3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #181 of 459
Damn!!

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #183 of 459
Do any of you know how to change the ear cushions on Signature Pro?

I want to swap the original leather pads for the replacement ones from Ultrasone, https://ultrasone.com/produkt/signature-pro-dj-ohrpolster/ , made from the new more comfortable and dimensionally stable leather, as the old ones are starting to press on the ear.

I just see that the prices for replacement ear pads have gone up heftily. I still got the replacement pads last week for 89 EUR.

Thanks a lot!

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #184 of 459
Do any of you know how to change the ear cushions on Signature Pro?

Should be the same as this method here (youtube video)

They pulled the pad right off in the video, but sometimes it's easier to place your thumb on the outside of the pads for support, then stick your index and middle finger inside the pad as close to your thumb as possible. Push outwards on your index and middle finger to release the lip from the cup, then gently pull towards you to pull the pad off of the cup. The pads come off easy.

Sometimes the stock pads seem a little small when you are trying to install them, so you have to stretch the band a little to get it back over the lip of the cup.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #186 of 459
I own the Signature DJ (previously owned the signature pro) Looking for a backup/upgrade headphone that is most the same as my current DJ (as my current pads have become very thin also)
Any reason to go for the Signature Master? I read it has better quality/detailsthen the pulse? but minus the heavy bass?
That really puts me on the spot as I want bass emphasize + best details balance.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #187 of 459
I want bass emphasize + best details balance.

Yep, that is the Masters. They definitely have a bass emphasis while still retaining a great balance and great control of the bass. With the Pulse you will lose detail, clarity, and control. The Pulse's are fun and share more with the Masters than not, but what you are describing is the Masters.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #188 of 459
My Signature Pro is my travel companion because with its rather dark sound it fits very well with my mobile system that sounds a bit brighter. But there are now also the ear pads with the soft Afghan leather so deformed that they are slowly becoming uncomfortable.

The Signature Master is still my most used Ultrasone. Have found that he harmonizes sonically very well with 300B tube amplifiers, which emphasize the midrange a little more and by the present frequency ends of the Master with him sound very homogeneous with a fantastically beautiful midrange. The 300B amplifier makes the mids of the Master even more beautiful and the Master wonderfully balances the slightly falling treble and bass of the 300B, so that both components complement each other ideally.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #189 of 459
Yep, that is the Masters. They definitely have a bass emphasis while still retaining a great balance and great control of the bass. With the Pulse you will lose detail, clarity, and control. The Pulse's are fun and share more with the Masters than not, but what you are describing is the Masters.
Yet the emphasis is less then with the pulse... i mean you have emphasis and then you have EMPHAsis? idk lol Haha
I mean the bass on the old signature pro wasn't bad either. but I do notice and like the signature DJ more now that i have it. sooo... is it the pulse vs masters a similiar comparison as to the jump in bass from the old signature pro vs signature DJ or... i doubt anyone knows but o well.

Or maybe just go with an old signature DJ somewhere (eventhouhg everywhere out of stock)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #190 of 459
Yet the emphasis is less then with the pulse... i mean you have emphasis and then you have EMPHAsis?

Yeah, I should have used a different word probably :D. Boosted would have been better, as the bass isn't the emphasis on the Masters. Overall in the newer Signature line you've got..
  • Master: boosted bass but done in a way that still sounds correct. As in, the bass doesn't take anything over, stays in it's place, hits hard, and is easily heard. I would call this a balanced overall sound where the bass is boosted. I'd need to compare to the DJ's to see how close they are, but on memory the Masters have a little bit less quantity but with far more control. I never found the Pro's to have enough bass for me. The Masters have enough. The Masters and the Naturals both have the most detail of the Signature series.
  • Natural: Very very similar to the Masters but with no bass boost. Less mid bloom and a more refined treble.
  • Pulse: Just a little more midbass compared to the Masters, but the bass is now emphasized to where it's everywhere. Not the same bass jump from Pros to DJ, as the Masters quantity is already really good. With the bass being the emphasis, there is a loss of the balance that the Masters have and the tone is a little darker. Not as much detail as the Masters, but they still sound great. Wonderful for EDM. A good all rounder overall, but the mids and treble may not be ideal for some. Personally they are on par with the DJ's. I did a Pulse to DJ comparison here.
  • X: Bass overload. More bass than the Pulse to the point that control is somewhat lost, and less detail than all of the headphones above. I'd personally take the DJ's over the X's. <-- EDIT, the previous comment is based on the X version 1 with the STOCK pads. With Brainwavz Round PU pads the X matches the Pulse in ability, and has more bass than any other Ultrasone. They are a solid counterpart to the Pulse. The Pulse is more of a typical clear and hard hitting tuning that is good with everything, the X is a much darker tune with a neutral treble & more bass. The X is great for EDM since it has so much bass, but the Pulses are more well rounded. Both are great choices..
All of the headphones above have different prices, so while it's easy to recommend the Masters they are also the most expensive. As always, I'm just one person. Never trust one person-- the power of head-fi is seeing multiple opinions to get to your own conclusion :). Others on this board have spoken about the Master's so you can probably get a good idea of what those are about. Not too much talk of the Pulse though, so you'd have to take a chance with limited info on those.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #191 of 459
Yeah, I should have used a different word probably :D. Boosted would have been better, as the bass isn't the emphasis on the Masters. Overall in the newer Signature line you've got..
  • Master: boosted bass but done in a way that still sounds correct. As in, the bass doesn't take anything over, stays in it's place, hits hard, and is easily heard. I would call this a balanced overall sound where the bass is boosted. I'd need to compare to the DJ's to see how close they are, but on memory the Masters have a little bit less quantity but with far more control. I never found the Pro's to have enough bass for me. The Masters have enough. The Masters and the Naturals both have the most detail of the Signature series.
  • Natural: Very very similar to the Masters but with no bass boost. More mid presence and a more refined treble.
  • Pulse: Just a little more midbass compared to the Masters, but the bass is now emphasized to where it's everywhere. Not the same bass jump from Pros to DJ, as the Masters quantity is already really good. With the bass being the emphasis, there is a loss of the balance that the Masters have and the tone is a little darker. Not as much detail as the Masters, but they still sound great. Wonderful for EDM. A good all rounder overall, but the mids and treble may not be ideal for some. Personally I'd take these over the DJ's, but it all depends on if you are OK with a darker than neutral tone. I did a Pulse to DJ comparison here.
  • X: Bass overload. More bass than the Pulse to the point that control is somewhat lost, and less detail than all of the headphones above. I'd personally take the DJ's over the X's.
All of the headphones above have different prices, so while it's easy to recommend the Masters they are also the most expensive. As always, I'm just one person. Never trust one person-- the power of head-fi is seeing multiple opinions to get to your own conclusion :). Others on this board have spoken about the Master's so you can probably get a good idea of what those are about. Not too much talk of the Pulse though, so you'd have to take a chance with limited info on those.
Thanks that is a very good summary to explain in the way what I wanted to know! Atleast like you say, from one person! :) Seems like the Master could be statistfactory for me then, as I also like to listen to alot of classical/orchesta music but also use it for gaming/movies and other type of music that extra boom is fun with. (I use it mainly on my desktop pc with Aune T1 SE MK 2 or MK3 version (i forgot :D), or with portable gaming devices and my fiio x5 mediaplayer.

I read that the master has default pads? and extra leather pads packed with them? is it hard for an unhandy(read retard) person to switch them? What are the default pads like?
One thing I noticed is that the leather pads get smelly over time, even if i clean them with alcohol it doesn't seem to go away. Maybe thats normal, but maybe i just cleaned them too infrequently. Also they become really flat... (i wear them like 10 hours a day, easy) happend pretty quick too imo.

For some reason there are like hardly any reviews of this master/puls/natural line, on youtube, or even text versions... i wonder why that is.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #192 of 459
I read that the master has default pads? and extra leather pads packed with them? is it hard for an unhandy(read retard) person to switch them? What are the default pads like?

The Master's come with Merino leather pads installed, and spare vegan pads. It's easy to swap the pads, and can be done within a few seconds without tools. Instructions are here. The default pads are nice, plush and soft but shallow. That's fine for some folks, others may want deeper pads.

As for why there's almost no reviews on Youtube, I don't think Ultrasone has done any online advertising in the last 10+ years. That's speculation, but they aren't a sponsor on this website nor have I ever seen an advertisement for them.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #193 of 459
PXL_20230205_012328823.jpg

First go with the Signature Pro in a while, still a damn fine headphone. Treble in the Master is better and the soundstage is wider but the old cans still 100% get the job done, and with aplomb.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #194 of 459
Hello everyone, like a lot of you guys i listen to electronic music, and TONS of it, all different types, as you guys probably know there is all types of sounds imaginable in different types of electronic music from synthetic sounds to beautiful instruments from all over the world, vocals, bass, its amazing and truly an artform how producers of this music can mix and match so many types of sounds together with electronic sounds to create very unique stuff. Exploring new music is one of my biggest passions!

I'm into home stereo equipment and headphones, always learning more and researching stuff. Nobody i know in real life is into the types of music i listen to and they surely haven't heard of headphone brands like Ultrasone as some of you guys mentioned it seems to be a not so well known brand in North America, and its sad because i agree with you guys they are simply amazing for electronic music, i discovered them with hours of research looking for headphones that are best for electronic music reading a ton of post in different forums/watching reviews.

Years ago i purchased a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900i's and i run them off a basic setup the Schiit Magni 3 - Modi 3 combo. Also have a Fiio E17k Alpen 2 for mobile setup.

I was just looking at Dremlin's thread about the dac/amp he uses and switching op amps. That's all new to me and another rabbit hole to go down haha.

Anyway enough info and background on me, i just wanted to say that i love how the ultrasone 900i's have that amazing bass without drowning out everything else, they still have some amazing highs and display lots of the sounds effects that electronic music is full of very well, maybe a slight bit recessed on the mids but they are still present and clear and detailed. And the S-Logic Plus magic, whatever that is lol i love it.

I'm curious if any of you guys have listened to the 900i's as much as i have, and now have also heard this new signature series, specifically the masters and pulse, and how they compare. Since the 900i's are the only Ultrasone's i have ever heard i have nothing to compare them too. I see some comparison's being made to the signature pro's, and some other series of Utrasone's but i haven't heard those.

Something i didn't see talked about too much is that the Pulse have 50mm drivers vs 40 and being a basshead that sounds amazing to me, but i listen to many types of electronic music, some is real hyped up and full of bass and synthetic sounds and very exciting, some is very chill and beautiful and relaxing full of instruments from all over the world and has different sounds and vibes of specific ethnic backgrounds mixed in with some bass and synthetic sounds as well. So i wouldn't want to lose the detail and resolution and spatial effects for massive bass, if thats what the 50mm drivers do in the pulse vs the masters. Also the new signature series is S-Logic 3 vs the S-Logic Plus in the headphones i have.

Any info on comparison of the pulse and master versus the 900i's i have had for so long and love, would be so helpful for me!

I'm so glad to have found these forums and this post full of amazing people who enjoy electronic music, and have also discovered the magic that Ultrasone brings to our ears!! Glad to meet everyone thanks for reading my probably long winded post haha!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #195 of 459
My music genres of choice, in order: Drum n Bass, Techno, Electro, House.

I have a pair of 900i and they're a completely different thing than the Signature models, imo. I think you'll find any Signature will be a compliment to your 900, even the Pulse - which I haven't heard, but I do have pair of Signature DJ, the predecessor of the Pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back