3 Piece Computer Speaker Recommendations
Jul 10, 2003 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drpje

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a 2.1 speaker system that I can use with my computer and iPod. I am mainly interested in good audio quality especially mid range and highs. I mainly listen to jazz. Loud volume and deep bass are not important. My price range is under $150. Thanks

Jul 10, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Do they have to be portable (just asking because of forum and iPod reference)?

I like the Cambridge Microworks for jazz.

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Do they have to be portable (just asking because of forum and iPod reference)?

I like the Cambridge Microworks for jazz.

[size=small]I second that recommendation strongly. I have the MusicWorks 300 minisystem, which is the MicroWorks 2.1 speaker set with a CD/FM tuner centerpiece. The MicroWorks speaker set is the work of the late and oh-so-great Henry Kloss, the speaker design genius. Since the built-in amp is so closely tuned to the speaker drivers, you get a super clean, very low distortion sound signal even when you crank up the volume. [/size]

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 5
From here.

Listening - Music
As I've mentioned earlier in our Altec Lansing ADA890 review, many computer speakers are seriously lacking in detail. There is just so much more to hear on a good speaker system! In the case of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 with it's MicroTractrix horn tweeters, the system managed to produce some of the best level of detail we've heard. Seriously, only the Grado SR60s match the Klipschs in terms of detail. Even the Altec Lansing ADA890s don't seem to offer as much insight into the music as the Promedia 2.1s. I was never really a big fan of horn loaded speakers as I think they sound bright, with the exception of Klipsch that is. Klipsch speakers are the only horn loaded speakers that sound great to me. The Klipsch horn tweeters sound warm and detailed and the Promedia 2.1 here is no exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back