3 IEMs, My Opinions, Need Yours
Mar 7, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm pretty new to this whole thing so forgive e if I use layman's terminology. In the past 2 years I have bought 3 IEMs and I wanted to give you my opinion on them so that I could get yours. There are just SO many reviews out there and believe me, I have read a LOT of them. I respect this forum and wanted to know what you thought about MY impressions of these phones. Why? Because every review is tailored according to the person who is listening to the phones and oftentimes biased. People pick TEAMS and then seem to defend their teams to no end. This doesn't help. ANWYAY, here are the contenders: Shure E4, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, Westone UM2 (listed in order of purchase date). Ratings on a scale of 1(worst) to 5 (best). I use a Creative Zen Vision:M with bitrates no lower than 192.

My impressions:

Shure E4- These were my first upscale headphones. When I first got them I was simply amazed by what I heard. Songs that I had been listening to since I was a kid sounded new to me. There were little background songs that I was hearing for the first time and I couldn't believe that I had missed sounds. Still, the only complaint that I had was that the bass wasn't as great as I would have liked. and I am NOT a basshead by any stretch of the imagination. I've read a lot about getting the right fit. As far as I could tell I had the right fit. I fiddled with all of the different sleeves ad nauseum until I got what I thought was the perfect fit (use the yellow foam tips). Still, I knew the bass was lacking even though the highs and mids were exquisite. I pretty much felt that for classical music and/or jazz these were phenimenal headphones but for rock (my primary genre) it just wasn't doing the job.I love the heavy durability of the cord although the fact that you hear when the cord brushes up against something can get annoying. I also love the cord length. It's long! But I just wrap it. No biggie. Better than short cord. Quite expensive for the lack of bass, in my opinion.

Comfort: 4
Durability: 5
Highs: 5
Mids: 4
Lows: 2

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro- Out of the box I was really impressed. Never have I heard a drummer's cymbals so clearly. It was like the cymbal was being played right in front of me. I was ecstatic. My music now had an oomph that had been lacking from the Shure's. The oomph, however, was actually a little too much for me and I found myself fiddling with my equalizer quite a bit to get the right sound. The instruments, however, sounded dynamic! What worried me was "Is this the way the band intended them to sound?". I have read that a true audiophile strives for balance in their headphones. These phones seemed like they had just spent some time using steroids. The way I look at them is sort of like fast food. For that quick fix these phones are great. They're fun. They're loud. They really let you hear things and pack a punch. In the long run, however, they do not present a smooth well-balanced sound. The dual driver technology is phenomenal. I love that the highs and lows have their own driver. You can truly hear it in the music. The mids, I found, were a little understated. It's almost as if there wasn't any room for them. I do, however, prefer these to the Shure's- at least when listening to rock music (like The Who, The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, etc). I will say that these happen to fit my ears great even though, yes, if worn as suggested they ARE like sticking baby carrots in your ears. I wear them modified now so that I do not look as much like Frankenstein. I get a great seal from them and they are very light as to not really be noticed while wearing. I wish the cord were just a tad longer. A great deal financially for 2 drivers.

Durability: 3 (the plug is separating from the plastic/rubber that holds it. It's not even a month old) It also seems like the phones could crack REALLy easily.
Highs: 4
Mids: 3
Lows: 5

Westone UM2- Once again, while the Super.fi jumped out at me right out of the box, the UM2 didn't. This disappointed me at first. The super.fi is like that person in the room who talks the loudest and is impossible to ignore. I was determined to give the UM2s a chance, though, especially since the UM2 has gotten such rave reviews on here and from EarphoneSolutions. So, that's what I did. The first thing that i DID notice was balance- ahhhhh. The bass was there. The treble was there. The highs, mids and lows were all present and I was pleasantly surprised. No adjusting my equalizer. Then, after a week or so of burn-in (something I'm still trying to figure out if it's a real thing or not) they got better. Either they got better, my ears adjusted to them or both. I don't know. These are by far the most comfortable IEMs that I have ever worn. They slip right in, are not noticeable, you don't notice that you're wearing them, etc. Very nice design. I don't happen to love the cord. It's too short and it seems like if I were to snag it on something that I would be screwed. Shure's cord is ideal for me. I do like, however, how light it is- which is a contradiction to what I just said but I'm pointing out the positives. I like that they drape over your ears and down your back without noticing them being there. But like I said, I'm always worried of them getting caught and being ripped from the monitors. The positives are balance and comfort. The negatives are the price tag and the cord.

comfort: 5
durability: 4
Mids: 5
Lows: 4

Summing up- I wear the UM2s the most. I find the balance is what I appreciate the most in my IEM. I want to be able to hear everything. I do not want one thing overpowering the others (UE- bass, Shure- treble). The UM2s are comfortable, sound great and are versatile for my listening arenas (home, subway, bus, etc). But I would like to get all of YOUR impressions of what you think- not necessarily of my review but of these IEMs. Comparisons would be nice not just your typical TEAM ETYMOTIC responses. Yes, i know, i know, I need to try the ETYs. I will. I have to let my wallet replenish, though, so give me some time.

what do you all think? Which is the best of these? which is the worst? What are your experiences with them?

Thanks so much. This is a great site, an expensive hobby (ugh), and an addiction that I may have to seek help for eventually. Now let the newbie have it.

-T

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 10
some how my opinion is same as yours. but um2 treble is not that great in my case with universal ear sleeves. i have chances to hear er4 and find the bass not quite like E4 although it on the light side. but the extension at both ends is nothing i have found on a IEMs. it sweet sound to me. good for bed time music imo. you may like to try E500. the mid is very lush, treble is much better than um2 and bass have more extension but in less quantity

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Hello fellow newbie...lol. I am really surprised that you found the Shure E4s lacking in bass. I have not heard them but I have the E5c and the E500s and thought that they have a real bass presence/punch. I had never really heard of anything from Shure with a lack in the bass department...more to the fact that they were maybe a bit heavy in this area. I use them mainly for my portable set up now but will be interested to see what the other IEM fanboys have to say. Now that I look at it this probably is of no help to you as I have not had experience with the array that you are looking at. Seems that the Shures were down on your list but the E5c or the E500s might be to your liking. I don't want to insult your intelligence with the correct earpiece fit as it sounds as if you have spent alot of time with the IEMs but if it is incorrect the bass really is going to drop off. They have the new Westone 3s coming out here soon so that might be another option as well.

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the responses! actually I haven't returned any of the IEMs. I find that changing them up gives me some variety in my listening experience. I actually find it odd that the headphones and not the music actually gives me variety these days. I just find it so weird that what you listen WITH is such an x-factor in what you're listening TO. Who woulda thunk it?!?

For example, I was listening to "Who's Next" today and I decided that I wanted a little extra punch to it, so I changed from the UM2s to the Super.fi's. I got it. If I'm listening to some precise guitar work like Joe Satriani and I really want a nice even balance I'll listen to the UM2s. If I'm listening to more acoustic guitar stuff like, say, a John McLoughlin album I'll throw on the Shures. Ideally, I guess I wish I didn't have to switch. I probably shouldn't. I guess you could just call it experimentation. It's not like I change headphones a lot. It's just smething that I've been doing lately.

It seems like too many people have probably weighed in on this IEM debate before and have grown tired of it. I was actually expecting to be flooded with responses but I really do appreciate the ones that I've gotten so far.

Just to clarify- there is a big difference between the Shure E4s and the E5c or the E500s. I have heard good things in terms of base with these two models. The E4s have gotten a pretty good tongue lashing when it comes to the lows. I can't say that I disagree. still, in terms of solo acoustic stuff, you can hear EVERYTHING and it's fantastic.

I guess it comes down to the fact that all of these headphones have their own unique flavors and your own personal preferences come heavily into play. It seems like we all try to find out which is the very BEST, whether it be an IEM or some other type of headphone. We probably do this because we don't want to keep experimenting and spending more money; yet we love experimenting and spending more money. Haha. It's a double-edged sword.

Anyway, like I said in my post earlier, I really need to listen to a pair of Etys. As far as clarity goes people seem to love them. I have heard that their almost too precise, though, and lack body (soul?). I'll eventually find out. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about these three that I reviewed (poorly, I'm sure).

Thanks for all of the responses, people.

-T

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow newbie...lol. I am really surprised that you found the Shure E4s lacking in bass. I have not heard them but I have the E5c and the E500s and thought that they have a real bass presence/punch. I had never really heard of anything from Shure with a lack in the bass department...more to the fact that they were maybe a bit heavy in this area. I use them mainly for my portable set up now but will be interested to see what the other IEM fanboys have to say. Now that I look at it this probably is of no help to you as I have not had experience with the array that you are looking at. Seems that the Shures were down on your list but the E5c or the E500s might be to your liking. I don't want to insult your intelligence with the correct earpiece fit as it sounds as if you have spent alot of time with the IEMs but if it is incorrect the bass really is going to drop off. They have the new Westone 3s coming out here soon so that might be another option as well.

Cheers!

Which do you like more e5c or e500 and what do you think are the main differences?

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibanez173 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which do you like more e5c or e500 and what do you think are the main differences?

Well, the hard thing for me right now is that the e5c's are back in the States as they got alot of use and I think I used them at the gym too much. One side was shorting out a bit and I haven't had a chance to play around with them. I sort of feel that the e500s are a bit weaker in the highs but I have been using the senn hd650s for quite some time, it may be that the e500s are more balanced and it took me a bit to get used to them.

The e5c's have a clear plastic on the cables that can green over time and I get the feeling that they look sort of like the little monitors the Secret Service guy would use....not that that bothers me.

The Shure e500's have the newer design with the black plastic that is more flexible. I think that some thought that the e5cs seemed to be better put together as far as the duarbility but so far that hasn't been the case for me.

The newer models look like they will all be redesigned with solid color cables...

I really liked the e5c's and that is why I bought the e500s when they came out but it took me a bit to warm to their sound. They are sensitve but I have the Redwine Audio Imod and they sound good against the pure black background it provides. I haven't had any problems with any hiss in the background. I don't have alot to compare but from what I read their are alot of people that think the Senns have too much bass...I don't...the Shure e500 has a kick though. I am waiting on the Grado RS-1 which are suppose to punch you in your headspace so I can reference them from there.

A heads up if anyone is looking into the Shures right now...Todd from www.ttvj.com has a couple of used pairs on his site www.ttvj.com. Well, I checked and he has the e5c for $250 (B stock) now:

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...d3056b43f94112.

Also I am never had the etys but they are having a great sale on them. They are all sold out here on head fi now but they may still have some on amazon or J&R audio...I think that they were between 165 and 180...I am not sure of everyone's budgets but that seems like a great price to try them out. I had just put down money on RS-1s or they would be in my room right now.

I like them both I guess. I really listen to alot of different stuff and I am happy to switch between my phones for the time being. I haven't done too much side by side with the two top of the line Shure's but I have been happy with the e500s that are here in Kabul with me. They get more play in my portable system as when I use them I can't hear anything except the music...not the guy knocking on the door, not the base warning system, etc. There are alot of great reviews about both on this site.

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

My impressions:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro- Out of the box I was really impressed. Never have I heard a drummer's cymbals so clearly. It was like the cymbal was being played right in front of me. I was ecstatic. My music now had an oomph that had been lacking from the Shure's. The oomph, however, was actually a little too much for me and I found myself fiddling with my equalizer quite a bit to get the right sound. The instruments, however, sounded dynamic! What worried me was "Is this the way the band intended them to sound?". I have read that a true audiophile strives for balance in their headphones. These phones seemed like they had just spent some time using steroids. The way I look at them is sort of like fast food. For that quick fix these phones are great. They're fun. They're loud. They really let you hear things and pack a punch. In the long run, however, they do not present a smooth well-balanced sound. The dual driver technology is phenomenal. I love that the highs and lows have their own driver. You can truly hear it in the music. The mids, I found, were a little understated. It's almost as if there wasn't any room for them. I do, however, prefer these to the Shure's- at least when listening to rock music (like The Who, The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, etc). I will say that these happen to fit my ears great even though, yes, if worn as suggested they ARE like sticking baby carrots in your ears. I wear them modified now so that I do not look as much like Frankenstein. I get a great seal from them and they are very light as to not really be noticed while wearing. I wish the cord were just a tad longer. A great deal financially for 2 drivers.

Durability: 3 (the plug is separating from the plastic/rubber that holds it. It's not even a month old) It also seems like the phones could crack REALLy easily.
Mids: 3
Lows: 5

Westone UM2- Once again, while the Super.fi jumped out at me right out of the box, the UM2 didn't. This disappointed me at first. The super.fi is like that person in the room who talks the loudest and is impossible to ignore. I was determined to give the UM2s a chance, though, especially since the UM2 has gotten such rave reviews on here and from EarphoneSolutions. So, that's what I did. The first thing that i DID notice was balance- ahhhhh. The bass was there. The treble was there. The highs, mids and lows were all present and I was pleasantly surprised. No adjusting my equalizer. Then, after a week or so of burn-in (something I'm still trying to figure out if it's a real thing or not) they got better. Either they got better, my ears adjusted to them or both. I don't know. These are by far the most comfortable IEMs that I have ever worn. They slip right in, are not noticeable, you don't notice that you're wearing them, etc. Very nice design. I don't happen to love the cord. It's too short and it seems like if I were to snag it on something that I would be screwed. Shure's cord is ideal for me. I do like, however, how light it is- which is a contradiction to what I just said but I'm pointing out the positives. I like that they drape over your ears and down your back without noticing them being there. But like I said, I'm always worried of them getting caught and being ripped from the monitors. The positives are balance and comfort. The negatives are the price tag and the cord.

comfort: 5
durability: 4
Mids: 5
Lows: 4

Summing up- I wear the UM2s the most. I find the balance is what I appreciate the most in my IEM. I want to be able to hear everything. I do not want one thing overpowering the others (UE- bass, Shure- treble). The UM2s are comfortable, sound great and are versatile for my listening arenas (home, subway, bus, etc). But I would like to get all of YOUR impressions of what you think- not necessarily of my review but of these IEMs. Comparisons would be nice not just your typical TEAM ETYMOTIC responses. Yes, i know, i know, I need to try the ETYs. I will. I have to let my wallet replenish, though, so give me some time.

what do you all think? Which is the best of these? which is the worst? What are your experiences with them?

Thanks so much. This is a great site, an expensive hobby (ugh), and an addiction that I may have to seek help for eventually. Now let the newbie have it.

-T

I agree with your reviews of these two for the most part. I have had both (I also had the e500 for a while).
The SF.5 is the best deal IEM out there if they fit your ear and stay in. That is not the case for everyone, me included. I tried the FS mod with some luck, but in the end I had to adjust them to stay sealed for any period longer than about 20 or 30 minutes. That was the show stopper for me. I LOVED their sound and think I might eventually end up with UE5Cs (the customs with the same guts as the SF5).

I have the UM2 and it is the IEM I decided to stick with, of the 3 I had. Its comfort is the best in the biz - small units and a great cord. The Y of the cord is a bit short, but not that big of a deal. Their sound is very good, though I agree with you that it takes some time to really get into them. Unlike the SF5, the UM2 gets better every time you listen. I think it is a combo of your ears getting used to the sound, a burn in effect, and getting better at what fit works best for you.

The e500 is a great sounding IEM. It sounds great out of the box. It is not far off either the SF.5 or the UM2 IMHO - Plenty of impact and low end. It has better mids and highs than either of the other two, but not by a huge margin. the feq response chart on them and the SF.5 is actually very close.
The combo of the price ($500 list, though some are selling them for a good deal less) and the horrible cables made them a no go for me. I just do not understand the thickness of the cables when UE and Westone can get simiilar sound and good durability with a cable that is probably 1/5 as thick.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow newbie...lol. I am really surprised that you found the Shure E4s lacking in bass. I have not heard them but I have the E5c and the E500s and thought that they have a real bass presence/punch. I had never really heard of anything from Shure with a lack in the bass department...more to the fact that they were maybe a bit heavy in this area.

I own the e4c and the super.fi 5 pros (got the ue's 3 weeks back and the shures 2 weeks before that)

I think with the shures the bass response is 'fixed' once you get to they're e5xx - from what I've heard. Once you listen the the UEs the e4c, although having presence AND punch, lacks power. Its in the background - with the mids and highs in front. I love my e4cs but i really need to plug an amp to bring the bass strength out. I love the tightness of the bass and the velvetiness it brings to vocals! But I'm always wishing the bass kick just a wee bit more. I'm hoping to get the e500's but REALLY need to save up AND re-rip my music at a higher bit rate....and get a 80gb ipod as well.... (i think my wallet just yelped at me!)

In addition to what I'm listening to I like to thrown how and where I'm listening to my music. If I have room to plug bring an amp with me the e4cs are my presence - also the fit, for me, is much better and the shure's isolation is great for my 8 hour flights can't here anything or anyone. the UEs are so convenient when I just want to carry my ipod in my pocket and travel light. They don't fit nearly as well (small ear canals I think) but are much easier to remove without scrapping my ear canal! Also the slightly less isolation makes it better for walking about and trying to avoid getting run over by cars/trams!

Thats it... my 2cents
etysmile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 10
See, I don't have an amp (yet). I do most of my listening on the go these days due to the nature of my job and where I work. This is why I have been investing so much time in researching and testing IEMs. When I listen at home I normally do it though plain ole speakers (imagine that!).

I find it pretty hard to do harc-core comparisons between IEMs. It's not like you can just rip them right off and throw the next pair on. You really have to listen carefully. I generally use about 5 songs to do my comparisons. I've actually even been taking notes during the songs. I write down what I hear, what I notice, what I don't notice, what I like, what I don't like, etc. And I try to keep tabs on what part of the sing I noticed these things at. Then I switch phones and do it again. I swear, sometimes I feel like someone should be paying me to do this stuff. I bet everyone here wishes they had a job that PAID them to do the work that they do on their equipment.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be sticking with the UM2s for a while. My next step will probably be a custom molded one from UE. At this point I'm not going to pay just $100 to upgrade from the UM2. If I'm going to upgrade my phones I want to HEAR and I mean really HEAR and FEEL what I paid for. If I go from the UM2 to say the E500s I doubt there will be much of a significant distinction. So when I have some money to burn (hardly ever) I'll get my ears molded. Yay.

Thanks again for all of the opinions/suggestions.

-T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back