3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #151 of 459
Did you ever have a pair of the old Signature Pro, @Dramlin?

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #153 of 459
Like @Dramlin , I have owned a LOT of Ultrasones. I haven't heard one that is as perfect as this one. A lot of them are pretty scooped and V shape and with the master I see what was missing previously. It feels like they hit it on spot here - there isn't another closed back I have heard with the hobby that I can think I'd rather to exchange with this pair.

The bass is actually really good IMO. It does have a viseral sound to them. Combine with the excellent imaging and EDM can be a whole lot of fun. I think it is more of a balanced Ultrasone, however when you play EDM which is usually bass heavy - that balanced sound adjusts to it and makes for a very fun playback. Overly bassy isn't always ideal for EDM because the bass is usually pretty emphasized anyways. You just want it to be tight and impactful, and extended, while not clouding out the rest of the details underneath. I feel like again these walk a very lean line where they are enjoyable across a wide range of music. The mids have a lot of articulation and body which is a really welcome improvement from other models. The most lacking part I feel is like airiness up top. They have exceptional imaging and staging for a closed back but they do not catch the air frequencies up top like a Hifiman. And that's totally understandable and a common trade off with a sealed headphone. I think that is cause of the slight boxiness Dramlin mentioned.

And there is something special/unique about the sound too. I have a hard time nailing it too but I feel like we are in agreement with that aspect.

I agree with @AreTur too, this would not be a first pick - go to suggestion for reference/studio work. When I pickup my HE6SE V2 - that once sounds like a reference sound. This one has some very enjoyable color to it, and you can pickup on the Ultrasone house sound.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #154 of 459
Did you ever have a pair of the old Signature Pro

Yes, I got the Pro's after the DJ's as I wanted a more mid-centric headphone since that was lacking on the DJ's. In that aspect I got what I was looking for. The pro's were well balanced & I enjoyed both male and female vocals on them quite a bit. What I didn't like was the sound stage as it was smaller than I would have liked, the bass was decent quality but not enough quantity for me, sometimes the treble was a bit too sharp, and the overall sound had a metallic glare or sheen over everything. I used them a lot for TV/Movies since they were more suited to voices compared to the DJ's, but they were completely replaced in my lineup once I got the DXP.

The first time I got the Masters I immediately thought of upgraded Pro's as I heard that metallic sheen again, but it turned out to be the placement of my ears. After getting my ears in the right spot that sound went away. Master's don't have any of the shortcomings of the Pro's in my opinion, but my memory says they have a similar clear tone to them. I like the Master's a lot more compared to the Pro's.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #155 of 459
Yes, I got the Pro's after the DJ's as I wanted a more mid-centric headphone since that was lacking on the DJ's. In that aspect I got what I was looking for. The pro's were well balanced & I enjoyed both male and female vocals on them quite a bit. What I didn't like was the sound stage as it was smaller than I would have liked, the bass was decent quality but not enough quantity for me, sometimes the treble was a bit too sharp, and the overall sound had a metallic glare or sheen over everything. I used them a lot for TV/Movies since they were more suited to voices compared to the DJ's, but they were completely replaced in my lineup once I got the DXP.

The first time I got the Masters I immediately thought of upgraded Pro's as I heard that metallic sheen again, but it turned out to be the placement of my ears. After getting my ears in the right spot that sound went away. Master's don't have any of the shortcomings of the Pro's in my opinion, but my memory says they have a similar clear tone to them. I like the Master's a lot more compared to the Pro's.

I compared the Master directly with my Sig Pro and it was immediately noticeable that the midrange quality is at least two classes better than the predecessor. The midrange is now much more present and detailed and is placed completely freely in the room. But the spatial representation has also increased significantly and is immediately audible. With a good tube amplifier, the master develops a stage that I actually only know from my Grado GS1000i, which I find absolutely remarkable for closed headphones. I think that the degree of spatiality in the Master depends heavily on the quality of the amplifier used, so I can't generally confirm that the Master has deficits here, on the contrary, I find that very outstanding for closed headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #157 of 459
I'm SUPER curious about those, too, and in that same use case.

Jan 14, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #158 of 459
so I checked the silver cable included in the package and connected. Out of curiosity. Sound quality dropped drastically. I immediately returned to the dedicated cable, which is really great. Wow I did not expect such a difference and quality changes. Conclusion: do not start testing with silver cable :) do not even think about it.

Jan 14, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #159 of 459
so I checked the silver cable included in the package and connected. Out of curiosity. Sound quality dropped drastically. I immediately returned to the dedicated cable, which is really great. Wow I did not expect such a difference and quality changes. Conclusion: do not start testing with silver cable :) do not even think about it.
Isn’t that the one with a microphone? If so, maybe the TRRS connector gave you problems in a TRS socket or adapter…

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #161 of 459
yes, this one with micro...hm I will check again but difference was very noticeable against this cable for worse.
It’s not worth it I’d say… it may well be due to that TRRS/TRS problem, but if you don’t need the mic, just use the standard cable.

If you want to check you could try pulling the cable out 1/2mm or a bit more, sometimes this resolves this connection problem.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #162 of 459
Any word on your pad experiments, @Dramlin? :D

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #163 of 459
Hi,

Can I get information what is the max input power of Ultrasone Signature Master? Manufacturer has not published this information on website.
Only impedance (32 ohms).

I've had them for a few days. Signature Master sound amazing. However, I connected them to my DAP (my old Colorfly C10) and accidentally turned the volume up to max for 1-2 seconds. Now I'm worried if I might have caused some distortion or potential damage to the drivers in this headphones. Colorfly C10 was 60% charged (his output power: 80 or 85 mW for 32ohm. I don't know what the maximum voltage could go to the headphones :frowning2: The headphones seem to sound good, but I don't know them that well... and I'm wondering if there could be a slight damage (e.g. very slight sound distortion, cannot normally hear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back