3 pin xlr termination instructions
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
looking at a male and female 3 pin xlr termination in the attached pic

apparently, pin 1 is ground, but pins 2 and 3 are termed positive polarity terminal (hot) and return terminal (cold) respectively.

How does this translate to left and right channel? Or is it more complicated than simply one pin for left, one for right and one for ground?

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 20
I plan to use two for balanced, but also to use 2 female xlr terminations connected to a 1/4" trs plug for single ended use where only a 1/4" jack is available.

so basically the headphone will be balanced, but have an adaptor to use in normal single ended headphone jacks and equipment so I can use either/or configuration.

sorry, didn't make myself clear in either post, this is for a headphone retermination.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Ah. For balanced its just pin 1 = ground(not used) pin 2 = hot(normal signal) pin 3 = cold(reversed polarity of pin 2). Pin 2 you hook up like normal to the headphone and pin 3 you hook to the wire that would normally be ground. One xlr connector will be for the right channel and the other will be for the left channel.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/xlr...or-pin-374555/

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 20
I just had to research it not long ago for reterminating my k701 and making the adapter for my k1000 lol.

Edit: You have to make sure there are 4 wires to do this also. 2 for each driver. If there is a common ground line that runs to both drivers, then you will have to recable for 2 wires to each driver.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 20
On mine orange/red was right +. Yellow was left +. black was right - and white was left -. Sometimes the ground lines can be backwards. Just use a multimeter and measure the resistance from red to black and red to white. Whichever wire gives you approx 60 ohms = correct wire for pin 3 on the right channel.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had to research it not long ago for reterminating my k701 and making the adapter for my k1000 lol.

Edit: You have to make sure there are 4 wires to do this also. 2 for each driver. If there is a common ground line that runs to both drivers, then you will have to recable for 2 wires to each driver.

Yes, I haven't opened the phones up yet but I am of the understanding that each driver will have a ground along with the signal (signal is positive and ground negative?) so will have two wires from each driver, 4 in total. As the k701 is se in stock config I guess their will be a common ground, so my plan is to desolder both drivers, open up the cup on one side to match the cable entry point on the other side and run the two wires direct to the driver from there.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

On mine orange/red was right +. Yellow was left +. black was right - and white was left -. Sometimes the ground lines can be backwards. Just use a multimeter and measure the resistance from red to black and red to white. Whichever wire gives you approx 60 ohms = correct wire for pin 3 on the right channel.

excellent stuff. ordered in the xlr's and 1/4" trs just gotta wait for more cashola for the cable
frown.gif
thanks for the advice mate, appreciate your replies and assistance.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

The k701 has 4 wires running all the way down. You can just cut the trs connector off and reterminate the stock cord if you want.

I wanted to have it opened from both sides, theres a post around here with a pic showing a guy who had done the same thing and it looked good, plus with the balanced thing I thought I would go that way. Does involve a bit of hole tapering and filing etc but I think it would make a good project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back