3.5 mm extention cord not working for headset
Mar 25, 2020 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HenningN

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently broke the extention cord for my headset that splits into the green and pink cords that came with the headset originaly. I decided to buy a new one from a store but once I plugged it in the mic and headphone could not be activated simultaneously. Once I activated the second one in realtek hd audio manager one of them would disappear and the pop-up window that appears when a new input is detected would appear again. Both the mic and the headphones work fine when connected separately. Any tips?

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 6
Is this a aftermarket cable or one from the manufacturer?

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Most likely you bought the wrong adpater for your headset.
There are actually two different TRRS standards.

Simply, one is very common with apple devices, and the other with android devices - however this isn't a rule.
It's just one of those stupid things they don't tell you about and they havn't yet standardized.

1585218019079.png

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Most likely you bought the wrong adpater for your headset.
There are actually two different TRRS standards.

Simply, one is very common with apple devices, and the other with android devices - however this isn't a rule.
It's just one of those stupid things they don't tell you about and they havn't yet standardized.

1585218019079.png
Is there any way to recognize which one I've bought so I can find the other type?

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Is there any way to recognize which one I've bought so I can find the other type?
If you have a multimeter, then yes, it's very easy to test.
Just check for continuity between the TRS headphone plug 'ground' and connect that to both the RS of the TRRS plug.
The one that causes the multimeter to beep will be ground, the other will be microphone.
That will tell you which one it is.

Without a multimeter, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to test without being able to make some kind of circuit.

Even a simple test-circuit (like the ones we all learned in school), with a battery, a small lightbulb/LED and 2 bare wires to complete the circuit would have the same effect.
Whichever causes the bulb to light up would be the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back