3.5mm attenuator to use with TV?
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
I recently got a new TV and the headphone port seems to be borked. I use a set of Creative Gigaworks speakers that I love for sound, as the sound from the TV is horrid. The problem is I have a bad hiss when I use the headphone port, regardless of volume of the TV or the speakers, though it increases as I turn up the speakers themselves and maybe when I turn up the TV as well.

I've checked other cables, plugged in headphones and also tried a ground loop thinger that someone recommended. I've since bought an optical sound bar that is arriving today but honestly, I'd still like to try to figure out if the port is just bad or if there's something I can salvage. I notice that when I turn my TV on, my speakers pop VERY loudly, like there's way too much power going to them. They always popped with every other TV I used when powered on, but nearly as loudly or drastically.

That's led me to believe I should use an attenuator, but I'm honestly not sure where to start with this. The speakers connect via 3.5mm jack and they cannot connect any other way. I was hoping there's be an attenuator I can plug my speakers into, then plug the 3.5mm of the attenuator into my TV.

Thoughts?

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 2
There are a few ebay sellers that make 3.5mm attenuators.  Just search for etymotic adapter.  They will be 75ohms by default, but those sellers can make them other values as well.  I do not know what to recommend, maybe 150ohms is the right place to start.  I think one of those FiiO units like the D03 or D07 might be best, you might get lower noise floor (the hiss you hear) on both headphones and speakers that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back