3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Dec 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #91 of 459
As I continue to dream about the Master's I've got one question on them. My Signature Pro's have always had a metallic sheen to their sound, where every sound has a metallic sharpness to it. It's hard to describe, but it's a sharp edge that isn't present on any other headphone I've tried. For those that have the Master's, do they still have that metallic sharpness since the driver is (maybe) the same as the old pro's?

It's also possible no one has any idea what I'm talking about. The issue I just described could just have been specific to my Sig Pro's. I've heard that there was a some sound variation between each Sig Pro.
I know very well what you're talking about... and I always disliked that light tendency to glare in the upper midrange of the Sig Pro. The Sig DJ did not have this trait, and I much preferred it overall (also due to its more prominent bass I'll readily admit).
I also tend to think this has something to do with the metal covering of the driver membranes (incidentally the Sig DJ did not have such a metal layer). If the new Signature models all share this... hm.

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #92 of 459
That rich treble does quieten down, and I can only assume they build them knowing the ‘eventual’ sound. (with regards to the ‘metal’ drivers/driver coating..)

We can argue that burn-in/break-in isn ‘t a thing.. but I can go months without using the Edition 5 and its sound doesn’t slip back to ‘out of box’ averageness..
Once the break in was done, it was DONE.

Oddly for all those who wonder about such notions (crazy huh? yet many manufacturers acknowledge this regarding their own products - of which we assume they are the authority!); this was one of the few headphones I have owned that GOT WORSE (briefly) during the break in process.

My usual method of setup in a room no one is using (or in a drawer in a study etc) and let the headphones play 24/7 until the task is done, every other day listening for 30 seconds to specific passages regarding sound field (size) and bass note texture etc… usually within the second week a listener hits a point where they pick them up and they just sound the same as every day before hand… (done).
Leading up this this ‘extinction point’ (in the observable/overt changes), will be a day or so where the change from the previous test/‘sample listen’ is ‘more subtle’ than the time before had altered from the check prior to that… basically we can see the amount of change tapering off; and this means ‘close to done’.

As my last post re: Ultrasound metal drivers mentioned, the 1200 hour mark was where things started to ‘slow’ /settle.

But truly - had never owned a headphone I found UNLISTENABLE, as the Edition 5 were, between hours 300-800 thereabouts…
beyond 1500 hours = best headphone I own bar none.
the detail retrieval meant I passed on Senn HD800s etc…

The Edition 5, for me, was the idea of ‘one headphone to rule them all
It was sensitive (powered from a playstation controller amplifier), had soundstage (width and depth) impressive for a closed back, had a great ‘stage’ for gaming (equal front-back as there was width, ie a perfect circle?!), it had detail that scales with better kit, and looked like I would be able to use it in ‘all situations’ and with most any genre I could care to throw at it.

The shielding technology was what put Ultrasone on my radar in the early 2000s, and the S-Logic function works wonders… (yes you can listen to music much louder without fatigue, and resolve more detail).
Having played with some S-Logic Ultrasones on a ‘nice’ crossfeed capable amplifier; it just takes things to the next level too…

I would not get rid of a Ultrasone headphone from my collection..
Too many reasons to keep them.

Exception : Playstation 5 jams the Radio frequency up the headphone cable and the feeling is akin to showing ones head (briefly) in a microwave.
Without mentioning this fact, I have enjoyed watching multiple friends and family members rip the headphones OFF within two minutes of them playing a game.
They are disorientated and ‘uncomfortable’; and wondering ‘what the hey just happened’; I take this as a fault with the Playstation 5 wireless to/fro the controller- it is the only gfaming controller I cannot rest in my lap, and ‘a few minutes of it resting in my lap/on legs’ has me shuffle my arms to move the controller 1ft to my left or right whilst gaming. This sensation totally disappears when using the PS5 controller in USB mode (with the wireless disengaged). Then I can game for hours no issue and no discomfort.

This is akin to an issue in the late nineties that many discovered their mobile phones ‘handsfree’ earbud, cabled to the phone, was doubling as an antenna (result being lots of cooked ear cavities.. ‘aka ‘discomfort’ ‘) when on phone calls in poor reception areas.

Ultrasone caging the magnetic field away from the human head is the reason they are the most welcomed ‘serious contender’ for ALL DAY SOUND from any of the headphones on the market.
After lots of failed attempts at finding planar headphones that didn’t instantly put me to sleep (literally), I moved to the Edition 5 and ever since that first listen - I realised that the Ultrasone mu shielding lead to a fatigue free listen and thusly and enjoyment I didn’t even know I would get (or was missing out on)

After learning this fact I took to task with my local headfi store (why are you no longer stocking Ultrasone?)
and have considered several times emailing their company to ask/plead to allow me to be their advocate (ie send me review sample??)

I feel enough in the audio community have zero understanding of WHY Ultrasone were commissioned by ‘a range of industries that used headphones for long sessions’ with regards to ‘headphone health’.
Ultrasones’ marketing of this feature might sound like ‘ad copy’, but it evolved due to much science and an actual need.
Whilst I find it ironic that a PS5 and an Ultrasone headphone (connected to the wireless controller) is arguably a ‘health fail’ (no evidence here provided that is scientific, so ‘unprovable claim’ no doubt!!), for EVERY OTHER MOMENT of LIFE- they are my ‘go to’ headphones.

The 70mm ‘large driver’ Sony MDR-z7 I use are gen one with the ‘small magnetic field’, and I don’t really dig that the version 2 went with ‘more magnet’.
But more magnets done cheaply (ie not achieving ‘tesla’ power due to expensive caging and FINE magnetic field control like Beyer do..) is the way the market is going.
No watchdogs, no regulations, no private enterprise seeking science to denouce existing market products..
I wouldn’t buy a friend a planar headphone (again, their market has move away from expensive grills and magnet control to ‘more power’, and like all markets, is doing so with zero interest in end user health.
Whilst I DO have a tertiary science ‘health’ background (studied medicine at Uni)(incomplete!!), my understandings on these topics come from exhaustive readings on many military and private studies into health effects on a ‘range of things’.
For here- no evidence provided, I will leave as ‘whimsy’; why were Ultrasone commisioned, in the 1990s, to seek solutions to ‘long term health effects’ of wearing headphones for large amount of time. (there may be something to that..

Whilst every post on head fi I have made mentioning my experience with planars has been removed- on an Ultrasone thread such talk is ‘at home’, yes.

(nobody needs insult me or my psuedo science; lets just say I am silly and the shielding that Ultrasone employ is a ‘happy feelings generator’. (self powered even)

L&C

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #93 of 459
Lovely to find someone else who species appreciates the Edition 5's as much as I do :) . I use the 5's daily for music. They are something else, and are my main reason for setting my sights on the Edition 15's. By all accounts I've read the 15's are the successors to the 5's, and that is really saying something with how detailed the 5's are in all areas. While trying to conjure up money for the 15's I got sidetracked here, hearing that the Masters are up to edition levels of detail. Now I've got 2 headphones to dream about and work towards eventually. This hobby is too expensive....

I also couldn't agree more on the MU shielding and S-Logic, both offering some health protection over other headphones. I've tried to use non-Ultrasone headphones for work and gaming but I find my ears always get tired and irritated by the sound after an hour or two. They never tire with Ultrasones though, which I eventuality chalked up to the S-Logic lowering the SPL a bit. The MU shielding is the cherry on top. Great sounding headphones trying to simulate natural sound, reduced spl to reduce the risk of long term hearing loss, AND a reduction in radiation near my head compared to other heaphones? Brilliant.

And so, I'm locked in to continue trying new Ultrasones. Next up is the Sig X. I'll do some comparisons once those arrive. Eventually, hopefully, I'll try the Masters and 15's. Thanks to everyone who has commented on the new Sig line up to this point. It's very helpful to hear the different opinions to guage how the headphones will sound before committing to buying them.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #94 of 459
The other great thing about Ultrasones (that is not always brought up) is how easy going they are with powering. In that respect, they can also make for very good portable headphones, too. I've always been impressed by how Ultrasones perform plugged straight into my devices.

I don't know if I'm crazy or what but it seems to be my preferred way to listen to them anyways at this point where other headphones I have improve more significantly when plugged into something more powerful.

It is a great thing to have the option for sound like this without need for a lot of ancillary equipment, if you don't want to use it.

Yet another advantage with using them.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #95 of 459
I have often heard, that people with larger ears have problems with the comfort of the ear pads. Also the contact pressure of the ear pads can also make Ultrasone feel uncomfortable. However, this can be counteracted by carefully bending the headphones' earpiece outwards serveral times, or inwards if the contact pressure is too low, so that the earpieces retain their shape.
I just realized that Ultrasone includes a pair of vegan pads in the box for the masters - along with the Merino leather pads that come on them.

I put the vegan pads on and they are a bit harder in the foam than the marino pads, elevating them a little more off the ear which seems to be that exact bit better for my ears.

I didn't realize the other pair of pads in the box was a different type - however the merino pads are better comfort and a better sound.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #96 of 459
The other great thing about Ultrasones (that is not always brought up) is how easy going they are with powering. In that respect, they can also make for very good portable headphones, too. I've always been impressed by how Ultrasones perform plugged straight into my devices.

Agreed, that's actually how I'm primarily using the Pulse now. Straight out of a simple DAP they are more enjoyable than most of my headphones, as most require proper amping to sound their best. The Pulse is now in my rotation as my primary portable, as well as my primary electronic regardless of the source.

Sound wise, I don't have much issues. It has this unique and pleasantly diffused sound which I have yet to experience on other HPs. And that is the only reason why I still have these.

Have you had any more time with the Masters? If so, any other sound impressions or thoughts? I've been looking around at all the other headphones out there, extensively reading on the Neumann NDH30, Focal Elegia & Stella, etc.. Your name and experience keeps popping up. Given your knowledge of what is our there I'm curious as to if you have any other opinions on the sound of the Masters? Last you mentioned the comfort and looks of the Masters weren't for you, but the sound diffusion seemed to offer something interesting. Good or bad, all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #97 of 459
The leather and the earpads on the signature master is much softer than the other signature models, so they dig even further into your ear. For a HP advertised for studio use, I don't see too many people wearing these comfortably over an extended sesion. I have to constantly adjust the pads. And the headband cusion is on the stiff side too.

You might also see improvement when you switch to the other pair of pads included in the box, which are the vegan leathers. The foam on those is harder and it pushes the drivers just that little extra bit away from the ear.

Edit - Actually, I prefer the sound here better with the Merino pads so switched them back but it's neat to have another alternative.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #98 of 459
Pulse out of those three. Previously in the thread I mentioned that 8 EX were my favorite for electronic music. It somewhat pains me to say it since I do like the 8's, but the Pulse is better.

Pulse vs DJ: Pulse has a larger sound stage, is clearer, better quality bass, more detail, sparkly highs, no recessed mids. It's better all around. I've had the DJ's for years, and I really liked them when they came out.

--Edit, one thing I missed is comfort. The DJ's use soft leather pads that are more comfortable than what is used on the DXP or Pulse. The new vegan plush pads on the Pulse work fine, but from a comfort perspective the DJ's are still better. Sound wise, the Pulse is better in all areas.

Pulse vs Ed 8 EX: 8 EX has a slightly larger/more spacious sound stage. 8 EX is quite a bit leaner and sharper sounding. Much more bass on the Pulse. With the pulse you can put the headphones on and they sound great. With the 8 EX you have to fidget a lot to get the exact spot where the S-Logic EX works as intended (it's really picky).

Pulse is now my top pick for for electronic, but I haven't tried the Natural or Masters yet. The Signature X is also going to be released in 2 weeks and supposedly has a brighter tuning compared to the Pulse, so it has the potential to be even better for electronic. No way of knowing that for a few weeks though.

From your post, I realized that the music sounds more fun in Pulse and the basses swing better than in signature dj. It is very good.

Dec 26, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #99 of 459
This is going to be a long post, but I've got a correction to make. I've been doing a lot of further testing lately between the Pulse and other headphones. Previously I said that the Pulses were a straight upgrade from the older Signature DJ's. That's not accurate, my preference for the Pulse clouded my initial comparisons with the DJ so I'm looking to correct that here by giving more info between them. First off, lets talk about what the Pulse sounds like in general, not compared to any other headphones..

Signature Pulse:
The overall tone/timbre of the Pulse is darker than neutral. You might think that a darker than neutral headphone isn't ideal for electronic music, however the Pulse does some interesting things that makes it work very well. With the S-Logic 3 there are double deflector fins (DDF). Ultrasone says that this isolates and separates the low frequencies from the rest of the sound, and hearing the Pulse I agree that they work to do just that. Darker than neutral headphones typically sound is a bit muffled, and sounds can blend together. With the S-logic 3 on the pulse you get a thick dark sound around you all the time, but the bass, treble, and mids come off clearer than you would expect. Since the low frequencies are separated from the rest of the sound this ends up giving more space in the sound stage, and you get more defined sound placement and stage depth. The darker tone also gives way to having a great contrast between the treble which increases engagement.

Talking about the individual sound qualities, let's start with the bass. The bass is everywhere all at once, yet doesn't overstep to muffle other parts of the sound. That lovely S-Logic 3 does it's magic here. Since the bass is somehow separated it comes across cleaner than the old Signature series, and also hits with more quantity. The quality of bass doesn't match that of high end Planars. Don't expect absolute control, as there is still bass bloom here. It doesn't come across as boomy or overdone in any way though. I've had other headphones where the bass dominated the mids, booming over everything in a really bad way (looking at you OG Meze 99 classics...). The Pulse doesn't do that, the bass stays separated from the rest of the sound while being omni present and scaling when called. Most importantly, it's enjoyable. The bass is done right and gives that dopamine release that bass heads are looking for.

Mids, they are here but not the emphasis. Most bass heavy headphones scoop out the mids to gain more contrast (your typical V or U shape), but not here. The mids are there so you don't sense that something is missing from the sound. Don't expect Sinatra to sound his best. The mids are just serviceable to the point that I don't feel like something is missing.

The treble is best described as "sparkly", never bright or sibilant. For anyone who has/had a Signature DXP, it's similar if not the same. The treble against the darker backdrop gives contrast with each treble hit, giving a vivid effect that emphasizes the treble tones without having them come across as bright. Or in other words, it's fun and engaging, not boring.

Sound stage isn't super wide, but there is surprisingly good depth and clear instrument placement. The S-Logic 3 does wonders here compared to the older Signature series. There's a greater sense of depth compared to before with more space for instruments to be placed. The older signature series already had a good sound stage for a closed back, and now it's even better.

Detail: Similar to the older Signature series, doing some things better when compared to individual headphones in the old series. It's hard to describe detail without comparing directly to other headphones. Overall I'd say it's good enough, and surprises me in a good way sometimes. I don't find myself thinking that there needs to be more detail, even if it's not going to have the detail level of the kilobuck headphones and more detail would always be appreciated.

Overall the Pulse works very well for Electronic music. Vivid effects from the treble against a dark backdrop give the sound a lot of engagement, hard hitting bass comes across as a contrast to the treble, good placement around the stage from the S-Logic 3 furthers the detail and enjoyment, and there isn't a feeling that anything is missing in the mix. I keep referencing Electronic music as the Pulses do them best, but they also work as a good all rounder as well.

All that said let's talk more about the Signature DJ's and how they compare to the pulse...

DJ vs Pulse

- Treble: DJ's has a rolled treble which is great in the sense that nothing is going to be overly bright. However this lends to less engagement in the sound which is more boring than I'd like :/. The Pulse does treble better IMO, taking it's treble largely from the DXP which adds emphasis without being overdone.

- Mids: The DJ's scoop out their mids, enough that I constantly notice that something is missing in the music. The Pulse doesn't give me that same feeling, so again my preference here is the Pulse.

- Bass: Bass is similar, but more mid emphasized on the Pulse. The DJ scoops out the mids to achieve clearer bass that doesn't overstep, and has clearer sub bass. The Pulse is able to achieve mostly the same overall bass effects without having to take out the mids. With the overall clarity of the DJ I could see some still liking the DJ's bass over the pulse, but I prefer the Pulses here.

- Overall Tone: The DJ is clearer in timbre/tone whereas the Pulse is darker. My preference here is the DJ, but I think it does so by largely taking out the mids. With TV or Games the DJ's tone sounds more natural. With music, the Pulse sounds more enjoyable to me.

- Sound stage: DJ is wider. The Pulse is deeper going forward, but the DJ has a bit more stage behind. Due to the S-Logic 3 the Pulse ends up with better instrument placement forward and to the side. By comparison the DJ sounds a bit flatter. Overall the DJ sounds more enjoyable with the stage, even if the Pulse does some aspects of it better.

- Detail: This one is harder. The DJ has a more detail extraction on each note, but only for sounds that don't rely on the mids as much. So it's a little give and take. I'd say this is roughly a tie as they both do things a bit differently. Some sounds are better on the DJ, some on the Pulse.

- Comfort: The DJ has plush leather pads that are softer on the head and more comfortable. However, the DJ's pads are also thinner so my ears rest right on the driver. The Pulses pads are tougher and thicker, so while not as plush at least my ears aren't being squished by the driver. The pulse is better for longer listening sessions, but at the same time it feels a lot cheaper/hollow/plasticy compared to the DJ's.

Final Thoughts:

Going back and forth I realize now that I still like the DJ's a lot. They really are great in their detail and overall tone. I'm reminded now that the only reason I stopped using them was largely due to the scooped out mids and slightly boring sound (due to the lack of treble, and somewhat flat placement in the sound stage). Compared to the Pulse the DJ's look better (just an opinion, those glass side inserts are still awesome), feel higher end, and their sound can be preferred in some ways. Overall I do prefer the Pulse for Electronic music though as the Pulses are simply more fun with their sound. YMMV.

Lastly, the Signature X's will be released tomorrow and they are based off of the Pulse. Drop says they are tuned brighter than the Pulses, so they may be changing the overall tone from Dark to closer to Neutral. Not sure if that will be good or bad, but it's certainly going to be interesting in hearing how that will affect the overall enjoyment of the Pulse/X. I can post some comparisons and impressions once the new toy syndrome wears off in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #100 of 459
NICE ONE. Thanks a ton for this post @Dramlin! I'll be picking up a pair of Ultrasones soon, but I sincerely don't know if it'll be a pair of Pulse, the Drop joints, or DJs (whenever Thomann stocks them again, which seems to be often).

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #101 of 459
98116909-DBFE-4CCA-996F-F19607843A27.jpeg

I listened to the master, natural, and pulse in Japan portable audio fest. The natural and master sounded very similar to the point where i questioned why spend more money on master when natural sounds so close. It has a very neutral sound with flat bass. The pulse was a different animal with much more bass obviously catered for the bass crowd / dj and i found it much more fun sounding and liked it so much i ordered the drop signature X since it’s based on a retuned version of the pulse for $250 versus the japanese price was like 80000 yen for pulse (about $600)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #102 of 459
Found more sound impressions of the Masters in the closed back thread here. Another positive for the overall sound, just not comfort or materials.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #103 of 459
I can agree strongly with what he wrote about the master. For comfort, I think they did alright here, the headband is nice with a lot of padding. The stock ear pads with the Master are actually great quality but yes, they should be deeper for better comfort. They do seal REALLY well though and are among the best I've had for that (might be the trade off they made with the shallower depth) - the clamp combined with the pads gives a very secure and form fitting seal which is nice with a closed back. The other pair of pads included are the cheap vegan pads which heat up quickly and are not a good pad. Those are like the ones they use in other models like the sig studio.

I think they should have included spare leathers instead.

On sound?

Quite accurate - that is actually a very good description of their sound. I find it hard to nail but these are unique sounding - even from Ultrasone. They do have a lot of impact and do really great on electronic music. But the midrange performance is also really strong, too. Dynamics are very good with this model and because of the slightly more chilled out treble, you can crank them a couple more notches louder and really get that very impressive dynamic performance which I have always loved from this brand. The bass is very fun. They are very immersive/involving and easy to get lost into the music with the way they present the soundstage. He is right about their almost contradictory sound qualities - both sharpness and smoothness. Both relaxing and engaging. These kind of do a very odd thing in being hard to classify/pinpoint which his review reflects.

I don't think they are flat sounding at all, there is deff coloration here. But there is a lot of nuance to their sound as well.

Hard to nail them, but his description was quite good.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #104 of 459
I'll update in this thread, but yesterday (Dec 27) I ordered a pair of these:

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/fix90/

and got a tracking number today. They shipped for free via FedEx, using a service level called "IPED". Looking forward to them touching down!

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #105 of 459
Erm... these were delivered today at 8.55am, lol. These folks' shipping game is NICE. They made it from Tokyo to Nashville, Tennessee in two days. For free! Looking forward to checking them when I get home this afternoon :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back