3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #136 of 459
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on those pads, @Dramlin! Also, feel free to share your (or anyone's) technique on changing pads without breaking the plastic ring around the mesh screen on the inside of the pads :frowning2:

Pad testing is going well :) . I should be able to give some final recommendations in 1-2 weeks. I've tested 15 pads so far, and there's 3 left to try that I'm waiting on. At this point I've found a clear #1 and #2, but I'll hold off on any recommendations until I've got the last 3 tested since they really could end up being the best.

I've been listening to my Pulse for 2 days now and while they don't remind me too much of the Signature Pro i once i had, i love them nonetheless.

Good to hear you are enjoying them :) . The very first time I put on the Masters I immediately thought that they sounded like improved Pro's. Over time I've found that they are more than that, but just worth mentioning that if you enjoyed the Pro's then I think it's a good bet you'll like the Masters too.

Overall i have to say the Pulse is a very involving experience. I will keep mine as the pair of headphones i'll take everywhere without worrying breaking them. The pleather replacements aren't expensive so i'm not worried to wear it down in some years. A big bonus for me personally is that the case can take the headphones with the cables attached. Many other companies can't get this detail right for their carrying solution, my personal nitpick :)

Thank you very much for your opinions on the Pulse, they were great to read! Good to have more opinions here on them. The pressure is now off of me as the only person talking about them :sweat_smile:, and now hopefully people will be able to get a better idea of how they truly sound instead of just one persons opinions.

Mine should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll check them out, if they will sound as I imagine :) I'll keep them but if they disappoint me I'll return them and start looking again for new one, maybe for Audeze LCD2 Closed-Back or Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed.

If you don't end up liking the sound for any reason and want to try swapping pads before you return them, DM me and I'll let you know what I've found up to this point.

I was actually interested in the upcoming signature X collab up until I got these and put some time on them. These just sound so dialed in as far as tuning/signature, that I feel like those could only be a step down.

Sort of a downgrade, yes. Eventually I'll write up a comparison on the Masters vs Pulse but as @Blackrao mentioned earlier they are different beasts. When I get into the sweet spot with the Masters they have a lot of the same sound qualities as the Pulse--- they have the same overall sound type, a house sound you could say for the new Signature series. Yet at the same time they hit quite differently to the point that they feel like completely different headphones. I'm still getting accustomed to the Masters but at this point I would say that if you take the Masters sound, pull in the stage depth a bit, change the overall tone to be darker, lean the mids a little, then increase the bass quantity to be everywhere around you-- that is the Pulse. By having the tone be darker some details are obscured. By pushing the bass up into slightly blooming territory some more details are lost where the bass takes over. By having a non-neutral tone certain aspects (like the bass) become more in focus causing perceived detail loss in other areas. With the stage pulled in a little there's more engagement at the cost of some spatial details. So the Pulse ends up sounding like a downgrade since it doesn't retain the same detail and balance. On the flip side the Pulses hit harder, have a bit more engagement since the sound placement is closer, and truly retain a lot of the DNA of the Masters in the process. A downgrade, yes. But also sounding like a differently tuned Master that is going for bass quantity.

Anyways, the Pulses are fun with Electronic music, and still my #1 for Electronic due to their fun factor. The Masters can do everything well, and can go toe to toe with other high end headphones that require full amping to sound their best, including open headphones. If Drop ever realeases the X we'll see where those land. I'm looking forward to the X, but I do worry just a little about them being tuned brighter. Not for harsh treble reasons, but the Pulse is quite satisfying with it's darker tuning as-is, so I'm not sure what brightening it up will do to the enjoyment factor. 24 days until the new release date now....

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #137 of 459
You must appreciate a whole lot of bass emphasis - I feel like when listening to EDM stuff for the masters - I am getting enough bass output. I don't listen to them and want more bass. It is actually surprising that you say the pulses have a lot more - they would deff be considered bass head level cans if that's the case.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #139 of 459
Glad to see everyone getting on well with their Ultrasones in here! I'm currently waiting on Thomann get the Pulses back in stock to pick up a pair
I am also waiting it, but it might not happens. I asked Thomann: "I have just noticed that Ultrasone Signature Pulse is no longer available - could you please clarify is it temporary or Ultrasone Signature Pulse will be no longer available?"

And got reply from Thomann: "Unfortunately this item is no longer available."

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #140 of 459
You must appreciate a whole lot of bass emphasis - I feel like when listening to EDM stuff for the masters - I am getting enough bass output. I don't listen to them and want more bass. It is actually surprising that you say the pulses have a lot more - they would deff be considered bass head level cans if that's the case.
honestly the pulse is like listening to a bose 700 level of bass but like way cleaner lol. it’s definitely nowhere close to flat like masters are

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #141 of 459
I am also waiting it, but it might not happens. I asked Thomann: "I have just noticed that Ultrasone Signature Pulse is no longer available - could you please clarify is it temporary or Ultrasone Signature Pulse will be no longer available?"

And got reply from Thomann: "Unfortunately this item is no longer available."
I've seen them go in and out of stock so many times, lol. I think patience will work well for us.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #143 of 459
They finally arrived :)
The packaging and the headphones themselves made a very good impression on me. I definitely like dj/studio headphones more than audiophile ones. I don't have to have wooden or metal elements to enjoy the headphones. Another important thing - they are comfortable. I heard that they crush the ears, pinch them, crush the skull :) and etc - but nothing like that happend, they are really comfortable. Perhaps the anatomy of my head and ears is so suitable for these headphones that I do not feel any discomfort. The pads are comfortable, nothing presses, the headband is ok. They're a little tight on the head but I don't mind. My ears go completely inside. It's very good here.
I don't like this goldie plastic....
IMG_1879.png

- Sound
wow, they are ****ing awesome...
IMG_1889.png

IMG_1891.png
IMG_1894.png

I started with Joe Zawinul "Cafe Andalusia". Gosh, it plays just the way it should. Everything is in the right place, bass, mids and highs. Nothing offends, the treble is delicate and the bass can go down :) but it does not bend in sound. Then Royksopp "Church" played - here you go :). I have the impression that there are no limits for these headphones. The dynamics and space are excellent. Perhaps as they burn out they will become even better. "Nightrider" Tom Misch and Yussef Dayes - great feeling. "Afro Blue" by Robert Glasper, delicate sound of hi hats, you can hear every element of the song. Finally, Bozzio, Donati, and Feraud: The Ultimate Drums and Bass Power Trio - watching their performance, you can clearly hear the arrangement of the instruments in the headphones, musically excellent, the headphones reflect every detail. What I miss is a slight brightening of the treble, although the longer I listen, I don't know. Maybe it's as it should be? However, it depends on the recording. Some are made in such a way that they are slightly smoky, other performs are bright and shiny. And that's what you hear on headphones. Similarly with the bass, where there is dynamics and speed, you can hear this feature, in another version you can feel the meat and the extension of the bass. You can hear it well in Boris Blank "Electrified". Cool. That's :) my first impressions after receiving the headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #144 of 459
Great first impressions - welcome to the club - It's my favorite closed back headphone! I think they will only continue to grow on you as you listen more and more. They have a unique sound, exceptional dynamics, they are very resolving and very fun to listen to as well. Also they are easy to drive. I also do like the pads now, they seal REALLY well and the material is nice. They are some of the best sealing headphones I've owned.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #145 of 459
They are some of the best sealing headphones I've owned
Yes, I have a similar feeling, they are so close to the cheek that they lie well but don't press too hard that would be uncomfortable.
What an awesome scene, I'm looking back for every piece of sound cause I think there's an instrument there :) funny

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #146 of 459
Still got them and I like even more and more, but since I got - they don't leave my head. I didn't think they would give me so much fun. I had not considered buying Ultrasone. And here's a surprise.. however, I have doubts if these headphones are really dedicated for studio work :) I dread to think how much bass there must be in Pulse model. Frankly, the bass is awesome...

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #147 of 459
Still got them and I like even more and more, but since I got - they don't leave my head. I didn't think they would give me so much fun. I had not considered buying Ultrasone. And here's a surprise.. however, I have doubts if these headphones are really dedicated for studio work :) I dread to think how much bass there must be in Pulse model. Frankly, the bass is awesome...
I'm in that same camp with you! I find there is plenty of bass on offer with these and it goes very deep and potent.

They are difficult to stop listening to - unique and pleasing sound! Superb headphone. Enjoy!

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #148 of 459
I need some help... Reading all the impressions about the Signature Master i'm currently thinking about sending the Pulse back to the Dealer and getting the Master instead... Keeping both won't be a sane proposition since i only need 1 closed headphone. Decisions decisions .... :D

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #149 of 459
I need some help... Reading all the impressions about the Signature Master i'm currently thinking about sending the Pulse back to the Dealer and getting the Master instead... Keeping both won't be a sane proposition since i only need 1 closed headphone. Decisions decisions ....
As I mentioned earlier, for me the Signature Master has a lot of bass. I didn't expect that from headphones designed as the ultimate monitoring reference for recording studios with the highest demands :). In one of the reviews, they were described by the sound engineer as (from German :)
"The bass range is there, but without wanting to show off too much. Even with fast attacks, the Ultrasone headphones behave appropriately and quickly transmit signals to the ear. I particularly like the midrange, as the headphones here are exceptionally clean and tidy, which can also be a distinct advantage for recording sessions. Even if the mix is fuller in terms of frequency, the Signature Master gives a good overview and separates the components of the mix well. Basically, I would certify the Signature Master's ability to serve as a (comparison) monitor for mixing and mastering, in addition to its use in recording sessions. Therefore, the Signature Master should be considered a very good, versatile headphone. With the Signature Master, this leads to a first-class sound that is very balanced, dynamic and highly detailed."
For me, they are really great, the bass is addictive and as a whole, the headphones perform very well. They should work in each genre, but not in all types. In jazz, jazz-rock, acoustic, hip-hop, electronic I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied. These headphones are not overbassed. I like that they reproduce the sound of the music maybe in their own way but I like it. The point is that there are warmer songs and then the headphones shows this atmosphere, if it is brighter, they sound brighter. That's my opinion. I don't play with any charts, brand etc., I'm interested in whether I like the headphones I use or not, and these one I like :).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #150 of 459
Reading all the impressions about the Signature Master i'm currently thinking about sending the Pulse back to the Dealer and getting the Master instead...

What are you looking for? If just Electronic music then you've got a hard choice since the Pulse excels there. If you want more music types, TV, games, general listening, etc.. Then the Masters are far more balanced at everything and would be my clear recommendation. The Master's do electronic music justice as well as previously mentioned by others. The bass is much cleaner compared to the Pulse. I still need to do some proper comparisons to figure out the exact quantity difference, but it's close. The Pulse is just more bass emphasized, in that your attention is always drawn to the bass. With the Masters the attention is on the details and overall balance.

The Masters are very good, The only comments I've made on the Masters up to this point were some minor negatives (comfort, stage is barely boxed in) just to point out that those negatives can be fixed with a pad swap if they are too much of a negative for any one person. I'm firmly in the camp that these are very good headphones, and definite keepers. I'm still working on testing pads and comparing to the editions, a cold set me back a week+, but I can say that the Master's do something special I haven't found on any other headphone at this point. I'm still trying to figure out how to put that into words, but there's more of an emotional attachment to the music that I haven't gotten in other headphones outside of some of the early Grados.

Anyways, choices choices choices...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back