleyes.gif

...must resist from turning into Super Saiyan 4 and blasting the cubs with a supra dupra supra kame-hame-ultra wide bandwidth-ha blast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back