3.5mm disaster
Oct 1, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nausicaa

Head-Fier
I recently attempted to recable a pair of headphones. They were Sennheiser 205s. I ruined the 3.5mm and because there was a cheapo I took apart, I put it on the poor quality 3.5mm jack. Only problem is the cable doesn't seem to be able to be solderable (solder doesn't stick, using 60/40) and I was wondering if the jack could be causing the tinny sound. Any suggestions? If you have a good price for a jack from online or yourself, please let me know too! Thanks.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 6
the wire is enamel coated, what i usually do is crank my iron, get a blob of solder, and hold the blob to the wire to melt off the enamel.

daleproaudio has neutrik jacks for about a dollar and free shipping

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 6
yes the reason the solder wont stick is because you are trying to solder to the enamel insulation, as the poster above says, the easiest way to get it off without a solder pot is to get a blob of hot solder on the end of your iron and dip the wire in and melt/burn the enamel off; this has the effect of tinning the wire t the same time, so it will be ready to be soldered. you can also burn it off with a lighter, but the solder method is cleaner and tins it.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 6
I use an xacto knife to scrape off the enamel. ymmv, though
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an xacto knife to scrape off the enamel.

+ 1 on that. But this will depend on the gauge of the wire. Actually, I do some scraping, then hit it with some hot solder until the solder actually sticks to the wire. Presto!

By the way - yes - this is certainly why the sound might be "tinny". Just cut the cable off again and start over. You can do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back