3.5mm > LOD
Aug 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JuicyKong

New Head-Fier
Got Fiio E17 today, but i got a problem.
I can only use 96k 24bit in usb mode which connect to my PC? I understand the 3.5mm cable is an analog, and analog audio doesn't involve bit rate or sample depth. The audio output of analog is same as the source, but what about using a LOD cable with my ipod? LOD is considered to be digital output. While the E17 connect with my ipod, It only indicates 48k 16bit. Does it mean the sound quality of LOD cable is worse than 3.5mm jack when i play a 96k 24bit song?
Why am i still paying 10 dollars extra to downgrade my amp?

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Got Fiio E17 today, but i got a problem.
I can only use 96k 24bit in usb mode which connect to my PC? I understand the 3.5mm cable is an analog, and analog audio doesn't involve bit rate or sample depth. The audio output of analog is same as the source, but what about using a LOD cable with my ipod? LOD is considered to be digital output. While the E17 connect with my iPod, It only indicates 48k 16bit. Does it mean the sound quality of LOD cable is worse than 3.5mm jack when i play a 96k 24bit song?
Why am i still paying 10 dollars extra to downgrade my amp?

The LOD cable is sending (carrying) an analog (wave) line-out audio signal from the iPod to the Fiio E17, not digital.
The LOD connection is bypassing the E17's DAC (Digital to Analog converter), because the E17 is not able to get a digital signal from the iPod.
The cheapest device that can get a digital signal from portable apple product is the HRT iStreamer, it's $150.

The more correct term is 24-bit/92khz (not 96k 24bit), but no such thing as a 24-bit/96khz (or 96k 24bit) song
your music files are 128kps, 192kps, 256kps, 320kps
kps (kilo bits per second) and Khz (sample rate) is not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back