3.5mm jack, 3 pole should be enough, why bother 4 or 5 poles?
Oct 30, 2005 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
Ordering some 3.5mm jacks, see this PDF:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/0287.pdf

Why the same jack always have 3 versions, 3 poles, 4 poles and 5 poles. Such as fig 58, ABC versions. Wouldn't 3 poles be enough? What's the point of the 4 pole and 5 pole version? or they have some special purpose?

and anybody knows the difference of CP-3535N-ND and CP1-3535N-ND?

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 18
Think about the iPod (color screen) for example. You can buy a cable for it that has 4 poles, left, right, ground, AND video out, all for hooking it up to a tv. so i guess when you get to 4 or 5 poles, 3 are for audio and the remainging 1 or 2 aare for other purposes.

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecmoy
Think about the iPod (color screen) for example. You can buy a cable for it that has 4 poles, left, right, ground, AND video out, all for hooking it up to a tv. so i guess when you get to 4 or 5 poles, 3 are for audio and the remainging 1 or 2 aare for other purposes.

no, if you read the PDF, it shows that in 5 pole version, 2 poles are actually identical. They are connected inside the jack. And the 3.5mm jack only accept stand 3 pole male plug.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Why these jacks are made like this, I do not know. Made for special appliances maybe?
But thecmoy is right, the colour iPod headphone-jack accepts a 3.5 mm plug with tip, two rings and sleewe and a 3.5 mm plug with tip, one ring and sleewe. The plug with two rings is slightly longer than the plug with one ring, and the tip on the longer one is connecting to composite-video-out signal from the iPod!
Without the extra ring the plug is a standard headphone-plug.

thanks for info, but that still doesn't quite explain the 4 and 5 pole question since 2 poles are actually identical. looking for some other answers....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 18
they're switched jacks. when you don't have any plug connected to the jack, then the extra poles are connected to the main poles. so say i want to have an rca input and mini input to an amp, then i can connect the RCA input to the extra poles of the mini jack. so that when there is no mini source plugged in the RCA input gets routed through the mini jack automatically to the input of the amp. and when the mini jack is plugged in then the rca is disconnected and the signal from the mini is fed to the amp

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
they're switched jacks. when you don't have any plug connected to the jack, then the extra poles are connected to the main poles. so say i want to have an rca input and mini input to an amp, then i can connect the RCA input to the extra poles of the mini jack. so that when there is no mini source plugged in the RCA input gets routed through the mini jack automatically to the input of the amp. and when the mini jack is plugged in then the rca is disconnected and the signal from the mini is fed to the amp

so technically for the single input amp, the 3 pole version is always enough, right?
rolleyes.gif

what about the difference of CP-3535N-ND and CP1-3535N-ND?
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 18
well the manuf doesn't show any data for the SJ-3535 just SJ1-3535 so it's possible that it's simply an updated version of the jack.

yep a 3 connector jack is fine. i find most of the jacks i come across are switched so i use them. on a preampi built i used the switching jacks wired to feed the left hand signal in to the right hand jack (effectively mono) if i don't have anything plugged in to the right hand jack.

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
well the manuf doesn't show any data for the SJ-3535 just SJ1-3535 so it's possible that it's simply an updated version of the jack.

yep a 3 connector jack is fine. i find most of the jacks i come across are switched so i use them. on a preampi built i used the switching jacks wired to feed the left hand signal in to the right hand jack (effectively mono) if i don't have anything plugged in to the right hand jack.

thanks, pal!
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 18
Sorry to dig up a relatively "old" thread, but the 4 pin jacks are commonly used in A/V, not just "audio" For instance, they use a 4 conductor jack for video cameras/camcorders.

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
Sorry to dig up a relatively "old" thread, but the 4 pin jacks are commonly used in A/V, not just "audio" For instance, they use a 4 conductor jack for video cameras/camcorders.

I think this 4 pin jack is different. As you can see in the PDF, in the 4 pin version, 2 of them are connected inside. I think the switched jack explanation makes sense.

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 18
is there actually a problem of not using switching jacks when using dual input? i've just ran the wires from the jack and the RCA's straight to the board. No switching jacks used. Is this a problem?

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DolbyR
is there actually a problem of not using switching jacks when using dual input? i've just ran the wires from the jack and the RCA's straight to the board. No switching jacks used. Is this a problem?

Only if you plug in 2 sources in at the same time

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
thanks for info, but that still doesn't quite explain the 4 and 5 pole question since 2 poles are actually identical. looking for some other answers....
rolleyes.gif

the ipod company (haha, fun stuff) may hve bought a batch of 5-pole jacks at a discount, or may use 5-pole jacks in a DIFERENT product (with all 5 poles) making the ease of buying 1 product outweigh the costs. also, the seperate poles may both be to ground, but they may be to grounds which canot be "influenced" by another signal.

auto manufacturers OFTEN build wiring harnesses this way. LOTS of cars not equipt with abs/speed sensitive power steering/VTEC, etc have the wires already installed if that was an option in that model year& chasis. it costs less to make EVERY harness the same, and not use some stuff than to make 2 or 3 or more.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 18
  Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire

I think this 4 pin jack is different. As you can see in the PDF, in the 4 pin version, 2 of them are connected inside. I think the switched jack explanation makes sense.

I'm totally digging up an "old" thread, I found this as I was researching around wanting to know the difference from "3.5mm jack 3 pole should be enough, why bother with 4 to 5 pole," myself.

I'm getting into Noise Canceling earphones, as the business-product-model is a bulky external pack or lion-battery. My first experience with this was a Sennheiser, AA battery packed collapsible headset, back in the day (prob when this post was up), it was pretty amazing tech as it wasn't widely used. Now, a decade later, Sony's mobile phone line has figured how to make the 3.5mm jack itself the power source taking out all the weight and using the phone for it's sensors more/less. This feature first started in devices like the Sony Xperia Z2s, Z3, Z3+, Z4, Z5, Z5 Premium, etc. for Noise Canceling in-hear bud products i.e.; Sony XBA-NC85d, Sony MDR-NC31em, and Sony MDR-NC750.

Now my question is, are the 5 poles used for conducting power for "active noise cancellation" or for Hi-Resolution audio "Hi Res Audio"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back