$3.65/gallon Premium in NJ
Sep 3, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #76 of 113
11,195mpg (eleven thousand miles to the gallon)
Maybe It's time to start buying smaller, more fuel efficient cars?

mnfuel02.jpg

My next door neighbour has one of these:

1997%20Land%20Rover%20Discovery.jpg

She doesn't work and all she uses it for is to transport her son to and from school which is exactly 1,250 yards away.... she starts this monster up in the morning and leaves it idling for 20 minutes, she then chucks the child in drives up the road... drops him off and comes back a few minutes later. I'm sorry but these people are idiots as far as I'm concerned and the unfortunate thing is there are a lot of them about. They buy these humungous bus like vehicles only to drive up to the shops or school in them.... what a waste of good fuel!

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #77 of 113
What´s the streets like at your place? Muddy, hilly, one lane forest paths?
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #79 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
..."My next door neighbour has one of these:"...

BTW. We have some of that category here as well. Most of them have never been in fourth gear, let alone in low-gear.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: My spelling is awful...

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Time to start making and selling nuclear powered cars
wink.gif

That would be much more costly.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #81 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
tongue.gif

dont forget the FUN factor!!!

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #82 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by xilron
Regular is $3.47 here in White Plains, New York (just north of the city). CRAZY! Time for public transportation.

Wish we had that option around here. If so, I would have started along time ago.

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #83 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
dont forget the FUN factor!!!

BP would change to BU (British Uranium) and starts to sell uranium fuel at their stations.....
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #84 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by xilron
Regular is $3.47 here in White Plains, New York (just north of the city). CRAZY! Time for public transportation.

And here in Bronxville, the local Mobil Station is out of Regular and has hardly any customers. I guess people are changing their driving, or at least gas purchasing habits...

Sep 3, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #85 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
11,195mpg (eleven thousand miles to the gallon)
Maybe It's time to start buying smaller, more fuel efficient cars?

I guess that's cool, but a little silly in the form they describe it. It has to go 15mph for 10 miles. If I wanted to do that, I could buy a bicycle and use no gasoline whatsoever. Hopefully they learn some things they can apply to cars of the size and speed people actually want. Hell, I'm half tempted to buy a motorcycle. 60-80mpg and I'd get awesome parking at work
wink.gif

Quote:

Time to start making and selling nuclear powered cars

I know you're joking, but I think this has been looked at before. It turns out that nuclear propulsion is only a good idea for vehicles of a certain size (unless you're a zombie). The more radioactive material you have, the more shielding you need. More shielding is heavy. The heavier you are, the more power you need to make to move that weight. You can see where this is going. At one point they had nuclear test planes and apparently they were basically flying lead bathtubs to protect the crew. Might make more sense for UAVs so they could fly forever and nobody to protect from the radiation, but you still have the crashing issue to deal with.

If you want a nuclear powered car, you should probably hope for sustainable fusion and THEN hope they can miniaturize it enough.

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #86 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
..."I know you're joking, but I think this has been looked at before. It turns out that nuclear propulsion is only a good idea for vehicles of a certain size (unless you're a zombie). The more radioactive material you have, the more shielding you need. More shielding is heavy. The heavier you are, the more power you need to make to move that weight. You can see where this is going. At one point they had nuclear test planes and apparently they were basically flying lead bathtubs to protect the crew. Might make more sense for UAVs so they could fly forever and nobody to protect from the radiation, but you still have the crashing issue to deal with.

If you want a nuclear powered car, you should probably hope for sustainable fusion and THEN hope they can miniaturize it enough.

I’m with you, but lets not forget about the enormous, necessary, global coordinated research effort, needed to make that a reality in our time. It is also a stiking pararadox: That we will have to allow for a lot of "dirty" industry production in order to make "clean" energy eventually. Can the planet take that? If you ask me - yes - well - it has to: That is the best we can do. [size=xx-small]Sorry about the "rant".
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #87 of 113
Quote:

Time to start making and selling nuclear powered cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
tongue.gif

Especially when bin Laden gets his hands on a critical mass of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back