3.5mm to 2 RCA cable...
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Foe-hammer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've recently made a 3.5mm male to male interconnection cable with star quad cable, techflex, and with switchcraft connectors. It turned out great. Anyway i need to make a 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable.

My question is, how do i connect the two cables coming from the 2 RCA plugs to the 1 cable connected to the 3.5mm male plug? Do i need some kind of Y connector? And if so, where can i buy one?

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by balrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left signal goes to the tip. Right signal to the ring and both grounds go to the sleeve.

I think there is tutorial in the DIY section how to do this with pics.

I've read the tutorial, but don't know where to get a Y connector to hook everything together.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 12
if ur using a star quad cable its actually all 1 piece... not middle connection..

on the mini..1 cable left, 1 cable right and 2 for ground.

on the rca end is where u split the 4 cables into 2 pairs. the 2 ground on the mini goes to the each of the RCAs n the left n right respectively.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 12
@Punnisher

love that avatar man...wicked cool

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks guys for the help.

But if i split the star quad into two (to form the Y split), i'll just have bare wires going to the 2 RCA cables. It won't have the star quad shielding and plastic covering to cover the bare wires, and thereby my techflex will be too big to cover them. How would i go about making it all pretty with techflex and all?

What am i missing?

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 12
You can put a layer of 1/8" heatshrink on those ends and put smaller gauge techflex over it directly. I did this and it looks quite nice. You could always put two layers of 1/8" heatshrink if you wanted it a little bigger, but you also want some flexibility.

Madman: Thanks, I like it too.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for the help.

But if i split the star quad into two (to form the Y split), i'll just have bare wires going to the 2 RCA cables. It won't have the star quad shielding and plastic covering to cover the bare wires, and thereby my techflex will be too big to cover them. How would i go about making it all pretty with techflex and all?

What am i missing?

well...when u strip the shield and plastic covering for the y split ull have enough to re-use it for 1 side right? just need to find another for the other side...

thats what i do...i do have some spares of the plastic covering and shield so i tend to re-use them.

else there are smaller guage techflex as mentioned by Punnisher. heck u can even use colored heatshrinks as well. up to ur imagination. sometimes the bare wires twisted together can look quite good too.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks much for the help, all.

It all makes perfect sense, now. I'll probably go with the smaller techflex, and just use regular heat shrink to cover the junction of where it Y splits.

Another question: what kind of RCA connectors would you recommend, and where would you recommend getting them? I plan on getting the techflex from partsexpress.

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back