3.5mm plug's cable entry hole won't accept Star Quad
Feb 16, 2004 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Demolition

1000+ Head-Fier
I received some Switchcraft 35HDNN (3.5 mm stereo) plugs and decided to make a mini-RCA. I cut and stripped some Star Quad, then tried to slide the plug's housing onto it... but, it wouldn't fit. I tried to jam it on, but no dice.

So, I measured the housing's cable entry hole diameter and found that it was ~4.3 mm. Star Quad (~6.3 mm diam.) won't fit. Couldn't quite jam Mini Star Quad (~5 mm) through, either. Switchcraft's 35HDNN datasheet shows that it should accept cables up to 0.25 in (6.35 mm). Here's a photo of one of the plugs that I received:

35HDNN-diam.jpg

Note the thick rim around the cable hole that doesn't seem to be present in the datasheet photo (or on other 35HDNN's I've had previously). So, it's got me baffled.
confused.gif

I guess I'll have to use this batch for something else unless I drill out the cable hole.

D

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 7
I know it sounds so simple but.......... all you have to do is grab your drill a good bit and help it to fit.
biggrin.gif

You are going to heatshrink over it anyhow so looks are not that important.?!
Just make sure to clean up any sharp edges.

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 7
I run into the same problem from time to time.
frown.gif
It can be frustrating when you wait for a week, and the part you ordered isn't the exact part you paid for. Sometimes it's just 'easier' and cheaper to just keep the parts and bring out the tools to remedy the problem.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 7
i am building a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. i am going to build the 1/8" jack directly into the end of the 1/4" handle. but the jack doesn't quite fit, so i am going to dremel it
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by MisterX
I know it sounds so simple but.......... all you have to do is grab your drill a good bit and help it to fit.
biggrin.gif

You are going to heatshrink over it anyhow so looks are not that important.?!
Just make sure to clean up any sharp edges.

Yeah, I've already drilled out the hole, and filed and emery-clothed it smooth. It was extra work that shouldn't have been necessary, in my opinion.

As for heatshrink... Originally, I wasn't going to put heatshrink over the handle. The previous batch of 35HDNN plugs that I bought had 6.35mm holes that allowed cable+TechFlex to fit perfectly into them. As I said before, it's baffling why this batch has 4mm holes instead.
Quote:

Originally posted by itza2mer
It can be frustrating when you wait for a week, and the part you ordered isn't the exact part you paid for.

Yup, definitely frustrating. I've been making computer and audio cables for years and can't recall anything quite like this occurring, where the part's actual specs deviate so much from the manufacturer's stated specs.

It's a pretty minor detail, in the grand scheme of things, but it sort of ruined my day.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
i am building a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. i am going to build the 1/8" jack directly into the end of the 1/4" handle. but the jack doesn't quite fit, so i am going to dremel it

That should be pretty neat-looking. Post some pics of that when you complete it.

By the way, did that Eagle aluminum knob from Mouser arrive yet? What do you think of it?

D.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition

By the way, did that Eagle aluminum knob from Mouser arrive yet? What do you think of it?

D.

yeah, it looks pretty good. they both do, which were you wondering about again?? the smooth one or the other one? i decided to use the smooth one because it is bigger and looks better on the case. when i am done i will post pics.

i will start a new thread about my 1/4 to 1/8 adapter as i am done now
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
yeah, it looks pretty good. they both do, which were you wondering about again?? the smooth one or the other one? i decided to use the smooth one because it is bigger and looks better on the case. when i am done i will post pics.

I think I was wondering about the other one. MPN71, I believe the number was. It had ridges on the sides and a little beak, as I recall.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back