3.5mm stereojack with integrated switch?
Jul 12, 2005 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cire

500+ Head-Fier
do these exist? i keep forgetting to turn my mint off, so if the jack also had an on/off switch that would save me quite a few batteries.

thanks

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm sure something of the sort exists. For example the headphone jack in the iPods has an autopause feature, which now, seems to cause more trouble than it has solved.
rolleyes.gif
I also recalled seeing a CMOY on eBay that automatcially turns on and off as you plug and unplug. The only problem is that I don't where to find these plugs. The way they seem to work is that when you plug it your headphones in it either creates a mini short circuit of a it makes some sort of contact. Then you have some sort of built in system that switches the amp on and off. So I'm guessing that you'll also have to build something that allows that functionality. How ever you do it, I hope you get it to work successfully.

Jul 13, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 14
yeah i got the idea from the new ipod minis.

what part of the plug can i short out without feeding voltage back into the board and frying it?

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 14
i've been looking for a few days now, digikey doesnt have anything remotely close and i my friend has been helping me and he found something very close at mouser, but its off when plugged in, on when taken out

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay21pee
Where can someone buy colored 3.5mm jacks?

pff...thats easy
tongue.gif

spray paint and tape

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 14
cire the off when plugged in and on when taken out is common to all the 3.5mm switched jacks of which i've used several and seen plenty. It's strange that the bigger stores don't carry them as Radioshack and the like should stock some. Try some smaller stores or pro audio stores.

You can use a not gate to circumvent the normally closed design of the switches but that would chew miniscule ammounts of battery unless something fancy is done.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Can't you just wire it in the jack so that when a plug is inserted it completes the circuit for the power? Just take the - on the power and run one end to say the right and the other end to the ground. When a plug is inserted, it will power on, no? Im not sure how itd effect your sound though.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyDean
Can't you just wire it in the jack so that when a plug is inserted it completes the circuit for the power? Just take the - on the power and run one end to say the right and the other end to the ground. When a plug is inserted, it will power on, no? Im not sure how itd effect your sound though.

i thought about doing that, but i'm afraid it might feed voltage back into the amp circuit. JimmyDean from EOCF?

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Yessah

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back