3.5mm jack replacement for bent jack on JVC HA-RX900
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bartzy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

The 3.5mm jack on my JVC HA-RX900 has been bent by accident and I want to replacement.
Can you suggest a good and cheap jack replacement and a place to buy it online?

How can I get the same rubber connection between the cable and the jack, just like the original jack had (see picture) ?

Thanks!
Bar.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Don't think you can replace it without soldering.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 15
I have no problem soldering it, I'll take it to someone good at it :)

I just need to know a cheap and good replacement jack I can buy online, and what else do I need to buy to make the connection between the jack and the cable look like in the picture (that rubber part).

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 15
I don't really know..

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 15
The process would involve making a casting/mold of the existing rubber, then once you've soldered on a new plug use the mold to pot the new plug/cable in rubber. Imho way way more effort and expense than any headphone is worth but it could be done. A better option would be to replace the entire cable.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 15
I use the Amphenol connectors from redco audio on all of my cables, they are very affordable and are a very sturdy high quality jack. These jacks also have a rubber boot strain relief that will conform to just about any size cable and provide excellent strain relief.

for the price you just can't go wrong.
http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-KS3PB-AU.html

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks dj1001,

That's pretty much what I've been looking for. It is not a problem to cut the old jack from the cable and soldier this one?

Also - Is this the best strain-relief rubber I can get? The one that came with my JVC seems better ?

Thanks!
Bar.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 15
  Thanks dj1001,

That's pretty much what I've been looking for. It is not a problem to cut the old jack from the cable and soldier this one?

Also - Is this the best strain-relief rubber I can get? The one that came with my JVC seems better ?

Thanks!
Bar.

Just tie a knot inside the cup with the cable you get. That makes a very good strain relief, as you'll have to either destroy the cup or snap the cable to break it.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Ohh, I thought it was on the cup side..

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 15
I've run some pretty crappy stiff cable into the amphenol jacks and haven't had any issues. For a little extra support you can put some shrink wrap over the cable and run it underneath the strain relief on the amphenol jack.

here is the connection on my custom cable for my HD558's.

These jacks also have nice big tabs on the inside for easy soldering, just hack the old plug off measure out how far to strip each wire back and don't forget to put the jack cover and any shrink wrap on the cable before soldering it. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 15
that is the same as the one I provided it's just silver instead of black and it is gold plated. the body of the amphenol jack is diecast aluminum and just the black boot on the back of the body is rubber.

here is a link to all 3 configurations of the amphenol 3.5mm connectors available on redco. 
http://www.redco.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back