3.5 to RCA question
Apr 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi,
Sorry if I'm not much of help but in my experience every 3.5 to RCA cable I've tried (over a dozen) regardless of quality has some kind of audible hum to it at higher volumes. Not sure if its inherent in the design of the cable or something I'm doing wrong.  

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 13
You can connect an analog output like an iPod touch to a desktop amplifier with a 3.5 to RCA cable?
If so, ¿There would be no difference or loss of quality in the sound, compared to a more conventional and less rare connection type as USB or Optical?

I'd like to connect my iPod touch 5G in this way to an Stax electrostatic amplifier, but I don't know if it is possible...

(This question might be a little silly to you who have more experience, sorry for that.)

Hi,
Sorry if I'm not much of help but in my experience every 3.5 to RCA cable I've tried (over a dozen) regardless of quality has some kind of audible hum to it at higher volumes. Not sure if its inherent in the design of the cable or something I'm doing wrong.  

There's no reason for audible hum except if the cable is not shielded
or if there's an issue with an open ground loop.

Plugging an i-device into a desktop amplifier is done all the time -
in fact increasingly so.

There are many sources for good cables, mini plug to 2 RCA plugs :
Event Horizon, Amazon, RAM Electronics, and others. Just search
"mini to RCA cable".  Various vendors will custom make cable for you,
a couple that come to mind are bluejeanscable.com and redco.com.

I suggest you go with Mogami, Belden, or Canare cable, 
and suitably high quality fittings from Canare, Neutrik,
Amphenol, or those of similar quality.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Thank you so much!

My idea is to buy a electrostatic headphone Stax and respective amplifier, and use my iTouch 5G as a source/DAC, instead of using a desktop DAC and get the same quality... or worse?

I really love my iTouch, but I don't know if using it as a source is going to be as efficient as using the typical Mac + desktop DAC?

So, best sounding iDevice + Desktop amp is as good as a dedicated DAC, considering i'm using a good mini to RCA cable and not interested on play hi-res files?

Help pls.

The answer to that is 'no', if I'm understanding you correctly.

Because an iDevice may or may not contain an internal DAC.
And even if it does, it's not going to sound as good as a dedicated outboard DAC.

Also, of course an amp is not a DAC > you can get an amp, a DAC, or a combination
of the two.

Finally, there's the issue of the SQ of files that aren't high res.
What do you consider to be high res?  Many, perhaps most, will
say that 320K files are indistinguishable from lossless files.  IMHO
the jury is still out on that.  Certainly, though, you don't want to be
listening to anything less than 320K in terms of musical fidelity.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Thank you so much!

My idea is to buy a electrostatic headphone Stax and respective amplifier, and use my iTouch 5G as a source/DAC, instead of using a desktop DAC and get the same quality... or worse?

I really love my iTouch, but I don't know if using it as a source is going to be as efficient as using the typical Mac + desktop DAC?

So, best sounding iDevice + Desktop amp is as good as a dedicated DAC, considering i'm using a good mini to RCA cable and not interested on play hi-res files?

Help pls.

Should sound great. I use my Modi/Magni at work 99% of the time, but sometimes I have to do drafting work that makes my computer run like crap and stall, so I can't listen to music on it. Running my iPhone 5S into my Magni, or just directly from the phone, still sounds pretty good.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 13
How you connected the iPhone 5S to the Magni?

Something like the guy above posted: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271160268495

Just a 3.5 to RCA cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back